collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Newbon/Jimmy Greaves argument after Villa vs Blues derby  (Read 9403 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

Re: Gary Newbon/Jimmy Greaves argument after Villa vs Blues derby
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 08:36:19 PM »
Watched the BT sport documentary about him the other day  His goal scoring record is second to none and would have scored lots more for England if he continued playing. Was always very funny on the telly, I think he co commentated on our first game against Inter iirc.

I've got both the argument with Gary Newbon and the above mentioned 2-0 win v Inter Milan on old VHS tapes somewhere in my garage - I'm due a sort out soon and once I've found them will give them both another viewing.

I always refer to the 1-0 win against the rags in October 1983 as the 3rd "Battle of Villa Park - the first being against Albion in 1977 and the second being against Barcelona earlier in 1983.  The game was definitely X rated stuff and today it probably would've ended up about 8 a side.  I remember even the normally mild Dennis Mortimer squaring up to Harford after an incident in the water in front of the old Witton Lane stand.  I still smile when I see Greavsie  putting his case and laugh even more when I think about Peter Withe's winning goal and Nigel Spink's late penalty save.  My 40 year old nephew if the games against the rags were "tasty" and maybe apart from the 0-2 defeat in 2003, I doubt there was a more violent game than this.

On a happier note - that 2-0 win v Inter in 1990 was one of the great nights at Villa Park - how I enjoyed watching it again the next night with as said earlier Jimmy Greaves co commentating alongside Brian Moore being the main man.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 09:22:05 PM »
I've not watched the Inter game back in all the years since. Is a decent-ish quality version knocking about online anywhere?

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 12:48:15 AM »
It's on Youtube:

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
To this day I still reckon that the 1990 Inter game was right up there for goal celebrations on The Holte. After the second goal I had totally lost all of the mates I always stood with and I am not sure I was still in the B6 post code area. It was ages before we all regrouped together.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 04:38:20 PM »
Talking of Saint and Greavsie ( which we weren't)....

any excuse to trot this one out again

Even Doug gets a mention

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:39:56 PM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 09:44:53 PM »
Him and Cooper are very funny

Jimmy Greaves contradicting himself in the commentary. "He must have been three yards offside.....taking nothing away from him".

Stonewall.sending off and legitimate goal, Greavsie is moaning that the linesman didnt agree with his incorrect viewpoint.

Pillock. Always thought he was a lazy pundit. Then again Lawro superseded him there.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 03:59:39 PM »
Yes, not a great moment for Jimmy, especially bearing in mind his friendship with the then SH manager, Barry 'What do you mean I've only signed six players this week' Fry.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 09:57:10 PM »
Watched the BT sport documentary about him the other day  His goal scoring record is second to none and would have scored lots more for England if he continued playing. Was always very funny on the telly, I think he co commentated on our first game against Inter iirc.

I've got both the argument with Gary Newbon and the above mentioned 2-0 win v Inter Milan on old VHS tapes somewhere in my garage - I'm due a sort out soon and once I've found them will give them both another viewing.

I always refer to the 1-0 win against the rags in October 1983 as the 3rd "Battle of Villa Park - the first being against Albion in 1977 and the second being against Barcelona earlier in 1983.  The game was definitely X rated stuff and today it probably would've ended up about 8 a side.  I remember even the normally mild Dennis Mortimer squaring up to Harford after an incident in the water in front of the old Witton Lane stand.  I still smile when I see Greavsie  putting his case and laugh even more when I think about Peter Withe's winning goal and Nigel Spink's late penalty save.  My 40 year old nephew if the games against the rags were "tasty" and maybe apart from the 0-2 defeat in 2003, I doubt there was a more violent game than this.

On a happier note - that 2-0 win v Inter in 1990 was one of the great nights at Villa Park - how I enjoyed watching it again the next night with as said earlier Jimmy Greaves co commentating alongside Brian Moore being the main man.

I think the October '83 derby at Villa park was the nastiest for on pitch behaviour. For nastiness in and around the ground I would go for Boxing day 1982. The two games in 2002/2003 were moody on and off the pitch, particularly the 'second leg' at Villa Park. Absence clearly doesn't make the heart grow stronger, it just makes the hatred stronger. I don't recall our two league cup ties in 1988 or the two ties in 1993 being anywhere near the nastiness and hatred of the two Premier league games in 2002/2003. I was in Australia for the game at the sty in December 1987 but I understand from those who were at the game that it was 'rather lively'.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 12:37:26 PM »
December 1987.  Started off with Villa fans allegedly breaking into their ground the night before daubing it with slogans and cutting the goal nets hence Kennedy’s equaliser going into the goal and out again. 

Then when we scored the first in typical hospitable fashion they didn’t like it and it kicked off massively in the corner of the Tilton and the Kop.  Our turnout that day was like nothing I’d seen before or since at a game at the Sty.  How the police kept us apart for the rest of the game is anyone’s guess.

Then the trudge down backstreets of Garrison Lane trying to make my way to Dale End.  They were coming out of everywhere randomly attacking anyone colours or no colours.  Pitch black on a cold December Saturday evening I was rather relieved to make it into town with a minor scratch after an atercation involving a chase round a parked car.  Happy days.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »
Yeah 1987was proper bandit country. People were getting chucked out from an hour before until into the 2nd half. Some prick tried to trip me up down green lane way - I was on crutches at the time with a bust leg. Anyway the prick got said crutch over his head by my Dad's mate who I had went with.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
Yeah 1987was proper bandit country. People were getting chucked out from an hour before until into the 2nd half. Some prick tried to trip me up down green lane way - I was on crutches at the time with a bust leg. Anyway the prick got said crutch over his head by my Dad's mate who I had went with.

Go and stand in the corner and have a good think about what you've done.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 08:02:18 PM »
I don't recall our two league cup ties in 1988 ... being anywhere near the nastiness and hatred of the two Premier league games in 2002/2003. I was in Australia for the game at the sty in December 1987 but I understand from those who were at the game that it was 'rather lively'.
December 1987.  Started off with Villa fans allegedly breaking into their ground the night before daubing it with slogans and cutting the goal nets hence Kennedy’s equaliser going into the goal and out again. 

Then when we scored the first in typical hospitable fashion they didn’t like it and it kicked off massively in the corner of the Tilton and the Kop.  Our turnout that day was like nothing I’d seen before or since at a game at the Sty.  How the police kept us apart for the rest of the game is anyone’s guess.

Then the trudge down backstreets of Garrison Lane trying to make my way to Dale End.  They were coming out of everywhere randomly attacking anyone colours or no colours.  Pitch black on a cold December Saturday evening I was rather relieved to make it into town with a minor scratch after an atercation involving a chase round a parked car.  Happy days.

Mad, innit. I was at all three games, wouldn't have missed one for the world back then. League game, as mental as you say, they always were. Those Cup games, I went to both with a couple of nose mates, and we stood on the kop at theirs, then on The Holte back at ours, with not a hint of naughtiness.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »

I remember us singing ‘There’s only six thousand Blues fans.’

Offline Damo70

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 08:51:38 PM »
Him and Cooper are very funny

Jimmy Greaves contradicting himself in the commentary. "He must have been three yards offside.....taking nothing away from him".

Stonewall.sending off and legitimate goal, Greavsie is moaning that the linesman didnt agree with his incorrect viewpoint.

Pillock. Always thought he was a lazy pundit. Then again Lawro superseded him there.

I had to lawyer up and go to court about ten years back. I have no idea how the subject came up but in one conversation with the guy representing me he told me that he had represented Paul Tait in court so many times he had lost count.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 08:55:36 PM »
After the Greaves Newbon argument I had a letter published in the Shoot magazine, arguing against Greaves. Got five quid for it as I remember. Does anyone have any idea how I'd be able to find it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal