collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 754265 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #390 on: March 13, 2020, 01:10:55 AM »
Well, obviously billions will survive. Even the estimate of 1% is still a shit tonne of deaths, though.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #391 on: March 13, 2020, 01:14:15 AM »
Anyone that thinks that if a worst case scenario happens the world isn't going to be a very different place is going to have a bit of a shock imo. Hopefully it won't happen but simple logic says it could be very bad.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:16:05 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #392 on: March 13, 2020, 01:15:05 AM »
Mortality rate is about 6% in Italy. (Though I don't really think everyone will be dead). I read an article that says Italy doesn't have enough respirators in hospitals to meet demand, and anyone sixty or over is deemed not a priority. Pretty scary stuff.

And an average death age of 81.

The mortality rate across the world is estimated to be about 1%. Even less if you're under 80 with decent health.

As I said. Football, along with billions of people will survive.

There are credible reports that countries like China and Iran have not divulged the true extent of the epidemic.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #393 on: March 13, 2020, 01:16:00 AM »
If the season was suspended for more than a couple of months I can’t see how they could complete it because you will have contracts ending, some players have already signed for new clubs as of July 1st etc.

Voiding is a complete nightmare, impossible to award a title, decide European places, decide relegation or decide promotion when you started a competition with criteria for all those to take place but the competition is based upon everyone playing everyone twice.  For instance in Championship the teams 3rd to 10th could argue that Leeds & West Brom blew up last year so there’s a viable possibility that they do the same again

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #394 on: March 13, 2020, 01:17:16 AM »
If the season was suspended for more than a couple of months I can’t see how they could complete it because you will have contracts ending, some players have already signed for new clubs as of July 1st etc.

Voiding is a complete nightmare, impossible to award a title, decide European places, decide relegation or decide promotion when you started a competition with criteria for all those to take place but the competition is based upon everyone playing everyone twice.  For instance in Championship the teams 3rd to 10th could argue that Leeds & West Brom blew up last year so there’s a viable possibility that they do the same again

As i've said, we were 8th last season after 37 games, after 29 games in 2016 Leicester were worse than Norwich.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #395 on: March 13, 2020, 01:17:40 AM »

Also, what would you do about the summer transfer window and of course preparing for the following season?

Online Villan82

« Reply #396 on: March 13, 2020, 01:24:26 AM »
Spanish flu did 50-100m and that was before the days of global travel. It's unlikely this will be as bad but if sport is shut down for a year, it's going to be fucking bad. And not because there's no sport.

Spanish flu also afflicted people in their prime very badly. The immune response was so strong that people drowned in their own phlegm. They keep saying it's only people over 60 who should worry this time but I'm not so sure.

This is still an unknown virus, who's to say we won't eventually have sad cases of healthy people succumbing due to immune system response

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #397 on: March 13, 2020, 01:28:53 AM »
I think the easiest option is cancel this season,no promotions/relegations. The top 4 from the previous season get those spots etc,basically forget any football has been played and start again when possible.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #398 on: March 13, 2020, 01:30:09 AM »
Anyone with cancer, lung disease, heart disease and so on is in serious danger if they get it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:37:46 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline shipscat

• I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
« Reply #399 on: March 13, 2020, 01:42:07 AM »
Can't see the game vs Chelsea happening now definitely.."Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi tests positive for #Coronavirus & entire Chelsea squad to a self-isolate"

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #400 on: March 13, 2020, 01:42:13 AM »
As Villa I Am said in the match thread, Hudson-Adoi has tested positive and Chelsea are self-isolating. No chance that the Villa game goes ahead this weekend.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #401 on: March 13, 2020, 03:08:33 AM »
Mortality rate is about 6% in Italy. (Though I don't really think everyone will be dead). I read an article that says Italy doesn't have enough respirators in hospitals to meet demand, and anyone sixty or over is deemed not a priority. Pretty scary stuff.

And an average death age of 81.

The mortality rate across the world is estimated to be about 1%. Even less if you're under 80 with decent health.

As I said. Football, along with billions of people will survive.

There are credible reports that countries like China and Iran have not divulged the true extent of the epidemic.

I'd add Japan to that list, also.

The government is completely obsessed with the Olympics, and people are wondering if they're withholding the true data regarding deaths.

Who knows.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #402 on: March 13, 2020, 03:19:59 AM »
This is exactly the reason why Force Majeure is written into contracts.
Which is why they are most likely to make this season nul and void.
The only other possibility is to suspend the season and restart again when possible, but as pointed out that is far from simple and would probably mean tagging this season onto the beginning of the next season.
The Football calander will have to be rewritten but that now goes for so much of Life .

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #403 on: March 13, 2020, 04:22:44 AM »
I don't see how you can suspend the season, this isn't going to go away until they find a vaccination because players and managers will be getting sick over the next twelve months and beyond at different times, Only takes one player and the whole team has to isolate. They still don't know for sure whether you are immune for a period after contracting the disease. This is with us for a very long time.

Offline frank black

« Reply #404 on: March 13, 2020, 05:56:22 AM »
I think this season is over. 😞

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal