collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39637 times)

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2020, 06:37:33 PM »
Honestly, I know it’s disappointing to lose in the way we did, but there is some absolute fucking shit being written on here. If you’re that convinced that everything is rubbish, we’re shit and definitely going down then don’t bother watching anymore.

The game I was at we should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored, only an unbelievable save from their keeper and a pass from Jack when he should have shot kept them in it. We had more possession, more corners and more shots, and in the end we’re undone by a dodgy penalty and a mistake from a defender starting his first game in months.  Unfortunately it’s a tough league, and sometimes these things go against you.

What’s pissing me off more than anything else though is this attitude that Smith is useless and we have got a team that is not up to it. Have you seen us in the last 10 years? Do you remember what we looked like a little over 12 months ago? This team, by and large, is full of young players getting a full season at this level for the first time and they are trying their bollocks off - just look at the previous 2 home games for evidence. They are going to get things wrong, but they will also get better together the longer they have.

Totally agree. There’s so much negativity and throwing in the towel on here whenever we lose. No wonder we’re accused of being fickle.

A great post Pat, agree with everything you’ve said

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2020, 06:38:36 PM »
I think we are looking defensively worse with 3 at the back. Time to drop this flop tactic and play three in cm.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2020, 06:40:13 PM »
I wish Smith would stop whinging about the officials in his post-match comments.  Yes, the ref made a few mistakes.  So did our players.  It happens.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #213 on: February 16, 2020, 06:42:51 PM »
Honestly, I know it’s disappointing to lose in the way we did, but there is some absolute fucking shit being written on here. If you’re that convinced that everything is rubbish, we’re shit and definitely going down then don’t bother watching anymore.

The game I was at we should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored, only an unbelievable save from their keeper and a pass from Jack when he should have shot kept them in it. We had more possession, more corners and more shots, and in the end we’re undone by a dodgy penalty and a mistake from a defender starting his first game in months.  Unfortunately it’s a tough league, and sometimes these things go against you.

What’s pissing me off more than anything else though is this attitude that Smith is useless and we have got a team that is not up to it. Have you seen us in the last 10 years? Do you remember what we looked like a little over 12 months ago? This team, by and large, is full of young players getting a full season at this level for the first time and they are trying their bollocks off - just look at the previous 2 home games for evidence. They are going to get things wrong, but they will also get better together the longer they have.

Totally agree. There’s so much negativity and throwing in the towel on here whenever we lose. No wonder we’re accused of being fickle.

So if we say we’re going to win the league it will happen? It’s our fault we throw points away? Yes we have a chance of staying up and I hope we do, as all Villa fans want. Today though was hard, as the season has been. Nothing wrong in criticism, we haven’t been good enough.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2020, 06:43:42 PM »
I wish Smith would stop whinging about the officials in his post-match comments.  Yes, the ref made a few mistakes.  So did our players.  It happens.

It drives me nuts. We’re not the only club to have decisions go against us. Today was in my opinion an entirely understandable VAR decision. And yes, we’ve been fucked over a few times so I get our collective frustration. But it would really, really help if our tactics set in place by the manager were better and our players cut out so many boneheaded decisions on the pitch. I just wish at times he would hold his hands up and say that he needs to be better also.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2020, 06:46:30 PM »

Yes thanks Pat, excellent post

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2020, 06:47:00 PM »
Well stay up, of that I am sure but we are doing it the hard way. A point today would have been just reward for our performance, however you cannot legislate for an error like that. So frustrating, and tough on Engels, who otherwise had a great game.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »

Damn straight.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »

Damn straight.

I would like to associate myself with these comments.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2020, 06:55:25 PM »

well said

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »

Damn straight.

All of the above. As fans we also need to do more, they scored their goals and the atmosphere dies a death. Really need to get behind them the whole game

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #221 on: February 16, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »
Yeah. During a hard day at my well-paid job, I do find it difficult to perform my basic tasks without all 42,000 of my adoring fans getting behind me in full voice.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #222 on: February 16, 2020, 07:00:11 PM »
Gutted, yes. Are we dead and buried, far from it.

We've been in the relegation zone for about 5 days this season, and we aren't in it now.

We are naive and lack a decent, experienced holding midfield, but I think we have enough going forward to scrape enough points to be safe.

Offline cfetters

• Dawgman.com
« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2020, 07:00:50 PM »
Re: Engels ... I will never slate a kid for making a physical error. Sometimes the deflections or bobbles go your way, sometimes an untimely slip will cost you everything (see: Gerrard v. Chelsea).

So I won't slate Engels in that way. If anything, this is the time the club has to rally around him and keep him going.

But what's so bizarre to me is that all the time during the preseason he looked like such a calm head, understood the time and score and what to do with the ball, what was required. He had a way about him that made you feel like he wouldn't put a foot wrong under pressure.

At that point in the game today, you absolutely have to understand the time and score and what to do. The play is to put your foot through the ball, don't let it hit the ground, and let Lloris collect it after it's gone all the way back to him. Number one job at that point is to kick the living shite out of it, kick it into Row Z if you have to.

To be of two minds at that precise time shows the gulf in class between those playing in a Champions League final, and those of a newly-promoted side, the mentality you have to have to see a result out.

We had both UCL finalists at Villa Park, and were drawing with both going into stoppage time. To come away with zero points total is a shot to the nuts.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #224 on: February 16, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »

Excellent post

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal