collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bournemouth v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 25785 times)

Online KRS

Re: Bournemouth v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2020, 07:40:57 PM »
In the Sunday Mercury, Dean was partially blaming the ball boys, in part, for our defeat, as he says they went missing after 55 minutes. Scraping the barrel a bit there?
Yeah his comments about the ball boys had me cringing. He’s not quite at the deluded levels of Bruce and Lambert yet but he’s getting there.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2020, 10:09:54 PM »
I was one who was calling for Hause to be played and now I see why he wasn't. Good in the air but it finishes there, so ponderous on the ball and his distribution is horrible. I just do not understand in such an important game that could have seen us move to relative safety that the players came out and played with absolutely no heart and no passion. That is the job of the manager to get the players fired up that's what the good managers seem to be able to do.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2020, 10:43:39 PM »
I was one who was calling for Hause to be played and now I see why he wasn't. Good in the air but it finishes there, so ponderous on the ball and his distribution is horrible. I just do not understand in such an important game that could have seen us move to relative safety that the players came out and played with absolutely no heart and no passion. That is the job of the manager to get the players fired up that's what the good managers seem to be able to do.

None of our centre backs all season have been helped by the inability of the midfielders in front of them to get on the ball. To be honest I'm struggling to think of our last centre midfielder comfortable of taking possession off the back four under pressure, Gareth Barry maybe or Delph to a degree.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2020, 11:37:19 PM »
I think the biggest problem at the moment is that Hause is simply not good enough for this level.  His passing is consistently poor - either picking out a player on the other team or chipping it straight out of play.  He's far too slow on the ball and invites pressure onto himself, and when he does lose the ball it often leads to a chance for the other team as he loses it from situations where we should have comfortable possession.  The problem is that playing 3 at the back we don't really have much of an alternative, possibly put Mings one over and Engels in the middle, or a straight swap of Taylor for Hause.  None of these are particularly convincing but keeping it the way it is is asking for trouble.

The Hause problem has been developing for a few weeks. Good defender in the air but hasnt the technical ability to play in a three at this level. Really beggars belief how he wasn't the one taken off when Davis came on yesterday.

I do think Engels as sweeper in the centre and Mings to the left could work and is worth trying. Would help Mings out as his weakness turning onto the right side is starting to be exposed too.

The other teams playing this formation regularly Wolves and Shef U both have CB's confident on the ball .Shef United play 5 in the middle and 2 up top so they have bodies in mf , Wolves go 3-4-3 like us but 2 very good CM and in Mouthinho one very experienced one.

Going to 3 at back made us more solid mostly as Mings cover's and blocks when the other 2 are out of position.The weakness though in the formation ,for us was exposed in this game as we got out numbered in MF  and the CB's limitations on the ball were exposed.

Tactics played there part but on the day the back 3 in particular had poor games.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2020, 12:56:08 PM »
352 or variations there of only work if you keep the ball. The distribution out the back, from Hause in particular was very poor. We improved second half for a few reasons, Engels being able to pass the ball was one of those reasons.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2020, 01:21:05 PM »
I think he's going to persevere with 3 at the back, he's going to have to move Mings into Hause's spot, put Engels in the middle, and keep Konsa on the right.  I like Hause but he's been far too inconsistent of late.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2020, 01:58:25 PM »
I think he's going to persevere with 3 at the back, he's going to have to move Mings into Hause's spot, put Engels in the middle, and keep Konsa on the right.  I like Hause but he's been far too inconsistent of late.

I agree. My only worry is Engels pace, but then I cannot recall a situation prior to the Leicester game where he looked like he was in slow motion, so perhaps he was carrying a knock.

Hause looks to have lost confidence on the ball. He needs some time out the side.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2020, 05:28:24 PM »
I'm hoping on reflection that Saturday was what I've seen so many times down the years, a team looking flat after an emotional high in the previous game.

But, it's the hope that kills ya

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2020, 06:49:42 PM »

I agree. My only worry is Engels pace, but then I cannot recall a situation prior to the Leicester game where he looked like he was in slow motion, so perhaps he was carrying a knock.

Hause looks to have lost confidence on the ball. He needs some time out the side.

Engels did look like he was running in mud against Southampton, also not sure why he disappeared for a month? But I would put him back in too. I really like Hause, a lot of that relates to him being part of that whole run last season and all those 40 yard cross field passes. But he’s looked like an accident waiting to happen with the ball at his feet the last few weeks. Like a lot of the players he’s only young and probably does need taken out for a few games.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2020, 07:00:07 PM »
Hause isn't all that young, he'll be 25 in the summer.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2020, 08:50:54 PM »

https://www.givemesport.com/1529716-the-fastest-players-in-the-premier-league-so-far-this-season-have-been-revealed

6) Allan Saint-Maximin - Newcastle - 22.8mph (36.69kph)
=4) Bjorn Engels - Aston Villa - 22.9mph (36.85kph)
=4) Kyle Walker - Man City - 22.9mph (36.85kph)
3) Phil Foden - Man City - 23.1mph (37.17kph)
2) Shane Long - Southampton - 23.2 mph (37.33kph)
1) Caglar Soyuncu - Leicester City - 23.3mph (37.49kph)

One of fastest player's in league , have to admit I'm shocked to see him clock the same speed as Walker who is very quick

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »
He must have been carrying a knock. He looked so slow in his last start.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2020, 10:59:01 AM »
Not surprised that Dermot Gallagher says no penalty for the punch on Engels but not sure I follow his logic that the goalkeeper was going for the ball but as Engels got there first he caught him instead.  On that basis how was Heaton's challenge on Wilson a penalty or how is any defenders attempt to play the ball a penalty.  The lack of consistency is appalling and worsened by Gallagher's attempts to legitimise it.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »
Isn't every foul pretty much someone getting to the ball before the other person? Gallacher makes as much sense as a pissed up Paul Gascoigne.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
Isn't every foul pretty much someone getting to the ball before the other person? Gallacher makes as much sense as a pissed up Paul Gascoigne.
Galagher is just an apologist for referees and var. What is that tool even doing on my fkn screen?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal