collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148912 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #1110 on: July 18, 2020, 12:05:26 AM »
No idea what's happened to Samatta, he looked o.k in the games he played in February. Would love to know what sort of training regime he was on in lockdown as he's looked way out of things since the restart.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #1111 on: July 18, 2020, 12:29:20 AM »
After his goal at Wembley , I thought “ he’ll score a few to keep us up, like Allback did

Since the restart, I think this is how Souness must have thought with George Weah’s “ cousin “ who he gave 10 mins for Southamption,before realising he couldn’t actually play.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1112 on: July 18, 2020, 01:27:33 AM »
I genuinely can't remember him touching the ball.

Seem to remember him colliding with one of his own players going for the same ball in the lead up to Son's winner at VP.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #1113 on: July 18, 2020, 02:34:10 AM »
The enforced break seemed to have a positive effect on a couple (Luiz, Konsa have come back better I think) but with Samatta I wonder what effect it had on him been isolated after just moving to a new country in the middle of a season. Either way he’s looked absolutely miles off the pace.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1114 on: July 18, 2020, 04:19:20 AM »
Our current two first-choice strikers are amongst the worst I think I have ever seen. Davis is destined never to score and Samatta is a shadow of his pre-lockdown self.

I'm pretty confident that for as long as I live I'll never see an Aston Villa striker worse than Jordan Bowery...

He cost peanuts from the lower divisions though.  Samatta is nearly as bad and was supposed to be our January salvation.  He's been pitiful.

I would say it’s less about him and more about the horrendous tactics and service he’s received. Aguero would be shit in our side. Samatta has a more than excellent track record as a professional. We’ve blunted his edge.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1115 on: July 18, 2020, 04:32:02 AM »
He's had two or three decent header chances and not got near the goal, i'm not going to be too hard on him look at the improvement in Luiz, it's hard to come in to a team half way through a season in a strange environment, be locked down, then be expected to perform at your top.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1116 on: July 18, 2020, 06:00:04 AM »
If we play with intensity and fire we can beat Arsenal. 2 up front. Put Luiz under the spotlight. That can happen.

However Dean won't do that. Sit back, show respect and we'll lose.

Which two, the two that we've needed to show some gumption but still can't muster a solitary goal between them to save our lives, those two?

Davis played very well yesterday.

He's played 498 minutes as a PL centre-forward. He has 0 goals, 0 assists. Amongst whatever attributes he might bring to the side, a goal threat isn't one of them.
Agree but does not give the ball away like Samatta.

That is a low bar at the moment. The reality is Davis should not be anywhere near starting in the Premier League.
along with Trez Samatta AEG and Hourihane.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1117 on: July 18, 2020, 08:27:19 AM »
Yet if we do go down four of our players will sell for a combined £125-£150m... add heaton to the core of players and its bonkers we are now likely to drop.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1118 on: July 18, 2020, 08:29:03 AM »
Like all of us I am hoping for the best that we survive in the Premiership.  Preparing for the worst I am approaching the months ahead like Bobby Ewing's time in the shower.  This awful season has had an appropriately awful Covid mangled, unreal conclusion.  If we go down I shall of course go to Chumps League games but my personal reality will only kick in when we get back to the Premier League and I can erase from my memory everything that has happened between our Wembley play off joy and the end of this excruciatingly horrible time to be a Villa fan.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #1119 on: July 18, 2020, 08:35:03 AM »
If we play with intensity and fire we can beat Arsenal. 2 up front. Put Luiz under the spotlight. That can happen.

However Dean won't do that. Sit back, show respect and we'll lose.

Which two, the two that we've needed to show some gumption but still can't muster a solitary goal between them to save our lives, those two?

Davis played very well yesterday.

He's played 498 minutes as a PL centre-forward. He has 0 goals, 0 assists. Amongst whatever attributes he might bring to the side, a goal threat isn't one of them.
Agree but does not give the ball away like Samatta.

That is a low bar at the moment. The reality is Davis should not be anywhere near starting in the Premier League.
along with Trez Samatta AEG and Hourihane.

Hourihane can obviously be hologram, but he's been good in the last two games to his credit and he's one of the players that at least gives a shit.
The midfield has actually looked well balanced in the last couple of games.
Davies never looks like scoring, but he can bully a centre back and David Luiz can be bullied, so I'd play him against Arsenal. Samatta looked decent before lockdown, he's just woefully off form.
It's down to 3 teams now and although Watford are in pole position points wise, with their fixtures they'll be looking at us and Bournemouth anxiously.
Thursday was a sickened but we've got 4 points from 2 games and the same again might be enough

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1120 on: July 18, 2020, 08:58:13 AM »
I’ve woken up this morning with an irrational feeling that we’re going to do it.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1121 on: July 18, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
No idea what's happened to Samatta, he looked o.k in the games he played in February. Would love to know what sort of training regime he was on in lockdown as he's looked way out of things since the restart.
The thing is with Samatta is you can't accuse him of squandering chances. Have we seen him on the ball in a dangerous position in their area too often? Can't think of many. He had a header the other night that he should have done better with but I honestly think he's living off scraps. Same for Wesley same for Davis. We dominate games and kinda look threatening without carving out many actual chances for the strikers. Both him and Davis cover a lot of ground but most of it is wasted effort. I guess what I'm saying is we need a better game plan that gets our strikers on the ball and in dangerous positions. Too often we rely on wingers/wingbacks swinging in crosses from deep while praying for something to happen.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1122 on: July 18, 2020, 09:03:21 AM »
Let’s inject some positivity.
This weeks scores.

Bournemouth 1 Southampton 1
Watford 0 Man City 3
Villa 1 Arsenal 0

We climb out of the bottom 3 and head into ‘showdown Sunday’ as I am declaring it and sky will no doubt pinch.

Not beyond the realms of possibility?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1123 on: July 18, 2020, 09:06:17 AM »
The enforced break seemed to have a positive effect on a couple (Luiz, Konsa have come back better I think) but with Samatta I wonder what effect it had on him been isolated after just moving to a new country in the middle of a season. Either way he’s looked absolutely miles off the pace.

Yes that’s a good shout actually. Could be a factor. I refuse to believe he’s as bad as he’s looked since he came back.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1124 on: July 18, 2020, 09:15:11 AM »
Let’s inject some positivity.
This weeks scores.

Bournemouth 1 Southampton 1
Watford 0 Man City 3
Villa 1 Arsenal 0

We climb out of the bottom 3 and head into ‘showdown Sunday’ as I am declaring it and sky will no doubt pinch.

Not beyond the realms of possibility?
Nice. Might have a little acca on that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal