collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 747381 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #705 on: March 14, 2020, 11:01:54 AM »
what are all those tossers on Talkshite going to do now there is no sport?

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #706 on: March 14, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
The bottom 6 are all poor in the PL, that is why they are the bottom 6! To single out the bottom 2 or even 3 especially when there are 9 or 10 games remaining and any number of things can happen is not the way of addressing the issue of relegation, otherwise why bother playing 38 games any season, if it's so clear cut.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #707 on: March 14, 2020, 11:10:51 AM »
We've been shit but so have 5/6 other teams, we just don't watch them every week to realise how shit they've been. We have a game in hand that would move us up and above multiple teams and to safety. Given the importance of that game I'd back us to win it every time with the support behind us.

Games behind closed doors or standings as they are are unfair and shit on the integrity of the standings. If the season can't be finished then the only thing to do is void it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #708 on: March 14, 2020, 11:15:33 AM »
Someone’s going to be upset, whatever happens. It’s unavoidable.

Agreed, somebody will be. The important thing now, is that it's not us.

Offline Ads

« Reply #709 on: March 14, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »
True. There’s a sense of fairness in this as well behind the technicalities. Could we really argue if we went down based on this season’s overall performance? Do we deserve a place in the pl more than the top 2 in the championship? Much as I don’t like it, I’d say no and no.

I think you'll find more consensus with that view amongst our neighbours!

Honestly, we're 90 minutes against Sheffield United from being out the bottom 3. We then have a quarter of the season to finish anywhere from bottom to mid table.

I said this before to somebody else and it apes PWS; by your logic this time last year we did not deserve to go up.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #711 on: March 14, 2020, 11:25:48 AM »
True. There’s a sense of fairness in this as well behind the technicalities. Could we really argue if we went down based on this season’s overall performance? Do we deserve a place in the pl more than the top 2 in the championship? Much as I don’t like it, I’d say no and no.

Firstly i know there are a lot bigger things going on than promotion and relegation in football, people’s lives and livelihoods are at risk.

But as this is a football thread, I cannot understand this comment at all. We’ve been rubbish for large parts of this season and have going through a particularly bad run lately, but there is/was still nearly 1/3 of the season left to play. Why do we deserve to going down more than Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham and Brighton?? All of their form is as bad ir nearly as bad as ours and if we won our game in hand, we’d be above 3 of them.

We’ll have to see how things progress over coming weeks, but I think like the public in general footie players will get this at differing times, meaning the season will be unfinishable. Start again in August. There you go.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #712 on: March 14, 2020, 11:27:04 AM »
The true horror of this pandemic moves to another level. Mrs Brown's boys replaces Match Of The Day.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #713 on: March 14, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »
Can anyone point to anything in any handbook or legislation or guidelines or whatever outside of tribal football message boards where it says that under any kind of circumstance a league season can be curtailed with teams having played different numbers of games yet simultaneously be deemed complete?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #714 on: March 14, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »

Firstly i know there are a lot bigger things going on than promotion and relegation in football, people’s lives and livelihoods are at risk.

But as this is a football thread, I cannot understand this comment at all. We’ve been rubbish for large parts of this season and have going through a particularly bad run lately, but there is/was still nearly 1/3 of the season left to play. Why do we deserve to going down more than Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham and Brighton?? All of their form is as bad ir nearly as bad as ours and if we won our game in hand, we’d be above 3 of them.

We’ll have to see how things progress over coming weeks, but I think like the public in general footie players will get this at differing times, meaning the season will be unfinishable. Start again in August. There you go.

I’m playing devil’s advocate a bit.  But it does strike me there are a lot more posters happy with us staying up on a bizarre technicality than there were posters arguing we were going to stay up on merit after the Leicester game. It just feels a little bit, I dunno, desperate.

Imo the game in hand is a little bit of a red herring because of our form and average points per game.

I don’t like it any more than anyone else by the way.

Offline Ads

« Reply #715 on: March 14, 2020, 11:41:40 AM »
You appear to discount the possibility of form changing  marginally, moderately or dramatically.

Now when has that ever happened I wonder...

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #716 on: March 14, 2020, 11:42:08 AM »
The way out of it is to promote Dirty Leeds and the Tesco's and make it a 22 team Premiership. Promote top two in Division one to the Championship etc. Use the money that would have been paid as parachute payments to support the clubs in the Championship and other leagues [average receipts for home games paid out per missed home game], the rest distributed amongst the clubs equally. Start again in August, 5 down three up. Accept doesn't help the local businesses relying on the revenue from footfall around the games but it's a start 

And in another parallel universe ....

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #717 on: March 14, 2020, 11:42:33 AM »
what are all those tossers on Talkshite going to do now there is no sport?

Interview with Ahmed El Ghazi coming up. Seriously. I heard it advertised whilst driving this morning. My first thought was that they must be struggling for content already.

Offline themossman

« Reply #718 on: March 14, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »
Impossible to measure though. League standings and points on the board are the only measurable things in this. Otherwise any team can point to a period in the last few seasons where they went on a hot streak and say we might have done that, so it evens out.

Offline themossman

« Reply #719 on: March 14, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »
The way out of it is to promote Dirty Leeds and the Tesco's and make it a 22 team Premiership. Promote top two in Division one to the Championship etc. Use the money that would have been paid as parachute payments to support the clubs in the Championship and other leagues [average receipts for home games paid out per missed home game], the rest distributed amongst the clubs equally. Start again in August, 5 down three up. Accept doesn't help the local businesses relying on the revenue from footfall around the games but it's a start 

And in another parallel universe ....

Some version of that seems the fairest thing to me as well.

Throwing parachute money at Leeds and stripes would be countered with arguments about how much much money (eg) Swansea made from promotion.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal