collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 151407 times)

Offline Jockey Randall

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #1470 on: July 23, 2020, 02:31:39 PM »
It bothers me that unlike Villa (or Watford), Bournemouth will go into their game on Sunday with one big advantage over the others, ie Bournemouth know absolutely what they need to do - they simply need to win.  For them, nothing less than a win will be of any use.  Not only that, Bournemouth will also know that a win for them by a single goal will be as good as a win by 2,3, 4 or however many goals, regardless of what Villa or Watford are doing.  So nothing that happens elsewhere should deflect them from that one single, simple objective - to win their game, by means of any score.

Villa and Watford on the other hand will go into their games knowing that the results or indeed the scores that they need may change however many times, as games elsewhere twist and turn as the afternoon unfolds, including of course what's happening with Bournemouth.

I don't like it.

On the positive side if you're Everton it's a slight advantage as if you give nothing away first half, you can then hit them on the break when they have to commit more and more forward towards the end. They could end up with a 3-0 win they barely deserve. Hopefully they will be 2-0 up at half time and it ends 5-0 so we don't have to go through it all being tight but it's still not a great position for Bournemouth to be in.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1471 on: July 23, 2020, 02:32:15 PM »
Nice piece today in the Express and Star telling us that we were writing Dean off when we were seven points behind and seemingly down.  Worth a read but I wish he'd written it after this Sunday and after we are absolutely staying up!
Its funny how we always seem to get  more favourable journalism  from the Wolverhampton E&S than the Birmingham Mail.

They don't have to chase hits and their Villa writer is an absolute top man.

Yep, they're just a better newspaper all-round, from my experience.

I wouldn't go that far. They're horribly right-wing.

right wing papers generally have better sports coverage to be fair.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1472 on: July 23, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »
Well I for one would rather be in our position than Bournemouths.  And a 1 goal win would all but guarantee survival for us, so we can have the same attitude as Bournemouth if we feel it helps.

With that said, I do think they are a dangerous outsider.  I can certainly see them beating Everton.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1473 on: July 23, 2020, 02:56:12 PM »
It bothers me that unlike Villa (or Watford), Bournemouth will go into their game on Sunday with one big advantage over the others, ie Bournemouth know absolutely what they need to do - they simply need to win.  For them, nothing less than a win will be of any use.  Not only that, Bournemouth will also know that a win for them by a single goal will be as good as a win by 2,3, 4 or however many goals, regardless of what Villa or Watford are doing.  So nothing that happens elsewhere should deflect them from that one single, simple objective - to win their game, by means of any score.

Villa and Watford on the other hand will go into their games knowing that the results or indeed the scores that they need may change however many times, as games elsewhere twist and turn as the afternoon unfolds, including of course what's happening with Bournemouth.

I don't like it.

This doesn't really make any sense. Bournemouth could win by 10 and know they're relying on us and Watford both losing. They don't have the same pressure because they only have any influence on a 3rd of the games that matter to them. Our situation is far more controlled, don't lose and match the Watford result or better, we're in full control of our fate.

The 'what if...' scenarios are stacked in our favour and the bookies clearly reflect that. If we win 1-0 then Watford need to either beat Arsenal by 3 or by 1 in a 7-6 victory.  Odds for Watford to win 3-0 are 40/1 (I'm averaging out on oddschecker) and to win 4-1 is 66/1, the 7-6 option isn't even listed as a fringe bet (but 10-0 Arsenal is). Us to win is 6/5 or 5/4 on almost all the bookies listed.

Just to round out the odds you can get, at best, 1/25 on Bournemouth staying up.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1474 on: July 23, 2020, 02:58:34 PM »
Nice piece today in the Express and Star telling us that we were writing Dean off when we were seven points behind and seemingly down.  Worth a read but I wish he'd written it after this Sunday and after we are absolutely staying up!
Its funny how we always seem to get  more favourable journalism  from the Wolverhampton E&S than the Birmingham Mail.

right wing papers generally have better sports coverage to be fair.

Der Sturmer had a very imformative wallchart for the 1936 Olympics.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1475 on: July 23, 2020, 02:59:54 PM »

I don't like it.

This doesn't really make any sense. Bournemouth could win by 10 and know they're relying on us and Watford both losing. They don't have the same pressure because they only have any influence on a 3rd of the games that matter to them. Our situation is far more controlled, don't lose and match the Watford result or better, we're in full control of our fate.

The 'what if...' scenarios are stacked in our favour and the bookies clearly reflect that. If we win 1-0 then Watford need to either beat Arsenal by 3 or by 1 in a 7-6 victory.  Odds for Watford to win 3-0 are 40/1 (I'm averaging out on oddschecker) and to win 4-1 is 66/1, the 7-6 option isn't even listed as a fringe bet (but 10-0 Arsenal is). Us to win is 6/5 or 5/4 on almost all the bookies listed.

Just to round out the odds you can get, at best, 1/25 on Bournemouth staying up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1476 on: July 23, 2020, 03:00:38 PM »
I hope we win 1-0 and they win 7-6 as they'll still be relegated.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1477 on: July 23, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »
I hope we win 1-0 and they win 7-6 as they'll still be relegated.

yes sorry, it's 8-6, which doesn't really make it any more likely.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #1478 on: July 23, 2020, 03:30:36 PM »

I don't like it.

This is my point - Bournemouth don't have the same pressure.  That's going to help them.  Also, in so far as we may have 'full control of our fate' this is only by dint of a notional ability to react to events elsewhere - my worry is that looking to events happening elsewhere isn't going to help our focus - play the game and not the situation I think is the cliche.

I know this is glass half empty territory, and obviously I'd rather be in our position right now than Bournemouth's.  But what did you say are the odds you can get, just on Bournemouth staying up? 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1479 on: July 23, 2020, 03:36:11 PM »
Every Bournemouth fan on the planet would rather be in our position. It's far from impossible that they stay up, but they're clearly third favourites.

Best odds on Bournemouth staying up are 14/1 on Betfair.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1480 on: July 23, 2020, 03:42:01 PM »
This is my point - Bournemouth don't have the same pressure.  That's going to help them.  Also, in so far as we may have 'full control of our fate' this is only by dint of a notional ability to react to events elsewhere - my worry is that looking to events happening elsewhere isn't going to help our focus - play the game and not the situation I think is the cliche.

I know this is glass half empty territory, and obviously I'd rather be in our position right now than Bournemouth's.  But what did you say are the odds you can get, just on Bournemouth staying up? 

I looked the other way round it was 1/25 on Bournemouth being relegated. at best. A lot of the bookies are 1/40 on it. That's as close as a foregone conclusion as they get in football betting.

Back to the first paragraph, it's not because of being able to react, it's because if we win we're highly likely to claim 17th because Watford are unlikely to get the 3 goal victory they need. If they went 3-0 up and we were sitting on on a 1-0 lead then we'd need to react but that's pretty much the only scenario where we need to care.

The pressure is different for Bournemouth because they're already accepted relegation as highly likely and are just playing the game out because they have to. If us and Watford both go behind then Bournemouth are suddenly under far greater pressure than either of us because they'll see a slim chance of staying up but know that it's fragile even if they do their part and get a lead.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1481 on: July 23, 2020, 03:59:30 PM »
Could be interesting for us watching in Bournemouth. Not sure yet if we can find a pub to accommodate us, or TV El Fresco at a secret location. We decided that we need each others company to get through the last day torture. UTV

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1482 on: July 23, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »
Well, you can all cheer together if Arsenal score.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1483 on: July 23, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
Well, you can all cheer together every time Arsenal score.

FTFY

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1484 on: July 23, 2020, 06:50:01 PM »

Ah, I didn't know that. I only read it when I'm bored at the in-laws'. Whereas when I'm at my parents' I don't even read the Birmingham Mail out of curiosity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal