collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746926 times)

Online Marlon From Bearwood

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #645 on: March 13, 2020, 10:30:40 PM »
Surely that just opens up exactly the same issues with teams at the top of the championship?

Here's my solution:

PL members vote on whether LFC should be awarded trophy (overwhelming yes vote)
No teams relegated from PL
2 teams promoted from Championship
Other promotions and relegations in the EFL 2 up, 2 down
No play offs as there will not be enough time
Placings 3rd to 6th in Championship to receive the parachute payments that would have gone to this years 3 teams who would have been relegated
Next season, both the PL & Championship would have 22 teams
Teams in European competition given a bye in FA Cup round 3
Next season, 5 teams would be relegated from PL
This would mean that both divisions would revert to 20 & 24 teams respectively.

The only losers would be the play off candidates but realistically, they would have to be scrapped because of the time factor.  Championship teams would be compensated by way of parachute payments.

Best solution I’ve heard yet.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #646 on: March 13, 2020, 10:42:48 PM »
I don't see how you can relegate from some divisions but not others. Relegated clubs will just point to divisions with no relegation and you are into the minefield.

And you can't say we'd definitely lose to Chelsea, Watford have won 1 in 7, a 3-0 battering of the best side in the country.

It's such a legal minefield i'm really glad I don't have to try to work out what to do if this carries on for months.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #647 on: March 13, 2020, 10:56:56 PM »
I’m no fan of a Liverpool but nobody can say hand on heart they don’t deserve to win the league surely?

I'd give it a fucking good go.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #648 on: March 13, 2020, 10:58:14 PM »
I’m no fan of a Liverpool but nobody can say hand on heart they don’t deserve to win the league surely?

I don't care what happens so long as we stay up.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #649 on: March 13, 2020, 10:59:04 PM »
I don't see how you can relegate from some divisions but not others. Relegated clubs will just point to divisions with no relegation and you are into the minefield.

And you can't say we'd definitely lose to Chelsea, Watford have won 1 in 7, a 3-0 battering of the best side in the country.

It's such a legal minefield i'm really glad I don't have to try to work out what to do if this carries on for months.

Yes I agree.

So to tweak it, I would just allow 2 up from each EFL division.

Relegation numbers changed accordingly the following season in order to bring each division back to the numbers it had this season

EFL rules prescribe that all disputes are dealt with pursuant to S5 of the Arbitration Act 1996:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-9--arbitration/

So in my scenario, the only issue would be if the play off contenders in the Championship decided that they wanted to challenge a/the decision to do away with the play offs for this season only.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #650 on: March 13, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »

It's clearly a broad church, this football supporting malarkey.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #651 on: March 13, 2020, 11:01:03 PM »

Me neither - Besides, I dislike Man City & Leicester more so I'd actually prefer Liverpool to win it.

Offline john2710

« Reply #652 on: March 13, 2020, 11:36:39 PM »
After trying to watch thw Wolves game the other night. Another consideration is that nobody wants to watch football on TV with an empty stadium. It damages the brand.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #653 on: March 13, 2020, 11:38:26 PM »
You cannot relegate teams without the season being finished, I can see the legal fraternity rubbing their hands together with the law suits that would follow. Take Villa, we have a game in hand against Chelsea, you could say that we have little chance but who would have predicted Norwich putting three past Liverpool. The league cannot disadvantage any club, I would just promote the top two out of the Championship and move on.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #654 on: March 13, 2020, 11:42:27 PM »
Sheff Utd is our game in hand? Isn't it?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #655 on: March 13, 2020, 11:47:44 PM »
What I think is an issue is that we all agree you can't relegate teams with so much of the season left, so in the same way I don't see how you can promote teams with so much of the season left as it's the same principle. Which is why i'll be damned if I can think of any system that is actually fair, and isn't a legal minefield.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #656 on: March 14, 2020, 12:09:24 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8111151/Liverpool-set-given-Premier-League-title-season-ended-coronavirus.html

Liverpool given title
Leeds and WBA promoted  5 relegation spots next season and EFL cup not played

In our given situation not a bad set of suggestions

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #657 on: March 14, 2020, 12:18:07 AM »

Me neither - Besides, I dislike Man City & Leicester more so I'd actually prefer Liverpool to win it.

Mods, have a word please. There may be children reading.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #658 on: March 14, 2020, 12:41:59 AM »
What I think is an issue is that we all agree you can't relegate teams with so much of the season left, so in the same way I don't see how you can promote teams with so much of the season left as it's the same principle. Which is why i'll be damned if I can think of any system that is actually fair, and isn't a legal minefield.

Of course there is no solution that is going to be fair.

The most obvious and sensible thing to do is void the season - People are dying.

However, you could relegate teams in the EFL but not the PL - The 2 are completely separate bodies.  Just because the PL don't relegate anyone doesn't mean an EFL team can use this as an argument if they are relegated.

You could also not relegate anyone from any division.  The second option obviously reduces the potential of disputes from relegated clubs.

Keeping the most happy would be to promote the top 2 sides from each division.

Just because nobody is relegated doesn't mean that nobody can be promoted.

I envisage any disputes to go in favour of the EFL/PL given that a worldwide crisis is taking place.  The two leagues are competition organisers and should have the right to make the final decision in any competition.

Whatever decision is arrived at, somebody is going to be upset - Even if it's only those who are currently occupying the play off spots.  The 2 bodies need support from it's members and hopefully, the majority will oblige.

What about the FA Cup?  Have the remaining 8 teams also got a dispute that needs resolving because that will be the first competition to go.  Somebody has to make the decision and that somebody has to be the competition organiser.  I suspect they will do so with the benefit of consultations with lawyers. 

Personally, I'm only concerned about Villa.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #659 on: March 14, 2020, 12:47:39 AM »
To be honest I think this will go on for so long and will change the way we live that much Football will be the least of our worries .

I'd be amazed if even next season will be able to start

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal