collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread  (Read 156909 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread
« Reply #900 on: February 24, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »
I’m not looking forward to it.

Weather is likely to be sh%t, football likely to be sh%t and pub likely to be sh%t.

I was going to stay at home but I was persuaded to go.  Hopefully I’ll be a bit more positive come Sunday.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #901 on: February 24, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »
Just a question - are we bigger underdogs than we were against Spurs in 1970? 

Lets enjoy it, who knows we may never get to another final?

When I am walking up towards Wembley on Sunday I will be so excited and looking forward to us see us win (even at my age)

If this was the other way round and we were massive favourites, we would all still think that we would lose

We are ASTON VILLA - Lets get behind the team (I am just off to church to pray for the miracle)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:54:38 PM by sid1964 »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #902 on: February 24, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »
Just a question - are we bigger underdogs than we were against Spurs in 1970?

Lets enjoy it, who knows we may never get to another final?
I think we are, we go into the game lacking structure, confidence and ability
I would not be surprised if the players put in a performance though.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #903 on: February 24, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
Narrow defeat. Can’t honestly see us beating them.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #904 on: February 24, 2020, 03:36:27 PM »
Narrow defeat. Can’t honestly see us beating them.
By narrow, do you mean less than a score which gets spelt out in letters as well as the number on the tv results e.g Man City 7 ( seven) ?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #905 on: February 24, 2020, 03:37:27 PM »
A new cup record loss if we play like we did at the weekend.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #906 on: February 24, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »
Saturday was incredibly disappointing and we do have to get our League form sorted out and sharpish.......

BUT.....what the fuck is wrong with all of you....

It’s Wembley, it’s a Cup Final, we’re there, 90 other clubs aren’t. This is what being a fan is all about, this is why I went to Crewe and Brighton away and went mad in a bar in Cape Verde watching the Leicester home leg. It’s why I go to Football, the trophies. I realise there are hollow laughs at that comment but nothing is easy in Football, you’ll invariably be let down more than you’re pissed up singing Sweet Caroline, you’ll be swearing and hating your own club more than any other.

There was a discussion on here a few weeks back about the prospect of Jack Grealish leaving the club and a fatalism narrative that far too many of our support have bought into admittedly as a result of bitter experience. Well we need to stop going down that rabbit hole for this Final as well. It’s about time we all got a grip, got down to Wembley and got behind our team even if we get stuffed. There are people in our history , Saunders and Taylor to name but two , who would have looked at being an underdog and unfancied as a team and would have relished the opportunity to have a crack. Where’s that spirit now?

Let’s also not forget this little stat:

Aston Villa - 20 Major trophies
Manchester City - 19 Major trophies

Anyone want to see them draw level? Thought not....

We may not be a super club by the modern definition with the GDP of a small failed state but fuck me we’re still Aston Villa, we’re still relevant and we’ve got a chance to show what this club is about. Wembley may be a corporate shithole of the highest order but you’re going down to represent a true giant of the English game no matter how tarnished that reputation has become, no matter how much piss taking we get from others. Let’s stop talking ourselves into an defeat, yeah we may get dicked but I’d rather go down supporting my team with a positive attitude than throwing my toys out the pram because we didn’t play 4-5-1 or Dean didn’t make the right subs. Our support does make a difference, let’s see if it can help on Sunday.

We’re Aston Villa, whether born to it or whether you chose it, don’t ever fucking forget it.

Up the Fucking Villa.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #907 on: February 24, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
No offence at all but I really hate rah rah posts like that.  Well done on trying to be positive, but I'm going there intending to enjoy the day but throughly convinced we're going to lose.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #908 on: February 24, 2020, 04:08:52 PM »
No offence at all but I really hate rah rah posts like that.  Well done on trying to be positive, but I'm going there intending to enjoy the day but throughly convinced we're going to lose.

I’m the same about some of the constant doom laden stuff as well. Like you I’ll enjoy the day no matter whether we win lose or draw.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #909 on: February 24, 2020, 04:12:43 PM »
Hating positive posts about a cup final seems a tad bizarre. We all realistically know that we're massive underdogs but hating that someone is positive is weird.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #910 on: February 24, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »

There's a difference between going there in hope rather than expectation, and some of the stuff that is again all over this thread.   I've read people saying they wish weren't going, that it is going to be an embarrassment and that come the end of the match we will all be fighting amongst ourselves!  This is the week of a cup final, one taking place about 20 months after we were worried about not having a club at all much less be one game away from competing in Europe again.

Offline frank black

« Reply #911 on: February 24, 2020, 04:22:52 PM »
Just looking for us to replicate the effort and display we gave when playing Liverpool in the cup semi final please.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #912 on: February 24, 2020, 04:36:35 PM »
If all of the City first teamers pick up injuries in The Champions league this week I would be very positive.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #913 on: February 24, 2020, 04:44:22 PM »
If all of the City first teamers pick up injuries in The Champions league this week I would be very positive.

errr  still no , they have a squad

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #914 on: February 24, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
I know all this positivity is infectious

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal