collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 150238 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #1485 on: July 23, 2020, 07:56:24 PM »
It bothers me that unlike Villa (or Watford), Bournemouth will go into their game on Sunday with one big advantage over the others, ie Bournemouth know absolutely what they need to do - they simply need to win.  For them, nothing less than a win will be of any use.  Not only that, Bournemouth will also know that a win for them by a single goal will be as good as a win by 2,3, 4 or however many goals, regardless of what Villa or Watford are doing.  So nothing that happens elsewhere should deflect them from that one single, simple objective - to win their game, by means of any score.

Villa and Watford on the other hand will go into their games knowing that the results or indeed the scores that they need may change however many times, as games elsewhere twist and turn as the afternoon unfolds, including of course what's happening with Bournemouth.

I don't like it.

I think you make a fair point, but then I hope that we go into the West Ham game with exactly the same mindset that Bournemouth have, ie we HAVE to win.  Win, and then unless managerless Watford have a freak 3-0 win against Arsenal, then we stay up and they go down.  If it's 0-0 in the 90th minute I hope we still push forward like we're 1-0 down in the FA Cup final, because you simply don't know what's going to happen elsewhere.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #1486 on: July 23, 2020, 08:14:22 PM »
It bothers me that unlike Villa (or Watford), Bournemouth will go into their game on Sunday with one big advantage over the others, ie Bournemouth know absolutely what they need to do - they simply need to win.  For them, nothing less than a win will be of any use.  Not only that, Bournemouth will also know that a win for them by a single goal will be as good as a win by 2,3, 4 or however many goals, regardless of what Villa or Watford are doing.  So nothing that happens elsewhere should deflect them from that one single, simple objective - to win their game, by means of any score.

Villa and Watford on the other hand will go into their games knowing that the results or indeed the scores that they need may change however many times, as games elsewhere twist and turn as the afternoon unfolds, including of course what's happening with Bournemouth.

I don't like it.

I think you make a fair point, but then I hope that we go into the West Ham game with exactly the same mindset that Bournemouth have, ie we HAVE to win.  Win, and then unless managerless Watford have a freak 3-0 win against Arsenal, then we stay up and they go down.  If it's 0-0 in the 90th minute I hope we still push forward like we're 1-0 down in the FA Cup final, because you simply don't know what's going to happen elsewhere.

I think Smith said in his interview post Arsenal, that we need to go to West Ham to win. I think that’s right, despite recent performances we’re not good enough just to sit back and soak up pressure. We’re far better with grealish on the front foot with McGinn and the full backs bombing on. Same team as last couple of games I guess apart from Guilbert for Elmo

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #1487 on: July 23, 2020, 08:18:35 PM »

I don't like it.

I mean, I agree we should go out to win the game, but if it's 0-0 in stoppage time and Bournemouth are winning/Watford are drawing and we send Reina up for a corner...

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1488 on: July 23, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »
Could always do what Fulham did last night and purposely come out late. They didn’t kick off until 2 minutes after the rest.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1489 on: July 23, 2020, 08:30:16 PM »
We definitely need to go to win.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1490 on: July 23, 2020, 08:50:46 PM »
Could always do what Fulham did last night and purposely come out late. They didn’t kick off until 2 minutes after the rest.
Yes that worked well.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1491 on: July 23, 2020, 09:09:09 PM »
Yes that worked well.

Didn’t say it was a good plan lol

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1492 on: July 23, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1493 on: July 23, 2020, 10:00:38 PM »
Look at way we started the 2nd half against Arsenal we stepped onto them and tried to attack and score so there is no way Smith sends us out to draw.Win and it doesn't matter what the rest do ( barring a freak Watford result ) so that's what we will try and do.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1494 on: July 24, 2020, 06:11:44 AM »
Who was the co commentator on Sky v Arse,? he did mention how we set traps.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #1495 on: July 24, 2020, 01:37:36 PM »

Wasn't it carrager? He sounded scouse but never seen him commentate before

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1496 on: July 24, 2020, 03:24:55 PM »

Wasn’t it Andy Hinchcliff, the ex Sheffield Weds defender?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1497 on: July 24, 2020, 04:02:28 PM »

It was Andy Hinchcliffe.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1498 on: July 25, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »

It was Andy Hinchcliffe.
He was very good, pointing out tactical changes coherent and informative.
Also it was one of the best refereeing performances I have seen this season.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1499 on: July 26, 2020, 06:24:48 AM »

We’ve been accused of doing what Fulham have done all season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal