collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148914 times)

Offline Dick Edwards

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #705 on: July 05, 2020, 12:14:30 PM »
I'm just hoping we will go into the last game with our fate still in our own hands. Even better if West Ham are safe and have nothing to play for.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #706 on: July 05, 2020, 12:19:50 PM »
If Watford get 3 or fewer points against Norwich and Newcastle we will likely end up cheering West Ham on against Watford. If West Ham beat Norwich a good result against Watford would see them safe and hopefully they'll be on the beach for the last game.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:21:39 PM by Brazilian Villain »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #707 on: July 05, 2020, 12:47:48 PM »
I think we can and we will just scrape home this season. Norwich are gone, Bournemouth look puss and Watford are struggling badly. We’ve had a couple of draws and lost a couple, but don’t look too bad, compared to the others. Probably get spanked by Liverpool and Man U, but Palace and Everton are winnable, with maybe a point from Arsenal. See West Ham off and it could be reasonably comfortable. Although being Villa probably not. We’ll limp over the line I reckon.

We haven't really looked like winning a game since the season re-started, but just hope that things can stay pretty much as they are after the next two games.

If we can go into the Palace game pretty much as we stand then we might just have a chance.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #708 on: July 05, 2020, 01:04:38 PM »
Don't think one win and a couple of draws would do it. Two wins at least.

The way it's going, I'm starting to think two more points might be enough! As we reach the conclusion of another round of matches, the bottom 5, fighting for their lives, have still mustered only one solitary win between them in 19 games.

Watford have dropped right back in it, but I can just see them scraping a couple of wins from somewhere.  Bournemouth look completely gone at the moment.

Yes.

The one thing in our favour is that many teams have been sluggish and below par for a couple of games after the restart and then burst into life, and found their zing.
MoN used to call it vim, which was a detergent in my young day.

I remember a home game against Watford late in the season on our way to Division 3. We lost 0-2. The Watford fans were in what is now the Lower Trinity when it was a terrace. I was ejected from the back of the Holte and missed most of the game.

Those were the days, my friends.

I'm watching more of other teams than I have in the 14 years since I last had paid football telly, and in my measured opinion I'd say that restart was a shock to everyone, but as it's progressed the 'better' sides are now hitting their stride. For us teams at the bottom, I think the best opportunity for points was early on, with Brighton being the benchmark, and our two draws the pick of the rest. I think the Spam win was an anomaly thrown up by Lampard trying to rotate his starting 11 (there's no chance they'd have beaten that Chelsea side from last night), something that those sides don't really need to do with 5 subs allowed, which is another thing that's not in the favour of us basement-dwellers.

After our 4-in-11 start, we've now had 8 days off. Yes, tough game to come back to, and it's difficult to imagine anything other than a defeat, but I'll be watching how we play. I think more tempered, less gung-ho will give us our best chance of surviving this.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #709 on: July 05, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »
It looks to me that the teams who were playing well before lockdown are now playing well again, Liverpool's game excepted. No free hits, no shocks to come. Goal difference could certainly settle this.

That said, if we've still got a chance on the last day I'd snap your hand off, since we've either kept our head above water or at least one other club has had a nightmare run.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #710 on: July 05, 2020, 02:00:46 PM »
It looks to me that the teams who were playing well before lockdown are now playing well again, Liverpool's game excepted. No free hits, no shocks to come. Goal difference could certainly settle this.

That said, if we've still got a chance on the last day I'd snap your hand off, since we've either kept our head above water or at least one other club has had a nightmare run.

Me too. I think Watford get 5 or 6 more points from their 5 games remaining - they beat Norwich, and get 2 or 3 points from the WHU or Newcastle games. But they will have a better GD than us.

So we need 6 or 7 points. Assuming no surprises against MU or 'The Mighty Reds YNWA', we need that haul from 4 games - quite a form turnaround but not impossible. We must beat Palace to give ourselves a sniff - then even if we lose to both Arsenal and Everton (who both look in better form), we make it to the last day with destiny in our hands if we beat WHU

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #711 on: July 05, 2020, 02:49:04 PM »

Me too. I think Watford get 5 or 6 more points from their 5 games remaining - they beat Norwich, and get 2 or 3 points from the WHU or Newcastle games. But they will have a better GD than us.

So we need 6 or 7 points. Assuming no surprises against MU or 'The Mighty Reds YNWA', we need that haul from 4 games - quite a form turnaround but not impossible. We must beat Palace to give ourselves a sniff - then even if we lose to both Arsenal and Everton (who both look in better form), we make it to the last day with destiny in our hands if we beat WHU
You are going to have to run the mathS by me again.

Offline ez

« Reply #712 on: July 05, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »
It's looking like those clubs who sacked their managers will survive. Three who didn't will go down.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #713 on: July 05, 2020, 06:33:33 PM »
Looking tough because we probably need at least 7 points and we cannot score.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #714 on: July 05, 2020, 06:49:01 PM »
Watford beat Norwich tomorrow and then theres a 4 point gap with an inferior goal difference, and I think thats as good as us gone.

I highly doubt we'll get 5 points from the next 5 games, and that Watford wont pick up any more points.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #715 on: July 05, 2020, 06:51:24 PM »
Watford beat Norwich tomorrow and then theres a 4 point gap with an inferior goal difference, and I think thats as good as us gone.

I highly doubt we'll get 5 points from the next 5 games, and that Watford wont pick up any more points.

Yep, I think that’s it. Obviously I don’t want them to win, but part of me just wants it over and done with. By the time we’ve played Palace, I reckon that will be about it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #716 on: July 05, 2020, 06:53:25 PM »
Draw with Manure and Arsenal, win the other 3. Job done.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #717 on: July 05, 2020, 06:55:20 PM »
Even taking an optimistic view, there will be a reckoning and that will be West Ham, i don't fancy that to have to survive. 

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #718 on: July 05, 2020, 06:56:26 PM »
Draw with Manure and Arsenal, win the other 3. Job done.
you've hit the sherry a little early this evening .....or am I missing the "humour" ?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #719 on: July 05, 2020, 06:56:41 PM »
Said elsewhere that we could still stay up if we could sort out the appalling current strike force options. Davis is simply not good enough. Can't even suggest Archer as an option as he has not been selected to train with the first team and there is no current Academy provision.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal