collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746922 times)

Online Marlon From Bearwood

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #690 on: March 14, 2020, 09:59:13 AM »
I don't see how you can relegate from some divisions but not others. Relegated clubs will just point to divisions with no relegation and you are into the minefield.

And you can't say we'd definitely lose to Chelsea, Watford have won 1 in 7, a 3-0 battering of the best side in the country.

It's such a legal minefield i'm really glad I don't have to try to work out what to do if this carries on for months.

Yes I agree.

So to tweak it, I would just allow 2 up from each EFL division.

Relegation numbers changed accordingly the following season in order to bring each division back to the numbers it had this season

EFL rules prescribe that all disputes are dealt with pursuant to S5 of the Arbitration Act 1996:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-9--arbitration/

So in my scenario, the only issue would be if the play off contenders in the Championship decided that they wanted to challenge a/the decision to do away with the play offs for this season only.
Works for me. And to compensate those in the play off positions maybe they could all start the season with +6 points?

Or, as Brassneck said, the teams in the championship play off places could be given the parachute payments that would’ve otherwise been paid to the teams relegated from the PL. Seemed like a good idea to me.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #691 on: March 14, 2020, 10:00:59 AM »
We're all going to Hell in a handcart full of dried pasta and toilet roll, but Aston Villa look like maintaining their Premier League status !

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #692 on: March 14, 2020, 10:04:31 AM »
If the fixtures can't be completed, the various leagues will take the simplest path - voiding the season.

Anything else is too complicated.
Yeah, I think it'll be a binary thing - complete the season or void it.

One possibility might be to play the remaining fixtures in Autumn, then run the next couple of seasons from February to October to fit in with the World Cup in Qatar.

Ok in theory but what then happens in the 8 month period following the end of the World Cup and the start of the following season in August 2023?

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #693 on: March 14, 2020, 10:04:46 AM »
If the fixtures can't be completed, the various leagues will take the simplest path - voiding the season.

In disaster movie terms, it seems many are going with a The Day After Tomorrow scenario, in that it's all quite a bit shit for relatively not that long, then it stops, we let out a collective "phew, thank **** that's over", and then get to plough on as if the thing hadn't happened. I think we need to start planning for more of a game-changing 28 Days Later, in that we could be looking at a very different world and way of life almost immediately, while hoping it'll be more like an everything's samey but everything's different Shaun Of The Dead.

Ultimately I believe it'll be voided, it's only a question of when that decision is made and who they can find brave enough to push out in front of the watching world to announce it.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #694 on: March 14, 2020, 10:17:41 AM »

Yeah, I think it'll be a binary thing - complete the season or void it.

One possibility might be to play the remaining fixtures in Autumn, then run the next couple of seasons from February to October to fit in with the World Cup in Qatar.

Ok in theory but what then happens in the 8 month period following the end of the World Cup and the start of the following season in August 2023?
If it works out, we could just stick with February-October seasons and play the World Cup or Euros over Christmas.

If it doesn't, there's a good 3 years to work out an alternative. For example, you could slowly transition back to an August-May season, or play a one-off competition.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #695 on: March 14, 2020, 10:40:53 AM »
We should all find out Thursday, what the plan is if no further games can be played.

I think we may be disappointed at the out come.

Let’s not forget whatever decision is made will affect the outcome of every professional football league in Britain.

If we were in the champions league spots, there is no way we would want
the league to be classed as null and void, there are a lot of powerful clubs that will have more of a say in the outcome of this season than us!

This maybe the opportunity for them to put there European league in place
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:43:41 AM by sid1964 »

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #696 on: March 14, 2020, 10:45:29 AM »
I don't see how you can relegate from some divisions but not others. Relegated clubs will just point to divisions with no relegation and you are into the minefield.

And you can't say we'd definitely lose to Chelsea, Watford have won 1 in 7, a 3-0 battering of the best side in the country.

It's such a legal minefield i'm really glad I don't have to try to work out what to do if this carries on for months.

Yes I agree.

So to tweak it, I would just allow 2 up from each EFL division.

Relegation numbers changed accordingly the following season in order to bring each division back to the numbers it had this season

EFL rules prescribe that all disputes are dealt with pursuant to S5 of the Arbitration Act 1996:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-9--arbitration/

So in my scenario, the only issue would be if the play off contenders in the Championship decided that they wanted to challenge a/the decision to do away with the play offs for this season only.
Works for me. And to compensate those in the play off positions maybe they could all start the season with +6 points?

Or, as Brassneck said, the teams in the championship play off places could be given the parachute payments that would’ve otherwise been paid to the teams relegated from the PL. Seemed like a good idea to me.

I doubt very much they’d be happy with that. They’ll have missed out on the chance to cement a place in the pl or at worst a year of Sky money and the staggered parachute payments post relegation. No comparison.

Offline exigo

« Reply #697 on: March 14, 2020, 10:45:33 AM »

In disaster movie terms, it seems many are going with a The Day After Tomorrow scenario, in that it's all quite a bit shit for relatively not that long, then it stops, we let out a collective "phew, thank **** that's over", and then get to plough on as if the thing hadn't happened. I think we need to start planning for more of a game-changing 28 Days Later, in that we could be looking at a very different world and way of life almost immediately, while hoping it'll be more like an everything's samey but everything's different Shaun Of The Dead.

Ultimately I believe it'll be voided, it's only a question of when that decision is made and who they can find brave enough to push out in front of the watching world to announce it.

So you're saying we should all go down the Winchester and watch reruns of our glorious home wins over a pint?

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #698 on: March 14, 2020, 10:46:47 AM »
Someone’s going to be upset, whatever happens. It’s unavoidable.

Offline exigo

« Reply #699 on: March 14, 2020, 10:47:57 AM »
If anybody has got Avanti trains booked for today's game, with the season ticket discount, then you can ring them up and get them changed, but not refunded.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #700 on: March 14, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »
True. There’s a sense of fairness in this as well behind the technicalities. Could we really argue if we went down based on this season’s overall performance? Do we deserve a place in the pl more than the top 2 in the championship? Much as I don’t like it, I’d say no and no.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #701 on: March 14, 2020, 10:57:38 AM »
True. There’s a sense of fairness in this as well behind the technicalities. Could we really argue if we went down based on this season’s overall performance? Do we deserve a place in the pl more than the top 2 in the championship? Much as I don’t like it, I’d say no and no.

Absolutely we deserve to stay up every bit as much as any other club at the bottom and certainly more than anyone in the Championship.

Offline exigo

« Reply #702 on: March 14, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »
If they don't void it, the fairest middle ground would be to have a promotion/relegation play-off.

Norwich v Leeds
Us v The Carrier Bags

Would make last year's play off semi finals look like friendlies.

Offline myf

« Reply #703 on: March 14, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »

with a game in hand and a quarter of the season to go we fully deserve a place, and we earned our place last year at the expense of Leeds and the Albion. Don't be so soft

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #704 on: March 14, 2020, 10:59:10 AM »

Well that’s kind of arbitrary though. It’s comparing apples and oranges, the top 2 in the Championship are playing much poorer opposition week in week out. If they had played the exact same fixtures as us would they have more points? Maybe not.

Don’t get me wrong we’ve been poor a lot, but we’re two points from moving out of the bottom 3 with a game in hand. It would be completely unfair to say we should go down because we’re in the bottom three now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal