collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148905 times)

Offline Richie

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #1035 on: July 16, 2020, 10:22:07 PM »
We certainly need a winner in tomorrow's game (would still prefer West Ham) now. Draw and we'd have to win the final two games.

A loser and that's a small chance 35 points could be enough.

Agree that we need a winner tomorrow night but I’m not sure a West Ham win is best for us. If Watford beat them and then they lose at Old Trafford which you would expect, a point against Arsenal leaves it in our hands to finish above West Ham.

That said, I think Bournemouth are going to pick up points in the last 2.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1036 on: July 16, 2020, 10:29:29 PM »
We certainly need a winner in tomorrow's game (would still prefer West Ham) now. Draw and we'd have to win the final two games.

A loser and that's a small chance 35 points could be enough.

Agree that we need a winner tomorrow night but I’m not sure a West Ham win is best for us. If Watford beat them and then they lose at Old Trafford which you would expect, a point against Arsenal leaves it in our hands to finish above West Ham.

That said, I think Bournemouth are going to pick up points in the last 2.

I think we've got far more chance of beating West Ham final day if they're already safe. Can see someone like Antonio running our defence ragged and they've got other decent players in final third so I'd rather they weren't bothered.

Certainly looking at Everton Bournemouth will have a big chance going there on the final day. Have to hope Southampton do the business at least at the weekend. 2 goal defeat and we'd go above them again.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1037 on: July 17, 2020, 12:56:31 AM »
Did Saints make many changes tonight against Brighton? Their second game in three days where again they dragged themselves up to earn a point. I imagine it took it out of them. Fully fit and rested, I'd back them to beat Bournemouth.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1038 on: July 17, 2020, 04:23:33 AM »
I'm pretty much at peace with all this now and have been since we lost to Man Utd. We've not been good enough and I've really not enjoyed this season back in the PL once the new found novelty wore off.  I found myself far happier when we weren't playing and i'm not sure its supposed to work that way.  Obviously I really want us to stay up but if we don't we'll only have ourselves to blame. 

Thanks to Covid, I think next season will be a soulless experience whatever division we are in.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #1039 on: July 17, 2020, 09:11:30 AM »
I gave this up some time ago, but got all excited yesterday evening for a while.

Stupid!

I suppose a big Wet Spam win tonight with them safe by the time we play them is pretty much the last straw to clutch.

Even then, we would have to beat the Arse and rely on Watford  to not  pick up any more points.

Is that right?

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1040 on: July 17, 2020, 09:15:11 AM »
I'm pretty much at peace with all this now and have been since we lost to Man Utd. We've not been good enough and I've really not enjoyed this season back in the PL once the new found novelty wore off.  I found myself far happier when we weren't playing and i'm not sure its supposed to work that way.  Obviously I really want us to stay up but if we don't we'll only have ourselves to blame. 

Thanks to Covid, I think next season will be a soulless experience whatever division we are in.

Pretty much my thoughts. I just want it to be all over now And I think it will be come Tuesday

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1041 on: July 17, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »
I gave this up some time ago, but got all excited yesterday evening for a while.

Stupid!

I suppose a big Wet Spam win tonight with them safe by the time we play them is pretty much the last straw to clutch.

Even then, we would have to beat the Arse and rely on Watford  to not  pick up any more points.

Is that right?

If we win them both the we need Watford to get no more than 3 points with a heavy defeat in there somewhere. Or to only pick up two points.

The big problem with that though is that we're not going to win both...

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1042 on: July 17, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »
So what do we need to happen:
- West Ham win v Watford
- Southampton win v Bournemouth
- Man City smash Watford
- We take something v Arsenal
- We beat West Ham who are safe and on the beach
- Arsenal beat Watford

Simple right ;-)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1043 on: July 17, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »
Thanks Vinnie, if that's the ideal scenario then that's what I'll be hoping for. I can't and won't watch the match later, partly because my nerves are shredded but mainly because Friday night is TOTP 1989 night and that doesn't change!

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1044 on: July 17, 2020, 09:41:43 AM »
Thanks Vinnie, if that's the ideal scenario then that's what I'll be hoping for. I can't and won't watch the match later, partly because my nerves are shredded but mainly because Friday night is TOTP 1989 night and that doesn't change!

The alternate is West Ham lose tonight and v Man United but would mean we then have to beat them final day.
Genuinely want them on the beach for final day, surely it gives us a better chance of 3 points than if they have something to play for themselves

These next few days are going to be painful

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #1045 on: July 17, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
But surely it all depends on us beating Arsenal

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1046 on: July 17, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
But surely it all depends on us beating Arsenal

A draw might be enough if Watford pick up no more points. I think that's the theory. So long as we beat West Ham.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #1047 on: July 17, 2020, 11:59:58 AM »
I still think there could be a bizarre twist of fate that sees Villa, Watford and Bournemouth all on 34 points and all on the same -24 goal difference by game 38. That be fun. Sky would cream themselves

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #1048 on: July 17, 2020, 12:06:11 PM »

If there’s been one positive these last few months, it’s been TOTP 89!!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1049 on: July 17, 2020, 02:45:16 PM »
I still think there could be a bizarre twist of fate that sees Villa, Watford and Bournemouth all on 34 points and all on the same -24 goal difference by game 38. That be fun. Sky would cream themselves

Fine by me, we'd finish 17 on goals scored (which is the next metric they use).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal