collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 12:36:04 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by claret+blue ed
[Today at 12:35:40 PM]

NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 12:32:26 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 12:29:49 PM]

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 12:27:25 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Risso
[Today at 12:24:34 PM]

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:13:54 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Matt C
[Today at 12:04:19 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 12:36:04 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by claret+blue ed
[Today at 12:35:40 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:32:30 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 12:32:26 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Exeter 77
[Today at 12:30:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 12:29:49 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 12:28:02 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 12:27:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Watford Post Match Thread  (Read 40105 times)

Offline Luffbralion

Re: Aston Villa v Watford Post Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 22, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »
Back to analysis.

That game summed up the beauty of this sport. At 7.30 I was nervous, at 8.15 I was thinking about renewing trips to Rotherham and Wigan and at 9.25 I was hugging strangers and belting out "Sweet Caroline" with all the gusto I could summon.

Reina looks like a really shrewd acquistion. A leader and a winner. Great second half save and excellent distribution.
Konsa and Hause both have real potential but need to work on concentration and cut out errors. I can't fathom why so often the ball is played square to Hause when Konsa is available and much better on the ball.
I thought Drinkwater was awful first two games but last night he showed he has awareness, can thread a pass through and has some "nous". Once he has got his sharpness back he will be a useful addition.
El Ghazi has been given a thankless task but has been disciplined and hard working as the lone striker.
Once Samatta comes in we shall have a focal point - especially for the full-backs when they put crosses in.
We showed resilience and positivity after again going a goal behind.

Lastly, a plea for everyone to get behind this team. One bloke behind me spend the first hour castigating Drinkwater, Hause and Deano in turn.   These players care and with our backing, especially when things aren't going too well, they will give it the proverbial 110%.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2020, 01:58:00 PM »
re Deeney.

Obviously, he a horrific troll-faced mess, but that's because he's a Blues fan, and that's what Blues fans look like.

I don't mind him taking the piss and rubbing it in with us, we'd be laughing if that was 10 years ago and it was Gabby doing it to Small Heath fans. Fair play to him.

I always remember in the 80s when David Seaman was at QPR, we always used to engage in some gentle baiting with him ("Are you glad you left the Blues?" was a chant I recall), it's harmless enough *

The people throwing stuff at him are absolute fucking idiots, though.

* on a similar note, anyone else remember shouting TINA! at Peter Shilton?

I like him.  He's a proper football fan (well, a Blues fan, but you know what I mean) who is doing a job he loves and likes taking the piss out of his club's bitter rivals.  He's a good player and seems like a decent, humble bloke.

Offline Risso

« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2020, 02:00:27 PM »
I wouldn't start an argument with John Crofts, he'd batter the be-jaysus out of everyone on this forum. 

Not me, I'd make good my escape on my bike!  Oh.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2020, 02:06:51 PM »
Feeney has every right to do that and it's kind of nice to see a player who's still a fan (though how absolutely Blues is it that his fandom is expressed solely in being obsessed with us). It's all part of the game, and it's just up to us to make sure we beat him.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »
Troy Deeney would be mortified by how many of us quite like him - but he’s a whole hearted player who understands  that Villa/Blues should be ‘banter’ for want of a better word, not hate.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »
re Deeney.

Obviously, he a horrific troll-faced mess, but that's because he's a Blues fan, and that's what Blues fans look like.

I don't mind him taking the piss and rubbing it in with us, we'd be laughing if that was 10 years ago and it was Gabby doing it to Small Heath fans. Fair play to him.

I always remember in the 80s when David Seaman was at QPR, we always used to engage in some gentle baiting with him ("Are you glad you left the Blues?" was a chant I recall), it's harmless enough *

I like him.  He's a proper football fan (well, a Blues fan, but you know what I mean) who is doing a job he loves and likes taking the piss out of his club's bitter rivals.  He's a good player and seems like a decent, humble bloke.

Yeah seems fair enough, give and take.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #306 on: January 22, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
Interesting in the post match interviews that Konsa and Mings confirmed they'd had an argument at half time but that all was sorted for the second half.

There's an honest and open approach about our side that I like.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #307 on: January 22, 2020, 02:20:43 PM »
I agree with the last few posts re Deeney but it did feel good to know that the winner last night would have stung him just that little bit harder then his teammates.

Offline Risso

« Reply #308 on: January 22, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
Interesting in the post match interviews that Konsa and Mings confirmed they'd had an argument at half time but that all was sorted for the second half.

There's an honest and open approach about our side that I like.

I don't think there's a Villa player left who hasn't felt the wrath of Mings' tongue this season!  And that's a good thing, obviously.  As long as he can take it as well as give it out of course.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #309 on: January 22, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
re Deeney.

He was one of the few who spoke out when we got relegated saying he didn't want it to happen as it would mean job losses at the club.

For the non matchplaying staff etc.

Even Erik Cack and the troglodytes playing for us at the time didn't seem to have those concerns.   So he went up in my estimation after that.

I can't be sure, but he might be one of those odd Bluenoses that spent a fair bit of time at VP growing up.  Plenty around Chelmsley Wood seemed to think he was Villa. Lee Carsley who was another one who had impeccable taste growing up (former Holte Ender) before he started mixing with the lower orders.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »
If Deeney was so worried about job losses before we were relegated, I wonder why he took so much obvious pleasure in hammering another nail in our coffin at Vicarage Road a few years ag after his late winner in front of us. He can fuck himself, just like every other jealous, insecure Blues fan can 

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #311 on: January 22, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
re Deeney.

Peter 'Pants Down' Shilton. For our younger readers...............

In May 1980, the England goalkeeper parked his Jag in a dirt track behind Nottingham racecourse with Tina Street at 5am. No drama there, except Shilts had drunk a few too many and Tina's husband Colin was hardly enamoured with the fact that the pair were "partially clothed" when he tried to open the car door. When police arrived at the scene, Shilts sped off, crashed into a lamppost and was busted for drink driving.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #312 on: January 22, 2020, 02:38:32 PM »
Back to analysis.

That game summed up the beauty of this sport. At 7.30 I was nervous, at 8.15 I was thinking about renewing trips to Rotherham and Wigan and at 9.25 I was hugging strangers and belting out "Sweet Caroline" with all the gusto I could summon.

Reina looks like a really shrewd acquistion. A leader and a winner. Great second half save and excellent distribution.
Konsa and Hause both have real potential but need to work on concentration and cut out errors. I can't fathom why so often the ball is played square to Hause when Konsa is available and much better on the ball.
I thought Drinkwater was awful first two games but last night he showed he has awareness, can thread a pass through and has some "nous". Once he has got his sharpness back he will be a useful addition.
El Ghazi has been given a thankless task but has been disciplined and hard working as the lone striker.
Once Samatta comes in we shall have a focal point - especially for the full-backs when they put crosses in.
We showed resilience and positivity after again going a goal behind.

Lastly, a plea for everyone to get behind this team. One bloke behind me spend the first hour castigating Drinkwater, Hause and Deano in turn.   These players care and with our backing, especially when things aren't going too well, they will give it the proverbial 110%.

oh dear, think you might sit in front of me

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #313 on: January 22, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »
I think Deeney likes playing the panto villain - especially so against us. He took time out to speak to all the villa kids during his warm up. As genuine a Brummie fella as you would wish to meet. If it was not for his link with that lot we would all actually embrace him. I would imagine he will end up playing for them at the end of his career - well if they still have a club left  ;D

Reina - class, experience and coolness - could be a masterstroke

Guilbert - really like this guy - face swollen with an abcess but still battled like a trouper

Targett - really provided an outball and was one, if not his best game for us - great effort on goal to create the chance for Luiz

Mings - imperious

Hause - some heart in the mouth moments but last 15 mins threw his body in front of everything

Konza - As Hause but more composed at times

Drinkwater - some muppet was slagging him off by me from the first whistle - I am sure once he gets match fit he will be prove to be a big asset in the final part of the season with his experience alone

Jack - Was as we know him to be - unbelievable how strong he must be to take such a physical bashing every game - look at his shorts when he leaves the pitch they are filthy as he is put on the floor so much

Trez - Still for me the weakest part of the team and expect his place to be lost to accommodate Samatta

El Ghazhi - Worked his nads off for the team with very little service or support

Nakamba - MOTM - thought he was exceptional last night - maybe having the experience of Drinkwater next to him gives him more freedom to express himself

Luiz - Great impact and great goal  - you see glimpses of just how good he could be - time will tell (still not fully forgiven him yet for sucking up to Pep)

Vassilev - Very Weinmann in his approach - worked for the team without any real impact

Dean and the coaches - fair play to you - this is all about the team and unity and we have it in heaps. Everyone has the right attitude and fight about them - so very different to that shower of shit that got us relegated

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #314 on: January 22, 2020, 02:50:13 PM »
Potential muppet here as I thought Drinkwater was way off the pace and Konsa was poor in his defending,too weak and not alert to danger,especially in providing cover for Guilbert.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal