collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39650 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
Honestly, I know it’s disappointing to lose in the way we did, but there is some absolute fucking shit being written on here. If you’re that convinced that everything is rubbish, we’re shit and definitely going down then don’t bother watching anymore.

The game I was at we should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored, only an unbelievable save from their keeper and a pass from Jack when he should have shot kept them in it. We had more possession, more corners and more shots, and in the end we’re undone by a dodgy penalty and a mistake from a defender starting his first game in months.  Unfortunately it’s a tough league, and sometimes these things go against you.

What’s pissing me off more than anything else though is this attitude that Smith is useless and we have got a team that is not up to it. Have you seen us in the last 10 years? Do you remember what we looked like a little over 12 months ago? This team, by and large, is full of young players getting a full season at this level for the first time and they are trying their bollocks off - just look at the previous 2 home games for evidence. They are going to get things wrong, but they will also get better together the longer they have.

Well said. Just hope it all (eventually) comes to fruition.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11935863/son-scores-last-gasp-winner-for-spurs

Some miss from Luiz...

Reina is entitled to very pissed off with his defence for not reacting to the rebound

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »
I think we have to accept that we're still very much in the doldrums, despite the promotion. Villa have been very poor for about 7 or 8 full years now and the days of being consistently prem standard are long gone, we have to get used to this and be patient. We're going to be poor for the foreseeable and just have to hope that there is a plan to sign some decent footballers after Grealish is sold.

We have been poor for ten full years. I think the decline set in about this time ten years ago when we lost the League Cup final under O'Neill? I recall a 7-1 thrashing against Chelsea soon after and a dreadful couple of results to end that season.

We were still competitive under Houllier IMO.

8 wins under 28 games in the league under GED so pretty similar to this season if we win next weekend.

We had much better and experienced players in those days aswell of course.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2020, 07:10:58 PM »
Absolute sickening to lose it like that but we played really well, in one of the best games I’ve seen this season. I still think we’ll stay up, but we just have to try and stop giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Mings and Engels must be our centre back partnership for the rest of the season.

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2020, 07:11:41 PM »
Yeah. During a hard day at my well-paid job, I do find it difficult to perform my basic tasks without all 42,000 of my adoring fans getting behind me in full voice.

Sorry but we should, you can sit there a moan or do naff all if you like but how does that help. You can feel the atmosphere drop every time we concede and the play gets edgy.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2020, 07:12:58 PM »
Did we have more shots than them?

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2020, 07:14:34 PM »
18-23 according to sky

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11935863/son-scores-last-gasp-winner-for-spurs

Some miss from Luiz...

Reina is entitled to very pissed off with his defence for not reacting to the rebound

He does, but if a penalty is saved and the ball comes back out fairly straight the guy taking it is always favourite.  I think Fred could maybe have got there had he not hesitated, but it would have been a lunge and possibly another pen.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2020, 07:18:33 PM »
Absolute sickening to lose it like that but we played really well, in one of the best games I’ve seen this season. I still think we’ll stay up, but we just have to try and stop giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Mings and Engels must be our centre back partnership for the rest of the season.
This. Far too much bed wetting on this thread as usual.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2020, 07:20:07 PM »
The guy shoold enver paly for us again. He has relegated us with that mistake the absolute dick
FFS. A truly terrible comment.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2020, 07:20:19 PM »
Honestly, I know it’s disappointing to lose in the way we did, but there is some absolute fucking shit being written on here. If you’re that convinced that everything is rubbish, we’re shit and definitely going down then don’t bother watching anymore.

The game I was at we should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored, only an unbelievable save from their keeper and a pass from Jack when he should have shot kept them in it. We had more possession, more corners and more shots, and in the end we’re undone by a dodgy penalty and a mistake from a defender starting his first game in months.  Unfortunately it’s a tough league, and sometimes these things go against you.

What’s pissing me off more than anything else though is this attitude that Smith is useless and we have got a team that is not up to it. Have you seen us in the last 10 years? Do you remember what we looked like a little over 12 months ago? This team, by and large, is full of young players getting a full season at this level for the first time and they are trying their bollocks off - just look at the previous 2 home games for evidence. They are going to get things wrong, but they will also get better together the longer they have.

Well said. Just hope it all (eventually) comes to fruition.

I have been going for 50 years and I do believe it's all going Pete tong.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »
Engels had a great game, it happens.  Keep going, keep fighting.
Well said.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2020, 07:23:39 PM »
Agonising to lose in that manner and for it to be a terrible mistake like that as well.  Honestly thought it was an entertaining game though and we did pretty well considering the quality they have in their side.  I thought they began to exert a bit of pressure after they changed their formation and we did ride our luck a bit, but thought we were value for a draw. 

I thought we played with good intensity and tempo and think if we can play like that for the majority of the remaining games then we should be OK.  There are some players who clearly aren’t good enough and give the ball away far too easily (Hause, Drinkwater and El Ghazi being the main culprits) and Engels worried me all afternoon in that central position as when he got isolated, he was having to constantly lunge into last ditch tackles due to his lack of pace.

Mings was obviously a big miss today and McGinn continues to be a massive absence in midfield.  After performances like today, what really frustrates is that we aren’t a million miles off being a decent top flight side.  I thought Samatta held the ball up well and brings those around him into play.  Add Mings and McGinn to the line up, and with better options than Hause, Drinkwater and El Ghazi and we would be fine.

Edit - forgot to add that I hope Martin Atkinson isn’t involved in any of our remaining games this season (though heard someone at the game say he is reffing the League Cup Final).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:28:39 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2020, 07:23:50 PM »

Totally agree. There’s so much negativity and throwing in the towel on here whenever we lose. No wonder we’re accused of being fickle.

A great post Pat, agree with everything you’ve said
Damn straight.

I would like to associate myself with these comments.
I too wish to be associated with these comments.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
Engels had a great game, it happens.  Keep going, keep fighting.
Well said.

I dont think he had a great game, whichever way you look at it he gave away the penalty and cost us a draw at the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal