collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39627 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: February 17, 2020, 08:44:56 AM »
I was screaming like a little girl when I saw the team selection but as soon as the game started, I couldn't believe how well we were playing. We had the Spurs defence filling their nappies every time we went forward, they really were one of the worst defences I've seen this season, Villa included. Unfortunately at the other end of the pitch they have some of the most technically gifted players I've seen in a long time, superb with the ball and near impossible to defend against. First half has to go down as one of the most entertaining games this season and we really should have been out of sight given the chances we created.

Second half I thought we gave them too much respect and backed off when we should have realised we wouldn't get a better chance to beat them such was their weak defence. The penalty was cruel but when you make challenges like that you need to at least get a touch on the ball. What was really annoying was watching our players outside the box waiting for Son to take it. It was as though they'd already excepted he would score. Extremely unprofessional and no surprise Spurs were queuing up for the rebound.

We need to dust ourselves down and get ready for the fight of our lives. There were plenty of positives yesterday and we need to build on them. Now is not the time to panic, that's next weekend. There was enough yesterday to give me confidence we can go there and pick up the 3 points. We just need the players to start believing for 95 minutes.

Final point, I can't stop thinking how we should have paid the £25m to Leeds for Phillips. To have that kind of quality and steel in front of our back line would have put us in a position of not having the worst defence in the division and a few more points on the board.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #301 on: February 17, 2020, 08:51:17 AM »
I desperately want to do an "On reflection..." post this morning, but it honestly doesn't feel any better in the cold light of day. It was a game we shouldn't have lost, and though it's natural to question some of the decisions or substitutions, or criticise the officiating, ultimately it was a horrific mistake that cost us. That's harder to rationalise or find catharsis for, which I think is why that numbing feeling hasn't set in yet.

I think it's time to rename that other thread to Anyone still not worried?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2020, 09:05:44 AM »
I was screaming like a little girl when I saw the team selection but as soon as the game started, I couldn't believe how well we were playing. We had the Spurs defence filling their nappies every time we went forward, they really were one of the worst defences I've seen this season, Villa included. Unfortunately at the other end of the pitch they have some of the most technically gifted players I've seen in a long time, superb with the ball and near impossible to defend against. First half has to go down as one of the most entertaining games this season and we really should have been out of sight given the chances we created.

Second half I thought we gave them too much respect and backed off when we should have realised we wouldn't get a better chance to beat them such was their weak defence. The penalty was cruel but when you make challenges like that you need to at least get a touch on the ball. What was really annoying was watching our players outside the box waiting for Son to take it. It was as though they'd already excepted he would score. Extremely unprofessional and no surprise Spurs were queuing up for the rebound.

We need to dust ourselves down and get ready for the fight of our lives. There were plenty of positives yesterday and we need to build on them. Now is not the time to panic, that's next weekend. There was enough yesterday to give me confidence we can go there and pick up the 3 points. We just need the players to start believing for 95 minutes.

Final point, I can't stop thinking how we should have paid the £25m to Leeds for Phillips. To have that kind of quality and steel in front of our back line would have put us in a position of not having the worst defence in the division and a few more points on the board.
The most important difference yesterday was that the team played with passion and commitment; not always something we have said in post-match threads. Very few of the players actually played badly; and some (AEG, Luiz, Guilbert) played pretty well in the main.

What's doing for us this season is poor defending and poor decision-making: MOTD2 got their analysis on yesterday absolutely right, and it begs the question - what is the point of John Terry?!
If I was at the club, I'd have been saying for a long while: get a decent defence coach in. We've all said on here for a long time: we cannot defend set pieces and our defensive line creaks at the sight of pace and incision. We'll get relegated bacause of poor defence, not the paucity in front of it.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
Giving 17 chances a game is not about defensive coaching, we leave the middle of the Park open.
That is tactical and structural.
Being off our feet at the end of games leading to fatigue and mistakes is not about coaching.
Using substitutions to help not hinder is not about coaching.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #304 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »
Villa 2 - Villa 3

Each goal gifted.
Apart from Var gifting spuds a penalty about 20 minutes after the tackle.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2020, 09:16:54 AM »
We played well just that ending I was gutted leaving Villa Park.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2020, 09:17:59 AM »
What's doing for us this season is poor defending and poor decision-making: MOTD2 got their analysis on yesterday absolutely right, and it begs the question - what is the point of John Terry?!
If I was at the club, I'd have been saying for a long while: get a decent defence coach in. We've all said on here for a long time: we cannot defend set pieces and our defensive line creaks at the sight of pace and incision. We'll get relegated bacause of poor defence, not the paucity in front of it.

My fear is we'll get relegated on 'goal difference'.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »
Giving 17 chances a game is not about defensive coaching, we leave the middle of the Park open.
That is tactical and structural.
Being off our feet at the end of games leading to fatigue and mistakes is not about coaching.
Using substitutions to help not hinder is not about coaching.
Some of what you say may be true.
Get your defence right and your whole team is playing further up the pitch with the ball, rather than chasing shadows without it.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »
Honestly, I know it’s disappointing to lose in the way we did, but there is some absolute fucking shit being written on here. If you’re that convinced that everything is rubbish, we’re shit and definitely going down then don’t bother watching anymore.

The game I was at we should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored, only an unbelievable save from their keeper and a pass from Jack when he should have shot kept them in it. We had more possession, more corners and more shots, and in the end we’re undone by a dodgy penalty and a mistake from a defender starting his first game in months.  Unfortunately it’s a tough league, and sometimes these things go against you.

What’s pissing me off more than anything else though is this attitude that Smith is useless and we have got a team that is not up to it. Have you seen us in the last 10 years? Do you remember what we looked like a little over 12 months ago? This team, by and large, is full of young players getting a full season at this level for the first time and they are trying their bollocks off - just look at the previous 2 home games for evidence. They are going to get things wrong, but they will also get better together the longer they have.

Totally agree. There’s so much negativity and throwing in the towel on here whenever we lose. No wonder we’re accused of being fickle.
This really fucks me off.
No one calls us fickle. No one accuses us of being fickle.
Only that c*** O’Leary and some of our own fans who keep fucking trotting it out.

We are no worse than the supporters of every other team who celebrate when things are going well and moan when they aren’t.

That word should be bloody well banned on here.

Well said, Andy. Spot on.

Well you’re one of the worst offenders aren’t you ‘Axl Rose’? Remember last season when you said the only way to get Connor Hourihane out of our club was to hound him out with personal abuse? It was just before we went on a record breaking run that ended in promotion that Connor played a part in.

A promotion that was achieved by a manager that you’ve also given loads of abuse to.

This season was always going to be tough. There was plenty of talk last summer of how, now promoted, we’d all really need to stick together through the tough times that would inevitably come. That hasn’t been the case on here and I’m just glad that the mood at the home and away games that I attend doesn’t mirror the negativity on here.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2020, 09:44:18 AM »
You may well be right about me being one of the worst offenders. I like a rant and Hourihane bore the brunt of my anger. I remember saying that, and was wrong to do so. It was an over the top reaction to a player that I thought wasnt playing well, and looked like he couldn't give a shit. He duly rammed that down my throat, and I was happy to eat humble pie.

As for abusing Smith, you'll have to be more specific. I think he's been a bit crap this season on more than one occasion, despite the great achievement of promotion. If he was doing well, he wouldn't be receiving the so called abuse you speak of.

But thank you for reminding me of the abuse I dish out. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for anything negative that you say from now on. I'll send you a report later.

It's a football forum 'Marlon From Bearwood'. I'm afraid you're going to come across ranting and negativity. Apologies if it's made you feel uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:46:52 AM by Axl Rose »

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2020, 09:48:18 AM »
Gut wrenching to lose the game the way we did having played so well throughout. We played well against a very good side and if we take that attitude into the game V Southampton we can beat them.  Pepe Reina had a great game, not just great saves but his distribution too. 

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #311 on: February 17, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »
Imagine fans criticising players on a forum. Outrageous!

Smith is a very polarising manager. His best traits are his worst traits. He’s given us one of the the best highs of my time supporting the club but he’s disappointed in the PL, IMO. None of us can definitively separate transfer policy issues from FFP issues from smith issues. I change my mind every 5 minutes about how good he is, and results and performances encourage that. Call it fickle if you want but it doesn’t seem like a very helpful way to start a debate with your fellow fans.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2020, 10:01:30 AM »
You may well be right about me being one of the worst offenders. I like a rant and Hourihane bore the brunt of my anger. I remember saying that, and was wrong to do so. It was an over the top reaction to a player that I thought wasnt playing well, and looked like he couldn't give a shit. He duly rammed that down my throat, and I was happy to eat humble pie.

As for abusing Smith, you'll have to be more specific. I think he's been a bit crap this season on more than one occasion, despite the great achievement of promotion. If he was doing well, he wouldn't be receiving the so called abuse you speak of.

But thank you for reminding me of the abuse I dish out. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for anything negative that you say from now on. I'll send you a report later.

It's a football forum 'Marlon From Bearwood'. I'm afraid you're going to come across ranting and negativity. Apologies if it's made you feel uncomfortable.

Fair enough. Maybe I was wrong to use the F word, I’ll put it down to the frustration of yesterday followed by some of the over the top comments on here.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2020, 10:04:38 AM »
Well that's two damaging defeats in a row, from games where we really should have taken some points.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #314 on: February 17, 2020, 10:13:43 AM »
Yeah we’ve thrown away so many points in key games now it’s clearly not bad luck.

We’re about 5-6 brain farts away from being a mid table team. Infuriating. It was almost easier in 15/16 when we were just shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal