collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148894 times)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #1155 on: July 18, 2020, 10:25:21 PM »
Bring 5 on but only take 3 off and hope nobody notices?

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #1156 on: July 18, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »
Bring 5 on but only take 3 off and hope nobody notices?
Now I’m in favour

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1157 on: July 18, 2020, 10:41:57 PM »
Arsenal game was more horrible game management I'm afraid. I  remember in that game Arsenal were barely doing anything and then Emery made a double change around 60 minutes, DS did nothing.

Guendozhi came on and gave Arsenal the energy they needed in CM to make up for the lost man and we did nothing. He got a cheap penalty and his presence also caused other chances.

Should've put on another midfielder at 2-1 up to counter this but just looking at the line ups and Luiz wasn't in the 18 for some reason despite being on the bench for the West Ham game six days previously.

Sadly DS has not improved at that side of the game at all during the season even now when we can use 5 subs.
Negative view I know but I can’t see how we could use 5 subs to our advantage at the moment. It’s not helping the likes of us.

Even if you don't rate the players you can spend the last 5 minutes just bringing three on every other minute to disrupt the game, we really should've done this at Everton to slow things down especially after that sitter Calvert Lewin missed just before the goal.

Fresh legs might've also stopped the cross coming in given Hourihane's very half hearted effort at blocking it.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #1158 on: July 18, 2020, 10:53:04 PM »
Arsenal game was more horrible game management I'm afraid. I  remember in that game Arsenal were barely doing anything and then Emery made a double change around 60 minutes, DS did nothing.

Guendozhi came on and gave Arsenal the energy they needed in CM to make up for the lost man and we did nothing. He got a cheap penalty and his presence also caused other chances.

Should've put on another midfielder at 2-1 up to counter this but just looking at the line ups and Luiz wasn't in the 18 for some reason despite being on the bench for the West Ham game six days previously.

Sadly DS has not improved at that side of the game at all during the season even now when we can use 5 subs.
Negative view I know but I can’t see how we could use 5 subs to our advantage at the moment. It’s not helping the likes of us.

Even if you don't rate the players you can spend the last 5 minutes just bringing three on every other minute to disrupt the game, we really should've done this at Everton to slow things down especially after that sitter Calvert Lewin missed just before the goal.

Fresh legs might've also stopped the cross coming in given Hourihane's very half hearted effort at blocking it.
We had made one double sub I think so yes we had two more opportunities for Everton but I’m worried about how our five subs compare to everbody else’s at this level.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1159 on: July 18, 2020, 11:14:35 PM »
That Arsenal result has made me think we haven't a hope in hell of beating them.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1160 on: July 18, 2020, 11:17:47 PM »
Hoping that Man City hump Watford and if we do lose, it is only by the odd goal.

At least meaning we have a chance of staying up on the last week.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1161 on: July 18, 2020, 11:53:45 PM »
Arsenal are likely to field a second string team for their final league game, against Watford.  Hopefully, the rest a fair few of their players against us on Tuesday given it's only a three day turnaround.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1162 on: July 19, 2020, 12:22:59 AM »

&feature=share

Watching that again was useful:
- we WERE good going forward, despite Trez' inability to hit a decent shot
- Mings was awful for the 2nd Arse goal
- Engels was a liability! Two goals down to his poor defending
- the handball at the end was a disgrace from that wanker Moss

We played decent football but our defending really was comedy gold.
I know I sought out the handball and ended up watching the whole thing, what was Mings doing with that header!! We go down no doubt he’ll go but he really needs to stay and improve, whatever league we’re in. Engels not good enough and doubt we’ll see him again, something really strange with him being completely missing for big parts of the season. It is clear though that smith did want to attack this league, a real shame that we just couldn’t of drawn that, beat Burnley and West Ham at home instead of drawing when we largely dominated, 5 points better off and on the beach. Instead smith losing his confidence and way and the player’s the same.

With that typically powderpuff Trezeguet shot and appalling defending we probably got what we deserved in one sense - nevertheless that penalty decision alone is sufficient reason to completely do away with VAR and to send Jon Moss to the Knackers yard for the visually challenged.  If that Palace goal was deemed handball, if Mings shoulder at Leicester was deemed handball,  I've no fragment of an idea how that Arsenal player's deliberate movement of the arm to the ball wasn't. Scandalous.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1163 on: July 19, 2020, 12:32:21 AM »
It was 100% a handball with current rules but should never have got to that , the loss was down to our own implosion both CB's cost us that game. Engles dear god with that and the Spurs game at home is alone responsible for 4 goals. The Mings error though is a simple head out for a corner or as far as you can , a cushion header in that position wtf was he thinking.

Whilst scoring more goals would help us the far bigger issue all season has been the defending be it individual errors or tactics it been shocking.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #1164 on: July 19, 2020, 01:14:19 AM »
Good result for us today, Arsenal will have expended their energy on that performance leaving then ripe for turning over when we play them next. Probably.

Want one of these straws I’m clutching?

Offline Bermuda Villa

« Reply #1165 on: July 19, 2020, 01:37:24 AM »
It was 100% a handball with current rules but should never have got to that , the loss was down to our own implosion both CB's cost us that game. Engles dear god with that and the Spurs game at home is alone responsible for 4 goals. The Mings error though is a simple head out for a corner or as far as you can , a cushion header in that position wtf was he thinking.

Whilst scoring more goals would help us the far bigger issue all season has been the defending be it individual errors or tactics it been shocking.

Also the free kick should have been ruled out because 21 (Holding was it) was interfering in our wall which is not allowed under the new rules but that game sums up Smiths lack of tactical reaction during a game. Guendouzi came on and we made him look like Messi he was consistently running with the ball 20 or 30 yards and Smith did nothing to stiffen the centre of our midfield, that game rankles the most with me as we should have won and the confidence we would have gained was immeasurable.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1166 on: July 19, 2020, 11:33:47 AM »

Also the free kick should have been ruled out because 21 (Holding was it) was interfering in our wall which is not allowed under the new rules but that game sums up Smiths lack of tactical reaction during a game. Guendouzi came on and we made him look like Messi he was consistently running with the ball 20 or 30 yards and Smith did nothing to stiffen the centre of our midfield, that game rankles the most with me as we should have won and the confidence we would have gained was immeasurable.
Another game where the ref screwed us over. But equally another game where we shot ourselves in the foot. Letting Guendouzi come on and run the show unchallenged and Mings powderpuff header were the two main things that caused our undoing. I can forgive such things in isolation but we have not learned from those early mistakes. We conceded a very preventable goal against Everton which fully highlights this.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #1167 on: July 19, 2020, 11:51:39 AM »
Good result for us today, Arsenal will have expended their energy on that performance leaving then ripe for turning over when we play them next. Probably.

Want one of these straws I’m clutching?

And perhaps Man City were saving themselves for the Watford game.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1168 on: July 19, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »

Another game where the ref screwed us over. But equally another game where we shot ourselves in the foot. Letting Guendouzi come on and run the show unchallenged and Mings powderpuff header were the two main things that caused our undoing. I can forgive such things in isolation but we have not learned from those early mistakes. We conceded a very preventable goal against Everton which fully highlights this.

Guendouzi was a big factor , play that game now and Luiz would have stopped him but even then they had a player less how we didn't double up on him at least was pretty poor.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1169 on: July 19, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »
There was a shot of Smith in the technical zone looking absolutely clueless.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal