collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread  (Read 156716 times)

Offline VillaBoy_23

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread
« Reply #630 on: February 18, 2020, 11:54:39 PM »
If I’d supported a team as shit as City for as long as I’ve supported Villa I’d be milking every cup final for as long as I physically could out of blind fear that I’d wake up and it all would have been a dream.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #631 on: February 19, 2020, 12:32:30 AM »
Personally, I put the league way ahead of the League Cup and that's as a Villa fan.

I went to the Wolves freebie but apart from that, I haven't bothered with any cup game.  On the other hand, I've been to every league game with the exception of Norwich away (which I reluctantly missed because it was my brother in laws 60th).

Football isn't cheap and a trip to Wembley is a good £200.  There's also the balance of keeping the other half happy.

I fully understand City fans not going to Wembley for this game.  I've only just about mustered the enthusiasm myself.  I'm far more bothered about how we get on, on Saturday.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #632 on: February 19, 2020, 05:57:40 AM »
I'd love to go to this. I love living abroad, but I've missed so many trips to Wembley because of it.

I think we'll definitely beat Man City. That's just how it's going to be, as mad as that sounds. It'll be up and down, and nailbiting stuff, but ultimately Jack will have his hands on that Coca Cola Cup trophy (as it'll always be known to me) at the end of the day.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #633 on: February 19, 2020, 06:21:26 AM »
Any club that goes to wembley 5 times in 12 months might struggle to sell out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:18:25 AM by London Villan »

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #634 on: February 19, 2020, 07:42:10 AM »
Don't they struggle to sell out every game at home despite their obvious successes?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #635 on: February 19, 2020, 07:50:36 AM »
Its poor. There's no reasonable defence of their rapid descent into Arsenalism.

Offline avfc456

« Reply #636 on: February 19, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
Personally, I put the league way ahead of the League Cup and that's as a Villa fan.

I went to the Wolves freebie but apart from that, I haven't bothered with any cup game.  On the other hand, I've been to every league game with the exception of Norwich away (which I reluctantly missed because it was my brother in laws 60th).

Football isn't cheap and a trip to Wembley is a good £200.  There's also the balance of keeping the other half happy.

I fully understand City fans not going to Wembley for this game.  I've only just about mustered the enthusiasm myself.  I'm far more bothered about how we get on, on Saturday.

Spot on this agree with every word- we live in a time where its easy to go on twitter read all seats are not sold out and bang the tinpot support drum, I remember under the brief success we had under MON some of the very average away followings we had, even the FA cup semi final was not a sell out in our end and its not like we had the prolonged success that City have had- point being is the more games you have, most people on average incomes like myself with a mortgage and a family prioritise and pick and choose

Football is an expensive business, with aways, champions league games, league and FA cup games to fork out for when most are televised anyway, I can more than understand why Man City fans are picking and choosing and don't find a tie against a team that will most likely be less competitive than their community shield tie at the start of the season worth shelling a few hundred notes out for when they play Real Madrid the same week

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #637 on: February 19, 2020, 08:31:19 AM »

This is pretty much where I'm at. The difference is: I won't use my ticket to go ...
There; I've said it and committed to not going, which makes me feel a little shabby.

It's not a case of being defeatist about the game - several have suggested there may be an upset, and I agree there could be. It's more about the need for a total focus on the League, and I think the LCF is an unnecessary distraction.

(I realise that the 2 are not mutually exclusive ... ; there's a slightly perverse logic in what I'm doing, I accept that)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #638 on: February 19, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »
As I think it was Bill Paisley once said

“Big Clubs win things”

If we win a week on Sunday it’ll be our 21st Major trophy no matter how much people downplay the League Cup these days. If it’s so unimportant I assume all the other clubs will remove their League Cup wins from their trophy counts as well.......thought not.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #639 on: February 19, 2020, 08:53:44 AM »

“Big Clubs win things”

If we win a week on Sunday it’ll be our 21st Major trophy no matter how much people downplay the League Cup these days. If it’s so unimportant I assume all the other clubs will remove their League Cup wins from their trophy counts as well.......thought not.

Well said!

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #640 on: February 19, 2020, 09:07:44 AM »

“Big Clubs win things”

I saw a list of Liverpool’s honours last year and they now appear to be including European Super Cups in their total.

We should therefore do the same so if we win next week in my book that will be our 22nd trophy.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #641 on: February 19, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »
We shouldn't count European Super Cups as it's a slippery slope to counting Charity Shields which would mean the likes of Everton and Tottenham overtake our trophy count. No fucking thanks.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #642 on: February 19, 2020, 09:38:10 AM »
We shouldn't count European Super Cups as it's a slippery slope to counting Charity Shields which would mean the likes of Everton and Tottenham overtake our trophy count. No fucking thanks.

I'd like to throw in the Peace Cup and the Hong Kong Sevens.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #643 on: February 19, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
If we lose this weekend in another woeful display that we tend ti do against Southampton,i bet there will be some returns  for the final

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #644 on: February 19, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »
Returns?  Everyone who has a ticket has logged on and bought one. The club wouldn't accept returns

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal