collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148932 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #825 on: July 08, 2020, 07:27:09 AM »
A defeat against Manure will relegate us mentally if not mathematically.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #826 on: July 08, 2020, 08:12:25 AM »
If Smith sticks to the same game plan we're gone, needs to try a different forward set up with players up for the fight.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #827 on: July 08, 2020, 08:29:58 AM »
Hard to see how anybody else would have been worse. Dismal Dean has been absolutely atrocious. Worse than Lambert.

Come off it. I know it was late and you might have had a beer or two but that's demonstrably rubbish.

Smith holds the record for the most consecutive wins our club has ever had. He's managed a Villa side to a promotion and a win at Wembley.

Lambert holds plenty of records at the Villa, none of them good, including our heaviest ever defeat, and he sowed the seeds of our eventual relegation. He also went 12 games without a win, which Smith has never presided over, yet!

I don't think you'll find anyone who says Smith has done a good job this year but to say he's worse than Lambert is just silly.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #828 on: July 08, 2020, 08:45:39 AM »
Hard to see how anybody else would have been worse. Dismal Dean has been absolutely atrocious. Worse than Lambert.

Do you mean this season or overall?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #829 on: July 08, 2020, 09:08:47 AM »
The problem is we do not know how good or bad Smith is.  However the next five games go we are still in a position of having to make a call about Dean Smith.  Back in the day the manager carried the can.  Things are different these days.  It could well be that Purslow, Pitarch or any of half a dozen others with power at the club are responsible for the car crash that has been our player recruitment.  My personal opinion is that he must go however this season finishes.  But I have sympathy for him because he has been only one of a team that has royally screwed up.  I think the money and the machinations of agents in Smith's shift in the Premiership have overwhelmed him.  Villa Park needs a new broom not a scapegoat or two.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #830 on: July 08, 2020, 09:11:39 AM »
that Sheff Utd was always a must win game for me and Newcastle
we should have battered the posts down to get a goal

I remember people saying a point was ok and we were catching the others who were at the time doing worse

but the fixture list was there
we had 10 games from the restart to save ourselves
In reality only 6 because we are incapable of beating from the so called top 6

so that leaves you with 6 games to go shit or bust and we fucked it all up with tepid apathetic performances

I’m not one for stats but the one tells us where we are the most (apart from the league table)
is that we have failed to beat anyone in the top half of the league apart from Burnley and they are just 10th
and only took a point off two others

abysmal I’m afraid

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #831 on: July 08, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
Time to start tomorrow then.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #832 on: July 08, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
I agree, the Sheff Utd and Newcastle games are the ones where should have got three points. I really fancied us up at Newcastle and we should have showed a lot more urgency instead of just waiting until we went behind to make a go at it.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #833 on: July 08, 2020, 09:21:50 AM »
Which makes the ‘these results won’t define our season’ line all the more naive. 2 points out of 42 against the top 8 absolutely defines our season.

Online TonyD

« Reply #834 on: July 08, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
Seems like the plan rests on beating Palace and on the assumption that we won’t beat ManU. 

This is the classic way to get relegated. 

We should be throwing the kitchen sink at ManU and all the remaining games. 

To get something from the ManU game is absolutely the key to have even a glimmer of staying up. 

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #835 on: July 08, 2020, 09:36:07 AM »
Don't worry folks, Charlie Nicholas has predicted a win for us tomorrow.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #836 on: July 08, 2020, 09:39:02 AM »

Seems like the plan rests on beating Palace and on the assumption that we won’t beat ManU. 

To get something from the ManU game is absolutely the key to have even a glimmer of staying up. 

Yep, if we're going to go down, at least go down swinging. Shit or bust time.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #837 on: July 08, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »

Yep, if we're going to go down, at least go down swinging. Shit or bust time.

Absolutely. It doesn't mean you have be any less organised in defence, but let's lay a glove on these shithouses tomorrow. It may not be enough, but lets have a fucking go.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #838 on: July 08, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »
If we do get relegated, and I'm not throwing the towel in yet like many on here, we will go down in a far healthier position than when we did last time. Even if Mings, McGinn and Grealish leave, the incoming transfer fees will end any FFP issues immediately, and the players remaining will still leave a squad nucleus that is good enough to compete for promotion next season, along with the inevitable additions.
A major handicap this season has been that our front three aren't Premier League standard but I can see them scoring freely in the Championship. Even Jota was a proven stand out creative performer for Brentford in the lower division. The rest of the squad is still young and capable enough to perform at the lower level.

Too many people, including many of our own fans are quick to forget the monumental task the club had last summer. Yes, we spent over £100m but we had to completely overhaul the squad over a period of two months because the vast majority of the squad that got us up were either loanees, players coming to the end of their careers or ones that simply wouldn't have been good enough. This season was always going to be a struggle following such huge change in personnel in such a short time. I don't blame Dean Smith and certainly wouldn't sack him. Relegation would be a setback but not a disaster.

Online ez

« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »
The sad fact is hes one of our worst top flight managers. True he got us promoted but relegation does tend to cancel that out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal