collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746627 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #495 on: March 13, 2020, 11:33:00 AM »
I think this is just a holding decision before a total abandonment.

My guess too, they’ll have a lot of contingency planning to do in the interim.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #496 on: March 13, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »
There's no way the Euros are going ahead with mass travel across all of Europe. Get ready for Euro 2021.

The Premier League will struggle to finish too and so the big question is, do they stick with the existing table or just reset for next season?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #497 on: March 13, 2020, 11:43:03 AM »
All football should stop for this season with current positions frozen. No relegations from any League. Promote top two from championship to Premier League and run a 22 team League next season. 4 teams to be relegated from PL at the end of next season and two promoted from the championship. Return to 20 teams in season 22/23. Repeat this model in all leagues.
And oh yes make Liverpool champions simply because they are so far ahead that no under team can claim unfairness.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2020, 11:43:59 AM »
A cancellation of the Euros will be important.Without a cancellation,I can see it being a struggle to complete the fixtures with at least Chelsea,Arsenal.,Everton and probably Leicester and Watford being virus hit.
A cancellation would give leagues a chance to  extend a postponement past April which looks a bit optimistic .
I would give Liverpool the title,promote the top 4 from the Championship,no relegation from the Prem .Next season sees a 46 game PL which restarts in July with the PL clubs having to pay £6--7m to help out the lower leagues.
Everyone happy.

I don't fucking think so, matey!!!!!11!!!

Haha.

I say just write this season off. Liverpool will just have to wait a little bit longer for their league title. They won't mind, I'm sure.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #499 on: March 13, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »
It is going to be along few weeks with no football to look forward to.

Hopefully the season will be resumed at some point.

I can't see it. Numbers of people with the virus expected to increase week on week for 3 to 4 months to a peak. I'd be surprised if no football players or management staff don't get affected. Government are likely to place further restrictions on people's movement

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #500 on: March 13, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
There's no way the Euros are going ahead with mass travel across all of Europe. Get ready for Euro 2021.

The Premier League will struggle to finish too and so the big question is, do they stick with the existing table or just reset for next season?

No chance of that.

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #501 on: March 13, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »
All football should stop for this season with current positions frozen. No relegations from any League. Promote top two from championship to Premier League and run a 22 team League next season. 4 teams to be relegated from PL at the end of next season and two promoted from the championship. Return to 20 teams in season 22/23. Repeat this model in all leagues.
And oh yes make Liverpool champions simply because they are so far ahead that no under team can claim unfairness.

You were doing so well until your last point, mate.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #502 on: March 13, 2020, 11:48:44 AM »
You’re a hard man Axl😂

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #503 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »
You’re a hard man Axl😂

Haha. When those lot are concerned :D

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #504 on: March 13, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »

Given how tight it is from Brighton downwards, I can't imagine that anyone would be able to hold that line.My guess is that they will reset for next season.Which will massivley piss off Dirty Leeds and the Bitters.
Whatever happens, Villa has to take this opportunity to sort themselves out, in terms of coaching and team management.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #505 on: March 13, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »
I can't see a resumption before May.Even with a cancellation of the Euros and completing all the fixtures and the importance of the cashcow that is the Champions League ,games will run into late June in a very very optimistic scenario and possibly behind closed doors,ok for the PL but not affordable for the lower leagues.Finance will be a big issue..Next season's restart with a possible Euro 21 can only be guessed.
So horse trading could become important if the season is curtailed,Champions,Euro places would be a PL issue.With relegation and promotion ,the PL clubs have the financial clout to sweeten deals with Championship clubs.A temporary fix would certainly be in Villa's interests and Championship clubs who have no prospect of finishing in the top 6.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #506 on: March 13, 2020, 12:06:05 PM »

You were doing so well until your last point, mate.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #507 on: March 13, 2020, 12:06:18 PM »
I think this is just a holding decision before a total abandonment.

My guess too, they’ll have a lot of contingency planning to do in the interim.
Kicked it into the long grass for 3 weeks.

Problem is that the virus is not predicted to peak until July.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #508 on: March 13, 2020, 12:08:08 PM »
Sky News are reporting that Christian Purslow was the only CEO to attend the Premier League meeting this morning in discussions about cancelling matches until at least April.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #509 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:10 PM »
Sky News are reporting that Christian Purslow was the only CEO to attend the Premier League meeting this morning in discussions about cancelling matches until at least April.
???
Where were the others?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal