collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Borja Baston  (Read 26149 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Borja Baston
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2020, 03:20:26 AM »
Chim chimernee chim chimernee chim chim cheroo

We love that Baston in claret and blue!

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2020, 05:56:40 AM »
Both in Spain and in England divisions.
I'm trying to look at positives and comparable quality.
Profile wise its that Rondon , Barnes , Giroud with shades of Chicarito due to being in box desire .
No way near the leader or aggression of Deeney but competitive nature.
And perhaps shall we call a European touch of sensitivity
I saw him live twice in Spain.
I'm not saying he's all the answers but he could be well ok
Good luck I say.
I'm out till march.
Just wanted to give insight to flavor of what we just signed.

Thank you. This is the sort of useful football obsessive contribution only you can make, and will be missed while you are away. As others have said, no need to take a break, probably better if people get wound up they give you gentle feedback, and hopefully we live one big happily family, just like the EU right?
Oh ;(

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2020, 06:01:01 AM »
Interesting how different we all are btw, partly I don’t have time but I pretty much only watch Villa!

Online jwarry

« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2020, 06:04:01 AM »
Why is the signing ‘subject to international clearance?’

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2020, 06:29:04 AM »
At the very least, it's unlikely that we will be facing a first team match with no available senior striker again.
That's got to be worth something.

Online Kimaster1976

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »
Have they said how long a contract we have given him?

I sincerely hope its just a 6 month contract until the end of the season to actually motivate him to try and earn extensions.

Around 4-5 years ago he was scoring for fun in La Liga and was a £15 million man, and at only 27 there is a player in there somewhere given the right circumstances I'm sure.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2020, 06:59:12 AM »
I wish him well.  The signing of Drinkwater, Reina and Borja Baston says one of two things.  Either we are potless, by absence of money or inability to spend it or our backroom player evaluation team is mad.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2020, 07:10:44 AM »
*We follow Borja Baston.
We travel near and far.
You can see him scoring.
From the stands of Villa Park.  Ole Ole Ole*

Hopefully.

Offline enigma

« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2020, 07:13:27 AM »
To be honest, it seems like a signing we'd have made under Lambert. Bowery-esque. Someone who couldn't score in the lower leagues yet we sign him up anyway to get goals in the Prem. Along with the Drinkwater signing and letting Chester go, I'm not sure if we've strengthened or weakened the squad.

If I'm being kind, the long term injuries will have changed the priorities and possibly up-ended their plans for this window but it's all still pretty uninspiring.

Honestly, I'd rather have had an injury porone Sturridge. I'd be far more confident he'd get goals whenever he played.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2020, 07:23:29 AM »
Yeah I think they looked at a few options to stand in for Wes and this was the one that they could do simple as that. Fingers crossed he helps to keep us up. The big disappointment for me was that they hadn’t already got a winger lined up although to be fair with playing 3 at the back, wing backs and 2 centre mids it means Grealish takes up one of the wing slots anyway. I also hope we have recall option on Chester, if not that could end up being a proper fuck up.
With wingbacks, why would you want out-and-out wingers?
The 3-5-2 approach requires a tight midfield with players able to break forward quickly from midfield.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:46:57 AM by Mister E »

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2020, 07:31:04 AM »
To be honest, it seems like a signing we'd have made under Lambert. Bowery-esque. Someone who couldn't score in the lower leagues yet we sign him up anyway to get goals in the Prem. Along with the Drinkwater signing and letting Chester go, I'm not sure if we've strengthened or weakened the squad.

If I'm being kind, the long term injuries will have changed the priorities and possibly up-ended their plans for this window but it's all still pretty uninspiring.

Honestly, I'd rather have had an injury porone Sturridge. I'd be far more confident he'd get goals whenever he played.

He has scored a boatload in the Spanish higher leagues. He is nothing like Bowery.

He’s probably a worst case scenario that would do a better job than AEG. I think you would be optimistic to expect sturridge to sacrifice regular starts to come and sit on our bench.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2020, 07:51:38 AM »
Why is the signing ‘subject to international clearance?’

The whim of Pritti Patel?

Thanks to Brexit?

Offline enigma

« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2020, 07:58:19 AM »

He has scored a boatload in the Spanish higher leagues. He is nothing like Bowery.

He’s probably a worst case scenario that would do a better job than AEG. I think you would be optimistic to expect sturridge to sacrifice regular starts to come and sit on our bench.

I think you're taking it a little too literally, however He only spent one season in the Spanish top flight albeit a decent one. That was all a long time ago though and he's done nothing since. He struggled to score goals for Swansea so I won't get my hopes up too much.

As for Sturridge I think there's a fair chance if fit he'd get in ahead of Samatta. Big if though.

Offline Uknowthescore

« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2020, 08:05:13 AM »
So Baston might have been 4th choice at Swansea, but I also remember a recent signing who was also a 4th choice but is an absolute brick wall, now plays for England and is a Villa legend...   ( nicked off Twitter)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2020, 08:05:30 AM »
Both in Spain and in England divisions.
I'm trying to look at positives and comparable quality.
Profile wise its that Rondon , Barnes , Giroud with shades of Chicarito due to being in box desire .
No way near the leader or aggression of Deeney but competitive nature.
And perhaps shall we call a European touch of sensitivity
I saw him live twice in Spain.
I'm not saying he's all the answers but he could be well ok
Good luck I say.
I'm out till march.
Just wanted to give insight to flavor of what we just signed.

Thank you. This is the sort of useful football obsessive contribution only you can make, and will be missed while you are away. As others have said, no need to take a break, probably better if people get wound up they give you gentle feedback, and hopefully we live one big happily family, just like the EU right?
Oh ;(
I agree, just channel those energies.

Can't say I've heard of the guy ... he's a massive gamble - but he didn't cost anything, is on a short term contract, and has come to be 3rd choice at a club involved in a relegation battle at the moment.

From how he's been (helpfully) described by vill I an, i can sort of see why we've gone for him. Sounds like he's a pretty handy striker if you can get a tune out of him / play to his strengths.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:07:42 AM by algy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal