collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by frankmosswasmyuncle
[Today at 05:04:29 PM]

Villa Park by FrankyH
[Today at 05:02:16 PM]

NSWE Investment by paul_e
[Today at 05:00:49 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:00:21 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 04:53:57 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Dave
[Today at 04:51:22 PM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by Drummond
[Today at 04:39:06 PM]

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by DB
[Today at 04:38:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread  (Read 45250 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2020, 07:27:59 AM »
I think my eyesight might be failing a bit more than I was prepared to admit. I had no idea it was Bravo in goal rather than the first choice. I was also regaling my daughter about how tactically flexible Pep was and he chose players for their abilities rather than which position the media thought best, hence De Bruyne playing left wing back. When they made their first substitution she pointed out ‘isn’t that De Bruyne Dad’

‘Um yes dear but that isn’t important’

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #241 on: March 02, 2020, 08:04:12 AM »
The Guardian has a very fair-minded report on the match which includes this sympathetic paragraph:

Villa were chasing a first major trophy since Brian Little led them to the League Cup in 1996 and how Dean Smith, the manager, and Jack Grealish, the captain – both Birmingham boys and lifelong supporters of the club – would have loved to pull it off. They gave it their all and, when it was over, those in claret and blue crumpled to the turf, their spirit finally broken. They could leave with their heads held high, courtesy of the late push, in particular, and the applause of their fans in their ears. It might serve as a consolation in the coming days before the fight for Premier League survival resumes.

And a final paragraph:

And so for Villa perhaps avoiding a trouncing is their trophy. Fighting like tigers in the second half: a trophy. Forcing City to bring on Kevin De Bruyne: a trophy. Claudio Bravo’s late save: a trophy. Never giving up and singing your team off the Wembley turf like heroes: a trophy. It may not be the sort of trophy you can plonk in a cabinet or buff up and show the grandchildren. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, it may just have to do.

I’ve just read that article, fair minded I thought, but a bit depressing.

I’m tired, hungover and still in the cold light of day and despite being out played for large parts of the match, thought city were there for the taking.

No complaints really although I also thought he should of gone two up top for the last bit of the game.

Down points, grealish was poor for his standards. Trez when he came on. That’s it for me.

Plus points, Engels and Mings, Nakamba in the second half, Samatta looks a player.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2020, 08:06:57 AM »
had a great day

as others have said I wasn’t deflated coming away with the performance just that my kids still haven’t seen Villa win a major trophy
my predictions were very negative pre match but the team line up cheered me up no end

Luiz being my motm but not by a long way

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #243 on: March 02, 2020, 08:17:00 AM »
That John Stones tho.   ;D

Jammy w**k stain. Typically I was saying how shite he was as he thumped that header in.

What?

Do you need me to type in capitals love?

John Stones never thumped a header in. So nothing in your post makes sense.

Yeah, well you don't have the benefit of replays when you're at the game, and it's unfair of me to give that label to Stones when it fits you far better.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2020, 08:33:39 AM »
The BBC reporter called us "plucky Aston Villa." No, no, just don't.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »

Jammy w**k stain. Typically I was saying how shite he was as he thumped that header in.

What?

Yeah, well you don't have the benefit of replays when you're at the game, and it's unfair of me to give that label to Stones when it fits you far better.

What is this about exactly? You don't know me and we've never had an interaction before.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2020, 08:39:29 AM »
Started well, got blown away by 2 avoidable goals. Recovered well with Samatta's goal and 2nd half performance. CB's were motm. Villa's support was fantastic City's was woeful!

"For the "National Stadium", that place is a disgrace. A dangerous pile of shit with fucking cretins for employees." @CT  
I agree with this 100%
From escalators that don't work, to dangerous gangways at the final whistle and to cretins that can't unfold a simple banner at the start of the game. The worst of the lot however are the brain dead b-stards who work in the club wembley/bobby moore part of the ground. Thick sh-t scum is too kind an expression for them.
If that place was my home ground I would be totally embarrassed by it.

That huddle at the end by the Villa players and whatever was said within it (following our gritty performance to stay in the game) might just be the moment that bonds everyone within the club to pulling off a 17th place finish (or higher) in the league.
UTV!

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2020, 08:41:07 AM »

What?

What is this about exactly? You don't know me and we've never had an interaction before.

Thank fuck.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2020, 09:28:01 AM »

And so for Villa perhaps avoiding a trouncing is their trophy. Fighting like tigers in the second half: a trophy. Forcing City to bring on Kevin De Bruyne: a trophy. Claudio Bravo’s late save: a trophy. Never giving up and singing your team off the Wembley turf like heroes: a trophy. It may not be the sort of trophy you can plonk in a cabinet or buff up and show the grandchildren. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, it may just have to do.

Sing along with the common people, sing along and it might just get you through.

Online kippaxvilla2

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »
I thought we showed plenty of effort even if the quality wasn't always there. I've not seen the controversial corner back since and I don't think I want to but it's typical of our luck I suppose but it should have been dealt with better. Great goal by Samatta (we may have found ourselves a gem there, top marks to the scouting). All in all, disappointed but not gutted.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/AVFCTransTweet/status/1234234774790852609?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email

See the episode of strictly during the final.

There was a fair bit of scrapping going on around by us at the final whistle, mostly pissed up kids. Also saw a few fights walking back down Wembley Way after the game.   

Online LukeJames

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2020, 10:39:38 AM »
I think everyone was pretty much fearing the worst when it went 2-0.  And for a little while afterwards, it did look like the game might become a damage limitation exercise, but credit where it's due, we took our chance and at 2-1 we were always in it.  Yes, they have a LOT of the ball - that was always going to be the case - they had more of the ball away at Real Madrid - it's what they do.  BUT an awful lot of their possession was spent passing side to side thirty yards out until someone like Kyle Walker has a pop from miles out.  They had over 20 shots, yes, but how many clear-cut chances? How many big saves did Nyland have to make? I think they had one more shot on target than us?

I thought the pressing from us as the game went on in the second half was mostly very good, even forcing City to put in into row Z on a few occasions - something you don't see them doing very often.  That said, the pressing and big Wembley pitch meant we were absolutely knackered by 95 mins. If we'd got the equaliser, you never know, obviously, but we looked dead on our feet.

At the end of the day, the record books will record us losing another Wembley final, but if Dean can somehow get them to work like that for the next 11 games, there is room for optimism, especially with McGinn getting close to a return.
Isn't Wembley the same size as Villa Park?

Wembley is slightly wider, but only by a metre or so. However, when a side like City is constantly moving the ball from side-to-side from touchline to touchline, and your entire defensive shape is shifting left and right to follow to the ball, those extra meters soon add up.  It's not a excuse, and won't have had a big impact, but it will have had 'some' impact.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »
Saw five different fights, only one of them involving a City fan.

Real mixed thoughts about one of them, some absolutely bladdered fat bloke in his 60s was bumbling around our block making a right nuisance of himself, I moved him out of my seat and he went behind me, fell over the chair and onto my ten year old over making her cry. We had words and he went off and fell again, down the stairs and whacking his head. Against my judgement I went to his aid and helped him up and to summon first aid whilst a lad I didn't know who was next to me comforted my daughter, he was great with her, a real gent. Then a few minutes later he and his mates were on the verge of a punch up with the row in front of them which upset her again. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Then we scored and big love broke out with all forgotton and hugs all round.

Pissed bloke ended up asleep a few seats away, he didn't stir through the whole second half.

Takes all sorts…...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal