collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 747387 times)

Offline Villa75

Re: How much will the Corona Virus disrupt Aston Villa season ?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »
I'm currently re-watching my boxset of 'Survivors' (1975-77).

I remember it being very dark and candle-lit.

Only some of the night scenes 😂

I'm currently picking up some survival tips, should I be lucky enough to be one of the 10% that make it through. 😉

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »
You don't want to worry about Coronavirus. Big fuck off asteroid falling from the sky, that's what you want to worry about. Proper carnage guaranteed.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »
Pleasing to see how the spirit and eternal optimism of Corporal Jones lives on.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 11:09:22 AM »
I think it is a bit OTT that they are not shaking hands prior to kick off and just wonder what is going to happen at dead ball situations?  No holding at corners? Centre forwards/backs not jostling for goal kicks upfield?  I wonder. Also perhaps they might ban all spitting that would certainly be a good start.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2020, 08:43:30 AM »
Looking at what's going on in Italy at the moment, I expect we'll see some level of action fairly soon. I'd be working on a 50:50 chance of the season finishing close-to-normal, maybe with just over 70s told to avoid the last few games of the season.

I think the start of next season may end up being severely disrupted, mind. It's one thing finishing off the last half dozen matches when the virus hasn't properly look hold, another thing entirely if it's become a pandemic. Depends on if we manage to deal with it over the summer, but I can see either games being played behind closed doors, or some cup competitions being suspended so that the season can start later in the year.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
Depends on if we manage to deal with it over the summer, but I can see either games being played behind closed doors, or some cup competitions being suspended so that the season can start later in the year.

Very interesting point and , out of interest, who do you reference as 'we'.
Because the European men's international tournament starting in June in Italy Rome And the tournament is to be played in 12 European countries including UK

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »
Depends on if we manage to deal with it over the summer, but I can see either games being played behind closed doors, or some cup competitions being suspended so that the season can start later in the year.

Very interesting point and , out of interest, who do you reference as 'we'.
Because the European men's international tournament starting in June in Italy Rome And the tournament is to be played in 12 European countries including UK
'we' - the UK as a whole, I guess. I was meaning more to delay the start of the season by removing fixtures from the fixture lists, and reducing cup competitions seems to be the easiest way to achieve that. I'd not covered (or considered) the Olympics or Euro 20, cos they don't really affect the Villa.

Ideally I think you'd want to avoid playing games behind closed doors unless there really wasn't another option. It might not make a massive financial difference in the PL thanks to the TV revenue, but further down the divisions it'll risk putting clubs out of business of you remove that stream of income.

Going off topic, Euro 20 - ordinarily I'd say postpone it to 2021, but the WC in Qatar will make the fixtures a nightmare, so probably playing behind close doors makes more sense seeing as it'll be on TV anyway, so gate receipts less critical.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 06:53:32 AM »
Looking at our fixtures, the wokves home game looks very likley to be ine of the games played behind closed doors.

That absolutely sucks

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 08:07:34 AM »
Already feels like a long time since we had a home PL game  ,I've a feeling this weekend's fixtures could be behind closed doors depending on what stage we're at towards the end of the week

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 08:16:15 AM »
Looking at what's going on in Italy at the moment, I expect we'll see some level of action fairly soon. I'd be working on a 50:50 chance of the season finishing close-to-normal, maybe with just over 70s told to avoid the last few games of the season.

I think the start of next season may end up being severely disrupted, mind. It's one thing finishing off the last half dozen matches when the virus hasn't properly look hold, another thing entirely if it's become a pandemic. Depends on if we manage to deal with it over the summer, but I can see either games being played behind closed doors, or some cup competitions being suspended so that the season can start later in the year.

I heard on the news this morning that there were 17 flights from Milan to the UK yesterday with absolutely no checks on anyone on those planes.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 08:47:36 AM »
After tonight, I think there’s a very good chance that none of us will be witnessing first hand Aston Villa playing live again this season.

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
Scrap the League and write this one off, We stay up, Liverpool have to try again next year.

Anyone for Cricket?

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2020, 08:54:50 AM »
Its probably a good time to ban half and half scarves.
Not for coronavirus but just because they are shit.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
Its probably a good time to ban half and half scarves.
Not for coronavirus but just because they are shit.

I hope they don't ban Nescafe handshakes, or my primary method of communication will go up the spout.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2020, 09:01:15 AM »
Scrap the League and write this one off, We stay up, Liverpool have to try again next year.

Anyone for Cricket?

This. Imagine the collective angst in Liverpool, it would play right into their perennial victims psyche.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal