collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 11:01:42 PM]

Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 11:00:13 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[Today at 08:43:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 11:01:42 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 11:00:13 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148972 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #525 on: June 25, 2020, 04:42:08 PM »
We'd be more than happy with West Ham's fixture list for the run in.

And be pretty confident of staying up if they had ours.

Still though even just 5 points up to end of Arsenal game and I'd be surprised if we didn't take things to the last day where we've seen time and again anything can happen.

We have still picked up two points since restart which is better than nothing so with same ratio I don't think 5 points is out of the question.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #526 on: June 25, 2020, 07:44:29 PM »
We are level with the teams above us because we managed to score 2 points from 9 against the easier teams in our fixture list.  Which is not good enough.  I include Chelsea because they did not put out their very best side imo and were there for the taking.  If we are still on a par with Bournemouth, Watford and West Ham after the next three games, then, then, we have a chance of staying up.  The next 3 are massive.  Saying that, so were the last three, and the three before that.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #527 on: June 25, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »
We are level with the teams above us because we managed to score 2 points from 9 against the easier teams in our fixture list.  Which is not good enough.  I include Chelsea because they did not put out their very best side imo and were there for the taking.  If we are still on a par with Bournemouth, Watford and West Ham after the next three games, then, then, we have a chance of staying up.  The next 3 are massive.  Saying that, so were the last three, and the three before that.

Chelsea have named near enough the same team tonight, so I guess Lampard feels that it is his best team.

Ans while our results haven’t been great, they ha want been that bad. At the same time we’ve seen other teams around us not get any points from what you’d consider ‘easier’ fixtures against Palace and Burnley.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #528 on: June 25, 2020, 08:06:17 PM »

Chelsea have named near enough the same team tonight, so I guess Lampard feels that it is his best team.

Ans while our results haven’t been great, they ha want been that bad. At the same time we’ve seen other teams around us not get any points from what you’d consider ‘easier’ fixtures against Palace and Burnley.

You have a hot line to Frank and know his thinking?  I'm impressed.  I wonder if he will let us have Tammy and Kovacic in that case then!  Our results have been absolute shite.  We failed to win a single game, two of them at home.  Chelsea are decent, but we bottled it.  2 points from 9 is crap.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #529 on: June 25, 2020, 08:13:10 PM »

You have a hot line to Frank and know his thinking?  I'm impressed.  I wonder if he will let us have Tammy and Kovacic in that case then!  Our results have been absolute shite.  We failed to win a single game, two of them at home.  Chelsea are decent, but we bottled it.  2 points from 9 is crap.

I just reckon by virtue of picking almost the same team tonight, against a much better team, with Champions League qualification to play for he probably feels it’s his best team. Would be a pretty strange tactic to play a weaker team two games in a row given the circumstances.

Also, Kovacic played against us so clearly wasn’t a bad team!

I wasn’t particularly enamoured with our performance against them but Chelsea are miles better than us at the moment. And, to be honest, that doesn’t really change whether you call that their strongest team or not.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #530 on: June 25, 2020, 08:21:47 PM »
Luke, this isn't about Chelsea.  I don't care about them.  This is about us playing three far easier games than the next three games and picking a whole 2 points.  Also, the other teams in the relegation mix have only played 2 games, we've had the extra game, so to be level with them so far ain't that great really.  I appreciate this wasn't your point my friend. 

Offline Luke8

« Reply #531 on: June 25, 2020, 08:38:16 PM »
Luke, this isn't about Chelsea.  I don't care about them.  This is about us playing three far easier games than the next three games and picking a whole 2 points.  Also, the other teams in the relegation mix have only played 2 games, we've had the extra game, so to be level with them so far ain't that great really.  I appreciate this wasn't your point my friend. 

My point was just, and it’s not massively important, but I don’t think you can call he game against Chelsea any easier than the Wolves or Man United fixtures personally.

The fact that we have played three games since the restart doesn’t make too much different really - we have all played the same over the season - and we are one of four fairly bad teams within a point of each other.

I agree that we really should have taken more points from the Sheffield United and Newcastle games. As we have seen with Watford-Burnley and Bournemouth-Palace it isn’t as easy as just winning your ‘easier’ fixtures though.

Anyway, it’s hardly the biggest issue. Let’s just hope for some improved performances over the next three games and maybe we will pick up some unexpected points!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:44:52 PM by Luke8 »

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #532 on: June 25, 2020, 09:55:09 PM »
To state the obvious, so yes why am I then, we need a crazy, didn’t see that coming result.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
To state the obvious, so yes why am I then, we need a crazy, didn’t see that coming result.
Possibly at Anfield, after the media has gone OTT about the first "home" game of the Covid 19 Champions.

That really would be funny!  ;) ;D

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #534 on: June 26, 2020, 11:19:48 AM »

You named Chelsea in your original post. You stated it was an easier game. They've just beaten Man City, with pretty much the team that beat us.

We may only have got 2 points, but we're better off against the teams around us than we were. All we need to do is gain 1 more point on them to be fine. We play West Ham and that leaves Bournemouth.

We all know we aren't brilliant, but we're still in with a chance, and frankly anything can happen. We took the lead against Chelsea for starters!

Offline sid1964

« Reply #535 on: June 26, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »
We have stayed up on goal difference in the past - just have a fear that we may go down on goal difference.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #536 on: June 26, 2020, 12:24:35 PM »
So looking at the remaining fixtures, Bournemouth look to have a pretty tough run in. Watford and West Ham have to play each other and Norwich while we of course play West Ham on the last day.

Whoever loses the Watford v West Ham game will be screwed in my opinion & a point won't be much good to either. If Norwich could also take a point off one of them that would be great.

We have to keep the faith.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #537 on: June 26, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »
So looking at the remaining fixtures, Bournemouth look to have a pretty tough run in. Watford and West Ham have to play each other and Norwich while we of course play West Ham on the last day.

Whoever loses the Watford v West Ham game will be screwed in my opinion & a point won't be much good to either. If Norwich could also take a point off one of them that would be great.

We have to keep the faith.

I'd have more faith if we showed any intent that we actually wanted to win a game and had the ability to do that.  The last time I can recall us "having a go" was the Spurs game at home.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #538 on: June 26, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »
We were pushing for a win in the last few minutes of the Newcastle game. We could have done with not giving away a stupid goal and upping them tempo much sooner of course. We could have really done with winning that game when you see our fixtures.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #539 on: June 26, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »
i hope i'm wrong, but here's my prediction.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal