collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39614 times)

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 17, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »
Yeah we’ve thrown away so many points in key games now it’s clearly not bad luck.

We’re about 5-6 brain farts away from being a mid table team. Infuriating. It was almost easier in 15/16 when we were just shit.

This is actually a really good point. It’s the hope that kills ya and we’re not a million miles of being a decent side, which is why it’s so frustrating sometimes.

Being slightly delusional, southamptons really good run has faltered a bit, so you never know

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #316 on: February 17, 2020, 10:52:18 AM »
Yeah we’ve thrown away so many points in key games now it’s clearly not bad luck.

We’re about 5-6 brain farts away from being a mid table team. Infuriating. It was almost easier in 15/16 when we were just shit.

This is actually a really good point. It’s the hope that kills ya and we’re not a million miles of being a decent side, which is why it’s so frustrating sometimes.

Being slightly delusional, southamptons really good run has faltered a bit, so you never know

I'm hoping that yesterday's result at Arsenal will see the beginning of Newcastle's plummet to relegation. It's not impossible - Burnley have suddenly soared in the table when just a few weeks ago they were a strong relegation candidate and Palace have suddenly dropped quite a few places. Here's hoping.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #317 on: February 17, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »
A win yesterday would’ve bought all those teams back into it. We just seem incapable of getting ourselves some breathing space. Newcastle’s run in has them playing pretty much every team below them, if they go on a poor run I still think they could get sucked in.

Offline colin69

« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
I have never felt so down after a defeat but after sleeping on it I think we played well in the main and having looked at everyone’s run in around us still think we can stay up.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #319 on: February 17, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
You may well be right about me being one of the worst offenders. I like a rant and Hourihane bore the brunt of my anger. I remember saying that, and was wrong to do so. It was an over the top reaction to a player that I thought wasnt playing well, and looked like he couldn't give a shit. He duly rammed that down my throat, and I was happy to eat humble pie.

As for abusing Smith, you'll have to be more specific. I think he's been a bit crap this season on more than one occasion, despite the great achievement of promotion. If he was doing well, he wouldn't be receiving the so called abuse you speak of.

But thank you for reminding me of the abuse I dish out. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for anything negative that you say from now on. I'll send you a report later.

It's a football forum 'Marlon From Bearwood'. I'm afraid you're going to come across ranting and negativity. Apologies if it's made you feel uncomfortable.

Fair enough. Maybe I was wrong to use the F word, I’ll put it down to the frustration of yesterday followed by some of the over the top comments on here.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully).

Yes mate. Onwards and upwards!

We all hurt when we lose, of course. I still think we will stay up, and reckon we'll beat Southampton this weekend.

Up the Villa.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #320 on: February 17, 2020, 11:57:55 AM »
   On reflection, and after picking myself up from the  Holte floor at the end, I really enjoyed it as a game of football.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #321 on: February 17, 2020, 12:06:00 PM »
It was a great game of football and to be fair Mourinho was complementary about us after, in terms of we came to try and win it not draw. It seems a bit like Smith is trying to literally shoot us out of the problem rather the typical grind out results. It’s certainly brave, possibly naive, if we go down it’ll look that way, if we stay up he might be a bit of a legend for his approach. It’s definitely not good for the nerves, at least for the most part under MacLeish, lambert etc, we were just a bit bored most of the time.

I’ve said before that Newcastle are the worst side I’ve seen this season and I’ve thought they may still get pulled in. Interestingly they play palace this weekend, a draw doesn’t do either of them any favours, and whoever loses will be looking over their shoulder.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #322 on: February 17, 2020, 12:14:55 PM »
It was a great game of football and to be fair Mourinho was complementary about us after, in terms of we came to try and win it not draw. It seems a bit like Smith is trying to literally shoot us out of the problem rather the typical grind out results. It’s certainly brave, possibly naive, if we go down it’ll look that way, if we stay up he might be a bit of a legend for his approach. It’s definitely not good for the nerves, at least for the most part under MacLeish, lambert etc, we were just a bit bored most of the time.

I’ve said before that Newcastle are the worst side I’ve seen this season and I’ve thought they may still get pulled in. Interestingly they play palace this weekend, a draw doesn’t do either of them any favours, and whoever loses will be looking over their shoulder.

I don't think we have the personnel to 'grind' out results? Scoring isn't really our issue (only 8 teams have scored more than we have this season), and if the approach of the team for the remainder of the season is "we'll likely concede, so let's outscore them" then it will, at least, be entertaining.

If we are to go down (I don't think we will, but 'if'), then I'd rather it was while having a go than trying to park the bus and pick up boring draws.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2020, 12:45:59 PM »
It was another painful end to a game for us but part of makes it so horrible was down to just how well we had played. Man, I was so proud of the team, we dominated the ball for long periods against last years Champions League finalists.

It's too late to say, "if we can just cut out the mistakes", I think. They are just a feature of this season's Villa. We go to try and win and yes sometimes it leaves us very open. I think we sort of knew we'd be a bit like that at the start of the season.

But I am proud of how we played. To come out for that second half and battle the way we did was inspiring.

Barring his mistake I thought Engels was really good. I didn't think it was a penalty, he didn't bring their player down, he just made sure his leg was there to block the shot. Reina was outstanding. Grealish was Grealish being Grealishy. I thought Targett had one of his better games for us, he was pretty decent defensively which I was grateful for.

What can you do about the loss though. We just have to give it everything in the games remaining and pray it's enough. It's going to be super tight and probably will go down to the last day.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #324 on: February 17, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »
I feel a lot better at the moment, after a night's sleep and plenty of comfort food to cope with the trauma of it all.

The reality (for me) is that at times, we looked dangerously close to producing our best performance of the season. It reminded me a lot of how we used to play when we went on the 10-game run, really going for it and leaving the other team looking rattled.

Good performances without points aren't good enough anymore, though I do fancy us to get something on Saturday, and I think we'll beat 2 of Chelsea, Wolves and United in our next 3 home games.

We've still got time, and we're still not in the bottom 3. Assuming West Ham don't get any change out of City in the week - it's still in our own hands.

Up the Villa.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #325 on: February 17, 2020, 01:27:34 PM »
Good performances are still important, they're our only hope. We've got precisely no chances of getting anything other than bugger-all without them.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2020, 01:34:08 PM »

For a lot of the match yesterday I thought we looked good. But in patches their class showed and it's only to be expected due to how far behind them we are these days.

I felt for Engels as I thought he had a fairly decent game. And no player deserves some of the backward comments posted on here, it was a mistake. Mistakes happen. Don't shit your pants over it.

If we go down this season, which i'd say is 50/50 then it wont be down to that error. It'll be down to not being good enough over the course of the season. And that's what we've got to sort out. No point dwelling on yesterday's result. Take the positives, and there were many and take them into Saturday and try and get those three points we desperately need

UTV

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #327 on: February 17, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »
Laughable on some other sites seeing Spuds fans saying they are pleased that they didn't sign Grealish and what a poor game he had.  They really are total cnuts aren't they?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #328 on: February 17, 2020, 01:40:21 PM »
I thought that yet again, we tired earlier than the opposition and for the last 20 mins, we made far more unforced errors which enabled them to build momentum and pin us back in our third. Overall we played very well although too open even with a lot of defensive players on the field but a great game for the neutral.

I guessed that we'd regret those missed first half chances and so it proved.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2020, 01:52:04 PM »
Watched the replay, disappointed but the weaknesses are obvious, without Mings we had no real speed across the backline which was exploited time and again by the pace of the Spurs forwards.
Playing Drinkwater is plain stupid yes I can see that he could get back to being a good player but he needs a hard pre-season behind him and to play him in a side desperate for points defies logic.
We need a new defensive couch to get some discipline it's great having attacking wing backs but if they leave the defence exposed time and again what's the point.

Good point about the back line and Drinkwater which I've been thinking over as well.

Id like to think Ming's would have not conceded that penalty due to his pace. I don't dislike Engels but he has a real lack of pace.
Similarly Drinkwater is nice and tidy player but his pace seems to have disappeared if he ever had any.

I think we all realise that the work rate from Kante allowed Drinkwater the luxury we cant currently afford.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal