collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148877 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #750 on: July 06, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
Suggests to me its the time to start. I'm not convinced, ever, by an argument that says I cannot achieve something today, because I couldn't do it yesterday.
It's not so much about 'can we' or can't we'.  In the sense that it's possible, of course we can.  But is it likely?  And is it more likely today than it was yesterday?

Anything is more likely outside the top 2, so yes, based on Sunday I feel we're more likely to beat Man United than we were before yesterday (we're mixing the literal and metaphoric).

Is going to be easy? No. Do we have deficiencies? God yes, especially going forwards.

But with a solid block, good organisation and a growing confidence (which you could see second half) then yeah, why not. I thought Sunday could be a massacre, I'm not a triumphalist in defeat, but there was positives. Much more positive than Watford at Chelsea.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:23:58 AM by Ads »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #751 on: July 06, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
Two points from the last 27 would suggest that 7 or 8 from the last 15 is something of a forlorn hope.  I don't think we've managed 8 points from 5 games at any point this season, and our utter toothlessness in front of a goal would suggest we're not about to start now.

You could quite easily apply the same logic to Watford and Bournemouth.

Watford are a point above us, are out of the relegation spots and have to play Norwich next.  Bournemouth will be going down with us and Norwich.

Offline Ads

« Reply #752 on: July 06, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
They're likely to beat Norwich. But Newcastle have hit form and look decent of late, West Ham will see it as the game to win to seal survival. I think Watford will do well to get 7 points, given their form and performances are worse than ours. Get 8 and we're safe, but we're dealing with the maximum thresholds.

Offline ez

« Reply #753 on: July 06, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »
Two points from the last 27 would suggest that 7 or 8 from the last 15 is something of a forlorn hope.  I don't think we've managed 8 points from 5 games at any point this season, and our utter toothlessness in front of a goal would suggest we're not about to start now.

Watford are a point above us, are out of the relegation spots and have to play Norwich next.  Bournemouth will be going down with us and Norwich.

The depressing thing is all those that sacked their managers mid season are looking like benefitting from it.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #754 on: July 06, 2020, 03:30:57 PM »

The depressing thing is all those that sacked their managers mid season are looking like benefitting from it.

Not as simple as that though is it. West Ham have picked up three more points than us in the time since Moyes was appointed.
And Brighton have managed to get to safety without changing their manager

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #755 on: July 06, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »
We really need to be turning Everton over. If they were any more on the beach they’d be on the front page of the Daily Mail under a headline screaming about how irresponsible they were spreading Covid like that.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #756 on: July 07, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
Just hope Norwich are in the mood to make a game of it tonight.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #757 on: July 07, 2020, 08:39:33 AM »
Just hope Norwich are in the mood to make a game of it tonight.

I really hope so. We will struggle even more if Watford get a decent win as the goal difference will be another huge barrier.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #758 on: July 07, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »
Pivotal game this. If Watford fail to win that’s massive for us. If Watford do win same but for them.

Offline Ads

« Reply #759 on: July 07, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
I expect Watford to win and I don't think that has a bearing on how we need to approach the next 3 games. Obviously if they slip up it creates a margin of error for us.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #760 on: July 07, 2020, 10:39:45 AM »
I think this will be the Canary in the coal mine.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #761 on: July 07, 2020, 07:54:14 PM »
Minimum five points to make up with five games left.

Sigh.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #762 on: July 07, 2020, 08:01:44 PM »
I doubt we have more than a win in us. Unfortunately,  we have approached this arse backwards. We're now trying to defend but couldn't score in a brothel. When we started the season and should've shut up shop in games and secured valuable points we threw it away. Now we need to go for it we can barely muster a shot on target.

January transfer window was a disgrace. We did nothing to improve our squad or chances. All the ambitious talk counted for nothing when it mattered. A decent signing in January would have probably seen us safe. That's what hursts the most,  this league is shit and the opportunity was there. Serious questions to be answered from those in charge.

Offline Ads

« Reply #763 on: July 07, 2020, 08:03:47 PM »
Didn't the stats show we've had more efforts on goal than any if the bottom 5?

Goals are a problem for sure, but that's because we're playing Davis. Not that Samatta appears on form but, Davis hasn't scored since Burton Albion is it? So what do we expect.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #764 on: July 07, 2020, 08:03:54 PM »
I doubt we have more than a win in us. Unfortunately,  we have approached this arse backwards. We're now trying to defend but couldn't score in a brothel. When we started the season and should've shut up shop in games and secured valuable points we threw it away. Now we need to go for it we can barely muster a shot on target.

January transfer window was a disgrace. We did nothing to improve our squad or chances. All the ambitious talk counted for nothing when it mattered. A decent signing in January would have probably seen us safe. That's what hursts the most,  this league is shit and the opportunity was there. Serious questions to be answered from those in charge.

A bigger clusterfuck than 2015-16.

The bit in bold is the bit that frustrates me. Utter incompetence from top to bottom.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal