collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Current Formation  (Read 7287 times)

Offline danno

Re: Current Formation
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 02:34:42 PM »
I can't say I disagree tbh, I like Hause right up until the moment he has to play the ball.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
Desperate times call for desperate measures.  I don't like Taylor in the team, but he is more defensively minded than Targett, and sticking him at left back would let us move Targett further up to try to link with Jack.  The alternative would be to use Hause at left back.

I’ve seen this before people going for Taylor because of his defensive qualities
I think it’s because he doesn’t venture forward as much but he has little to zero defensive qualities at all

if he’s the best we got them we are championship and deserve to be

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »
I said it before, but I'd go:

Nyland
Gilbert Engels Mings Taylor
Elmo Luiz Jack Nakamba Targett
Samatta

Jack back in the middle.  We wouldn't lose anything with Elmo and Targett out wide, because at least they can both cross and Trez and El Ghazi are shite.  It's going Full Bruce of course, but we need some clean sheets.

Christ, Steve Bruce used get pelters for playing Elmo on right wing occasionally in the championship! Four full backs won't improve the leaking hole in the middle of the pitch. I'm not sure what combination would, mind. Hause particularly but also Konsa are really struggling now so I do think trying Engels/Mings is worth a go. They were solid earlier on in the year. Nyland behind them, my preference is for a keeper who looks as if he might make a few saves.

Targett was beyond useless at left back and I'm sorry but I can't have a return for Taylor in any shape or form. Not ideal but might be worth trying Hause as a stopper there, Pulis style. Maybe a change on the other flank for a couple of games might be no harm to give Guilbert a breather, Elmo is usually solid enough anyway. A sitting back four means going more direct for a while at least until McGinn comes back. We have no other options in midfield except to go with three and Grealish dropping in. A big lump up top with Samatta. AEG has a lot of trust to regain and he can do it from the bench.

-----------------Nyland
Elmo, Engels, Mings, Hause
-----Luiz, Nakamba, Hourihane
-----------------Grealish
-------Baston/Davis, Samatta

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 08:52:41 PM »
A while ago, many of us on here clamoured for another formation to be used.  It's now been used and two things remain; the players aren't good enough to play either formation.  Secondly, the club didn't address the need for a midfield ball-winner and that leaves us wide open.  I guess the other things is, if you keep making schoolboy mistakes, it doesn't matter what formation you play. 

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 10:31:05 PM »
I think that having Phillips from Leeds would have made a difference this season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »
I said it before, but I'd go:

Nyland
Gilbert Engels Mings Taylor
Elmo Luiz Jack Nakamba Targett
Samatta

Jack back in the middle.  We wouldn't lose anything with Elmo and Targett out wide, because at least they can both cross and Trez and El Ghazi are shite.  It's going Full Bruce of course, but we need some clean sheets.

It's not Full Bruce, it's Full McLeish. Horrendous. If we aren't even going to try to win I'd rather they told us now and saved me a journey.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2020, 02:05:10 PM »
I think that having Phillips from Leeds would have made a difference this season.
100%  Imagine if we'd had him and Maupay / Benrahma instead of Marv, Wesley & Trez?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2020, 02:16:08 PM »
100%  Imagine if we'd had him and Maupay / Benrahma instead of Marv, Wesley & Trez?

Absolutely. However, I'm pretty sure it would have cost us a lot more than we could afford.

Online john e

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2020, 07:25:26 PM »

said on the radio today that Maupay misses more chances than any other striker in the premier league as a ratio of goals per chances

Offline Reg Brown

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2020, 07:34:42 PM »
I’d go for 433 on Sunday. Our midfield is weak at just 2. Luiz Marv and Hourihane in there for me.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2020, 09:39:02 PM »
I'd go 3-6-1.  Pack the midfield as much as possible.

Online john e

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
last time we played them Pep played two up front when he was asked why he said as soon as he saw Villa playing a back 5 he stuck two up front
didn’t pan out well for us

so if we go defensive again we will be in the same boat as last  time

I know whatever team Smith puts out will most probably lose but I’d rather go down swinging
at least try and have a go that all I want to see

Offline TonyD

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
Luiz and Marvellous on the pitch at the same time is definitely a bad idea.  They offer very little defensively and going forward.  Luiz is a lightweight invisible man and Marvellous has one good game in eight.  I’d swap one of them out for CH as at least he can create and score even if he is also rather invisible. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:58:46 PM by TonyD »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2020, 10:06:02 PM »
4-2-3-1

Konsa could do a role as a DM alongside Nakamba and then have 3 attackers and Samata up front.

Offline Reg Brown

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
4-2-3-1

Konsa could do a role as a DM alongside Nakamba and then have 3 attackers and Samata up front.

In a cup final?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal