collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 02:36:36 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Women - Eni Aluko  (Read 35302 times)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Re: Aston Villa Women - Eni Aluko
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2020, 03:10:47 PM »
She makes Mark Draper look like Einstein.

To be fair, who doesn’t want to play for a top Italian side like Barcelona?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2020, 11:12:11 PM »
It's a brave member of the Villa hierarchy who'd try to sack her.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2020, 11:17:14 PM »
Well so far we've played 3, lost 3, so just like Suso paid the price for an underperforming men's team, she should pay the price if the women's team continues to underperform.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2020, 11:44:47 PM »
She's been at the club less than 9 months and most of this thread is probably the bad publicity she generates.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2021, 03:50:32 PM »
Article by her in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/31/aston-villa-my-crazy-challenging-first-year-has-ended-on-a-high

My crazy, challenging first year at Aston Villa has ended on a high
Making the statement signing of Mana Iwabuchi was a proud moment as sporting director and I am excited about 2021

winner. This was a statement signing for a club in our first season in the WSL, the culmination of a process I’d been working on since the summer, and the moment the deal was concluded has to go down as a highlight of my short career so far as a sporting director.

Villa’s head coach Gemma Davies and I share an admiration and respect for Japanese women’s football and its players past and present. I was fortunate to benefit from the footballing artistry of Japanese legends when playing with Aya Miyama at St Louis Athletica in the USA and Yuki Nagasato during my time at Chelsea, players who, like Mana, displayed the precision and grace that are part of the DNA of Japanese women’s football.

We first tried to sign Mana before the Tokyo Olympics were postponed and she chose to stay in Japan. We never gave up, though, and – having worked with Mana’s European agent during my playing career – when the opportunity came up again to have a conversation about bringing her over, I was at the front of the queue.

I knew we would be competing with other top clubs, but Gemma and I were able to deliver a Microsoft Teams presentation to Mana about our long-term ambitions, our playing and training environment, and how she would fit into our team. Fortunately that was a great conversation, and then it was about trying to construct a deal. This time I presented to Christian Purslow, our CEO, about the benefits of signing Mana, both on and off the pitch; not only will she improve our side, she will also boost our profile in women’s football, and in Japan. Constructing a unique deal with our CEO is something I’m really proud of. It feels like a great way to end what has been a crazy year transitioning from the pitch to life on the other side of the white lines.

This time last year I had just left Juventus, and I announced my retirement in January before being appointed by Villa later that month. The team were unbeaten, looking all but promoted, and starting to plan for potential life in the WSL with lots of player recruitment decisions already made. Then my first week in the job coincided with the beginning of a global pandemic, which brought challenges I could never have foreseen, including game and league cancellations, Covid testing and establishing bubbles.

I was confident in my ability to do this job, because I’ve played the game at the highest level, I’ve qualified and worked as a lawyer, I have developed my own personal commercial profile, and I’d studied through Uefa for a master’s in sporting directorship. I felt ready to make the jump, but to transition so quickly from being a full-time professional footballer to working in football administration during a global pandemic has been a challenge.

In many ways, even without the pandemic it was a tricky time to arrive – the team were successful and there was a massive high in the group, so I came into an established culture that I wanted to try to shape moving forward. The season was cancelled – submitting a letter to the FA in support of our promotion was nerve-racking to say the least – but thankfully the hard work of the players and staff was deservedly rewarded. My message then was that what it took to get us promoted might not enable us to be successful in the WSL, the most competitive women’s league in the world.

Naturally people in successful environments sometimes resist change, and it was inevitable that not everyone would welcome a high-profile former footballer coming in and talking about improvements, but a sporting director has to be objective, to drive standards and have the courage to have new ideas.

I have had to get used to a different way of working to the one I was used to. There’s a special atmosphere in a successful football team, created by everyone working together and sharing in their achievements. As a striker it used to be my job to score goals, but even if I did not get on the scoresheet, we celebrated together if the team won. There was no disguising where individual credit lay – it’s perfectly obvious who has scored, or assisted, or made saves, tackles or good runs – but the priority is collective success.

In football administration, and probably most corporate jobs, the lines are more blurred and people demonstrate their ambition in different ways. It can be harder to know where responsibility lies, and I have found it tricky and sometimes isolating to get accustomed to that side of my new working life. It took me a little while to accept that the on-pitch bonds with teammates, forged from winning trophies and creating timeless memories, are almost impossible to replicate off the pitch.

Having won promotion Villa Women haven’t had the best start, and we sit 11th in a 12-team league, so our work of trying to secure points, developing as a group, building the brand, continues. Though they are a bigger club, the fact that Manchester United, in their second season in the WSL, are top shows us that we don’t have to limit our ambitions. I have to look two or three years ahead, set realistic goals and work with the multi-disciplinary team behind the team to develop the environment we need to achieve.

I am excited about the year to come, continuing to develop and learn as a sporting director and as a person, while also continuing the punditry work that keeps my mind sharp – I can analyse Premier League games, players and managers and use that knowledge to assist our technical coaching team.

I am hungry to keep learning and plan to start a course with football finance modules in the new year. I have been listening to a lot of podcasts on leadership, reading up on other sporting directors and managers and learning how other people have transitioned from successful playing careers into other roles within the game. I am excited continue along the journey we are on as a group, and I am convinced that Aston Villa Women are on the right track for 2021.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »
Fair play to her.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #187 on: May 05, 2021, 10:13:47 PM »
Is she still a director of our football club?

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #188 on: May 05, 2021, 10:20:37 PM »
She played for them for 10 years. If Gazbaz was a coach at Albion and said something good about Villa would that be ok. What about JT if he was pleased that Chelsea won tonight.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2021, 10:30:05 PM »
She's a director. Purslow was managing director at Chelsea but he's not currently publicly creaming over them making the Champions League final because he's got some common sense.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #190 on: May 05, 2021, 10:31:36 PM »
What a prize pillock she really is.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:00 PM »
What a prize pillock she really is.
She's only saying what JT is thinking !

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2021, 10:36:11 PM »
Really. 2 years at 'The Mighty Reds YNWA', 3 at Chelsea and a long career outside football as opposed to half your working life in football for one club

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2021, 10:37:24 PM »
"Incredible, inspiring". Those adjectives might be apt if a team of amateurs from Lithuania or the Faroe Islands made the final. The wealthiest club from the wealthiest city in the continent? I'd say it's slightly less incredible and inspiring, at the risk of spoiling everyone's oil-soaked party.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2021, 11:33:14 PM »
Needs to concentrate on the women's team at the present moment

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal