collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Borja Baston  (Read 25898 times)

Offline nigel

Re: Borja Baston
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
At one point someone decided he was good enough to pay £15m.
It didn’t work out at Swansea, it doesn’t necessarily make him a worse player.
Gana, Veretout, Amarvi, to name three, didn’t work out at Villa. They’ve gone on to prove what good players they are.
This chap might very well be the same.

I don’t think it’s a panic buy, either. Not necessarily our first choice, but, not a panic appointment.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2020, 11:06:54 AM »
The market I think is starting to correct itself. Players who’ve gone to China now finding it very hard to come back mid contract or on loan as they’ve priced themselves out.

Baston cost £15m 5 years ago so clearly has some talent. A gamble yes - but a better gamble than loading your wage bill with a mercenary.

Drinkwater cost 30m a few years back. It doesn't mean they are any use. When we were in the championship we were able to get better players on short term deals.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »
Whelan, Onomah, Carroll better than Drinkwater? Ok.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
In French 'baston' means 'a scrap, a knock, a fight'. Well we're in one and we've got one.
In Spanish it means 'walking stick'.
Or 'cane'. And we need to cane a few in the next few games.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »
The market I think is starting to correct itself. Players who’ve gone to China now finding it very hard to come back mid contract or on loan as they’ve priced themselves out.

Baston cost £15m 5 years ago so clearly has some talent. A gamble yes - but a better gamble than loading your wage bill with a mercenary.

Drinkwater cost 30m a few years back. It doesn't mean they are any use. When we were in the championship we were able to get better players on short term deals.

Yes we were. The year we got promoted and the year before Bruce stocked us with loan signings.

It’s a great approach. As we then spent £26m to get Mings permanently and smaller sums to stand still with Hause and El Ghazi.

But we then also had to replace Tuanzebe, Abraham and Bolaise to an extent.

And so we invested a huge sum of money when considered what any other team in Europe did to rebuild the squad for this year.

This year is about hanging on by the skin of our teeth and spending big again in January wasn’t worth the risk. 

Bowen aside I don’t see a player signed permanently that we should of been in for and even so the transfer fee and wages in an area I don’t think we needed to strengthen. He’s not an out and out striker to hold the ball up.

Offline levico

« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2020, 12:33:16 PM »
Is it possible to be underwhelmed and open minded at the same time?

Looks as if he can head a ball though. We’re short of people like that.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2020, 01:02:39 PM »
I know nothing about this player whatsoever. All I can say is that I heard the news last night on the way back from picking up a takeaway on radio 5. Whoever it was that was talking about the signing who talked like he knew the quality of the player intimated it was “a shrewd bit Of business by Villa”. Whether that makes him any good or not I have no idea. I’m keeping an open mind and hope we’ve struck lucky.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2020, 01:38:11 PM »
Have we still got Jota by the way or did he go to Fulham?

Still here, I think.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #218 on: February 01, 2020, 02:10:27 PM »
Welcome to Aston Villa Borja.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2020, 02:25:01 PM »
Baston in Saxon English means "a plank or heavy piece of timber" especially used in the building of piers or harbours.  So long as he can head the ball, is not colour blind and does not fall over his own feet I do not give a f*ck.  All he has to do is watch what Jack does.  The rest is a piece of piss.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »
until the glassman gets shattered again, I imagine he won't get that much game time

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »
until the glassman gets shattered again, I imagine he won't get that much game time
It should up the game for them all. It provides the competition necessary to get the best out of whoever has the shirt.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »

Well if he looks like he might score he’s going to jump the queue. That’s not meant as a dig at Davis as such, because I think he’s got a lot of good qualities, but we need strikers who can score. Hopefully Davis will develop that, but at the moment it’s not there.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
Will he be the answer to our prayers ?!
Interesting to see if he gets any game time in the next game v Chelsea or Newcastle Wednesday
He'll be due some minutes .
If he does well and contribute he has incentives to be in the team and start.
But likely to come from the bench Vs Chelsea
Really? Do you have to ask that opening question?!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »
This was a desperate signing, nothing more.  I will be shocked if he pays more than 10 minutes for us.  In fact, I will go as far as to say, if he starts a single game for us, we have either got terrible injuries, or have given up the ghost and have accepted relegation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal