collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 754367 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #780 on: March 14, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »
So they can definitely fuck up again and this time someone could take advantage. 6 points with 9 to play is fuck all, Wolves were 10 ahead with 8 to play and blew it.

Yes, they could fuck it up. But you have to finish the season somehow, and rewarding teams for points accumulated over eight months seems fairer than disregarding them entirely.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #781 on: March 14, 2020, 05:17:25 PM »
So they can definitely fuck up again and this time someone could take advantage. 6 points with 9 to play is fuck all, Wolves were 10 ahead with 8 to play and blew it.

Yes, they could fuck it up. But you have to finish the season somehow, and rewarding teams for points accumulated over eight months seems fairer than disregarding them entirely.

I guess you think it’s fair to relegate Villa then 😂

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #782 on: March 14, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »
No, we have a game in hand, if we won that we would be out of the bottom three. I think it is fair to promote Villa Ladies. Of all the available options, the 22 team league seems the fairest way of doing things.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #783 on: March 14, 2020, 05:24:40 PM »
Just been reading RAWK and a few of them saying this season should finish regardless and next season is the one that gets altered. Potentially reduce it to 19 games, euro comps knockout only, that kind of thing. Obviously they've got a vested interest but it's a fair idea I think.

I realise this is 10 minutes after saying they'll have to void the season. I'm not sure what to think really, this no sport is hitting me hard!

Offline Dave P

« Reply #784 on: March 14, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »
No, we have a game in hand, if we won that we would be out of the bottom three. I think it is fair to promote Villa Ladies. Of all the available options, the 22 team league seems the fairest way of doing things.

But like I said earlier, what do you do in leagues 1 and 2 where it’s really close? It’s a minefield and the ‘fairest’ thing to do is void the season.  The integrity of all remaining league and cup football for this season is already compromised. Peoples livelihoods have got to be thought about. Imagine the staff jobs lost at a premier league club if they are relegated on essentially a technicality?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #785 on: March 14, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »
But European competition starts in July. Season needs to be finished by then so you know who England's representatives are.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #786 on: March 14, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »

But like I said earlier, what do you do in leagues 1 and 2 where it’s really close? It’s a minefield and the ‘fairest’ thing to do is void the season.  The integrity of all remaining league and cup football for this season is already compromised. Peoples livelihoods have got to be thought about. Imagine the staff jobs lost at a premier league club if they are relegated on essentially a technicality?

That's why you don't relegate anyone, just have more relegations next season. Teams such as Villa Women should be rewarded for their efforts this season, we have already been accumulating players based on being a top flight club next season, why should their efforts be ignored?

Online garyellis

« Reply #787 on: March 14, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
If you look at other sporting events that were due to take place in March they are being rearranged for mid to late May.
And even that is probably optimistic.
The April date was just to give the necessary bodies time to consider the options and make some well meaning statements.
If no more football can be played there will be an effort to find an agreement on the way forward to avoid a litigation fest. That will mean some serious financial sweeteners.
Not a cat in hells chance they will relegate teams that haven't completed their fixtures or be able to reach any agreement to do so.
Promotion maybe different if common ground and a suitable financial incentive can convince those in the mix but the easy option is status quo and void the season.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #788 on: March 14, 2020, 05:45:45 PM »
But European competition starts in July. Season needs to be finished by then so you know who England's representatives are.

European competition doesn't have to start in July and in the circumstances surely it's more sensible to delay that.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #789 on: March 14, 2020, 05:47:30 PM »
Yes, but that isn't up to the Premier League. Obviously, if UEFA announce that they are rescheduling events then it allows a bit more flexibility.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #790 on: March 14, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »
My guess is they’ll hold on to hope that it can all kick off again on the 4th April but there is zero chance of that. The postponement will be moved back to late April and then a final date of early May. After this, the league will be cancelled as they will say they’ve given themselves plenty of opportunity to get it going again.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #791 on: March 14, 2020, 05:57:42 PM »
There is no chance of  football resuming this season - Spain has just goner into lock down and we will inevitably follow. It's over a century since the world encountered a situation remotely like this and there are so many considerations vastly more important to deal with.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #792 on: March 14, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »
Bolton are 21 points from safety, if the season is abandoned do they get the points deduction again next season?

Offline charlatan

« Reply #793 on: March 14, 2020, 06:12:02 PM »
Seems an opportune moment the EFL to announce a completely pointless FFP points deduction for Birmingham City.

OTOH they could wait until next season and give them two deductions at once!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #794 on: March 14, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
The Noses were cleared.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal