collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread  (Read 156708 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread
« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2020, 11:25:00 AM »
Our tactics, if that's what they could be called, were wrong in the league game. Our "midfield" seemed so hell bent on keeping their shape that they forgot to actually engage the opposition.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2020, 12:09:33 PM »
Our mindset was one of surrender. We lacked any belief. We had average Championship standard wing backs, an out of form midfield, no centre forward and Nyland chucked 3 in. Everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
Three at the back won’t work against city. Playing from the back is also a recipe for disaster. WE have to take the game to city this time not sit back like cowards like we did in the home game.

Mings and Konsa at cb with a midfield of Luiz nakamaba and hourihane.

Last season Chelsea in the final actually switched to a false 9 upfront for the final, Hazard played there. It worked well and Chelsea got to penalties. Sarri didn't play Hazard directly upfront in any other game last season so that's an example of a coach ripping up his template for a one off game.

Could Grealish as the striker and flooding the midfield at least keep us in the game up to the last period? I think it's worth a go tbh as certainly you'd back Jack to keep the ball longer and win some free kicks in dangerous areas the higher he's up the pitch.

It's going to be very tough whatever formation. My main fear is it's a repeat of 2015 final. From the kick off we just retreat and just starting booting the ball upfield rather than keeping it down and trying to start building up attacks.

Man.  City are hardly a difficult team to score past if you keep things tight but we made that look near impossible with our approach at VP.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #393 on: February 09, 2020, 02:36:34 PM »
Three weeks before the game and I think we haven't got a chance, regardless of what tactics we go for.

Next Sunday, I'll think that we could contain them if we play well but they'll have to have a rank off day.

The Sunday after, I may believe that we could sneak it.  Maybe penalties?

The morning over the game, we'll win 2-0 no worries and Man City needed bother turning up!

Offline Dr_Pangloss

« Reply #394 on: February 09, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »
City by their own high standards are in a bit of a mess. I think if we concede early we're pretty much fucked and could be in for a tonking. However if we can just frustrate them, make it ugly, and defend well then you never know.

We need to look at our first half performance at the Etihad as a bit of a blue print. Obviously they went on to win easily but they were in better form/ spirits at that stage. We showed we could hold our own, frustrate them and give them a few things to worry about going forward.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #395 on: February 09, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »
It's a Cup Final. We've beaten Crewe, Brighton, Wolves, Liverpool and Leicester so far. 4 top division sides. What's to say we can't win the final? If we play like we have against them we're screwed but if we play as we can we'll give them a game.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #396 on: February 09, 2020, 11:10:07 PM »
It's a Cup Final. We've beaten Crewe, Brighton, Wolves, Liverpool and Leicester so far. 4 top division sides. What's to say we can't win the final? If we play like we have against them we're screwed but if we play as we can we'll give them a game.

2015 had better omens to me. A striker in red hot form, a succesful end to the season staying up and Arsenal were nowhere near as good as this Man. City team given the previous season a Steve Bruce led Hull should've beaten them.

We all know what happened. Ultimately history is always a bearing until we start rewriting it. Never mind the results our performances in major cup finals have been very poor and lacking in any sort of belief bar 2010 which was a pass and screwed by ridiculous ref decision.

Hopefully the play off final win will at least give us confidence and should mean we don't get stage fright this time.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #397 on: February 10, 2020, 12:03:11 AM »
Never mind the results our performances in major cup finals have been very poor and lacking in any sort of belief bar 2010 which was a pass and screwed by ridiculous ref decision.

So that leaves two this century, and a couple the decade before that were anything but.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #398 on: February 10, 2020, 12:11:56 AM »
Never mind the results our performances in major cup finals have been very poor and lacking in any sort of belief bar 2010 which was a pass and screwed by ridiculous ref decision.

So that leaves two this century, and a couple the decade before that were anything but.

Fulham aswell which was a very disappointing game and could've done the most long term damage of all the defeats.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #399 on: February 10, 2020, 12:23:39 AM »

Fulham aswell which was a very disappointing game and could've done the most long term damage of all the defeats.

If you count a play-off as a major cup final (which I don't) you're forgetting last year's.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #400 on: February 10, 2020, 12:25:32 AM »
I don't class play-offs as cup finals as they are just extra league games. I also don't include the inter toto. So in my life we've been in 9 major finals, only 2 of them have lost because we played shit.

If you want to include play-offs and inter toto then it's 3 out of 12.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #401 on: February 10, 2020, 08:06:26 AM »
Given the previous chat about decades etc- does the Chelsea debacle count as this century or last? Not that it really matters, we were fkg shite that day.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #402 on: February 10, 2020, 08:19:26 AM »
Given the previous chat about decades etc- does the Chelsea debacle count as this century or last? Not that it really matters, we were fkg shite that day.

It didn't happen full stop. Just erase it from your memory. 

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #403 on: February 10, 2020, 08:50:44 AM »
In the 2000 FA Cup final we were crap but so were Chelsea there really wasn't much in it which made it so disappointing to lose.
If only we had showed up that day, it was there for the taking.
In 2015 we were terrible, it was the beginning of the end, with relegation the following season.
Absolute catastrophe for me personally as it cost me a small fortune to get to see it, as I managed to get a week off work and travelled from Australia.
Against  Man City I think we all are not expecting to win but I just hope we can frustrate them and give them a decent game, then you never know.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #404 on: February 10, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »

If you count a play-off as a major cup final (which I don't) you're forgetting last year's.

I did say I hope last year's one means we at least won't freeze on the day and give Man. City a decent game whatever the result. That's what everyone is hoping for anyway. No shots on target and no corners isn't worth thinking about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal