collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 753231 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #510 on: March 13, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »
All football should stop for this season with current positions frozen. No relegations from any League. Promote top two from championship to Premier League and run a 22 team League next season. 4 teams to be relegated from PL at the end of next season and two promoted from the championship. Return to 20 teams in season 22/23. Repeat this model in all leagues.
And oh yes make Liverpool champions simply because they are so far ahead that no under team can claim unfairness.
This is broadly what I was thinking, but 4 relegated for 2 seasons running and Chapionship back to 3 promotions.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #511 on: March 13, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »
Sky News are reporting that Christian Purslow was the only CEO to attend the Premier League meeting this morning in discussions about cancelling matches until at least April.
???
Where were the others?!
Video call.....Christian was there to represent our best interests.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #512 on: March 13, 2020, 12:24:41 PM »
Sky News are reporting that Christian Purslow was the only CEO to attend the Premier League meeting this morning in discussions about cancelling matches until at least April.
???
Where were the others?!
Video call.....Christian was there to represent our best interests.
And probably to try to catch Corona just in case as a back up plan.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #513 on: March 13, 2020, 12:32:06 PM »
This town is coming like a ghost town
All the clubs are being closed down
This place is coming like a ghost town
Teams won't play no more
Too much spitting on the dance floor

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #514 on: March 13, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »
All football should stop for this season with current positions frozen. No relegations from any League. Promote top two from championship to Premier League and run a 22 team League next season. 4 teams to be relegated from PL at the end of next season and two promoted from the championship. Return to 20 teams in season 22/23. Repeat this model in all leagues.
And oh yes make Liverpool champions simply because they are so far ahead that no under team can claim unfairness.

This is a good plan, and not just because we would be getting relegated otherwise. It makes the league sizes reasonably manageable and if Premier League teams were bothered about 4 extra games, they could give them permission to miss next season's EFL Cup with no penalty attached, or cancel that competition for one season.

The issue would be with the teams in line for prospective play-off promotions via the various play-offs...and give some of the Prem millions to the lower leagues to tide them over if necessary.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #515 on: March 13, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
One possibility would be postponing the season and isolating players. Then possibly playing the 9-10 remaining games over a 3-4 week priod in the Summer behind closed doors to determine outcomes.

If not then cancelling is the only way IMO. There is no scenario of allowing promotion to anyone that would aggrieve someone. The scenario above for example would not sit well with Fulham, Brentford and Forest. You can't promote/relegate any club until it's mathematically confirmed.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #516 on: March 13, 2020, 12:43:04 PM »
That's right, the only real losers would be potential play off teams.  But with a global crisis like this there's bound to be some losers and this would seem to limit the damage as much as possible.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #517 on: March 13, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »
A lot of suggestions on how we continue from here seem dependent upon the new season starting around its usual time. I don't think there's any guarantee of that at the moment.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #518 on: March 13, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
I can see a scenario panning out where the bottom 2 in the PL as it stands at a given point drop and the automatic 2 from Championship get promoted, play off spots are cancelled.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #519 on: March 13, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »
Personally if the season is abandoned I think Liverpool should get the title, but it would be utterly glorious if they don't.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #520 on: March 13, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
I can see a scenario panning out where the bottom 2 in the PL as it stands at a given point drop and the automatic 2 from Championship get promoted, play off spots are cancelled.

In which case getting to the League Cup final and not playing the Sheffield United game will have relegated us..

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #521 on: March 13, 2020, 12:58:19 PM »
The legal action that would follow on from relegating sides from an incomplete season are massive, especially when a side has a game in hand. I cannot see the FA and EFL leaving themselves open to that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:59:55 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #522 on: March 13, 2020, 01:00:13 PM »
If it rolls forward to next season with the same teams - we get to ‘go again’ - we should get Paul lambert in to guest for the first game.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #523 on: March 13, 2020, 01:01:20 PM »

In which case getting to the League Cup final and not playing the Sheffield United game will have relegated us..

I can't see this happening, especially when teams have played differing amounts of games.  Also, our home record is far superior to our away record, and we have still got 6 home games left to play which is more than the teams around us - doing this would just open up all kinds of legal challenges.

To be honest, I think the league being expanded to 22 or 24 teams next season is almost certainly the best way forward.  I also wouldn't put it past the Premier League to use this as an excuse to play at least one round of matches overseas, saying the additional money would be redistributed to the Football League teams who have suffered due to any cancelled matches.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #524 on: March 13, 2020, 01:01:28 PM »

Which is why I said at a given point, you can't decide until everyone has played the same number of games, you could argue this until the cows come home. Who knows, we are in completely uncharted territory. Maybe the fairest way is to say go back to the point in the season where everyone had played everybody once, that's the point you use to decide.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal