collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Watford Post Match Thread  (Read 39705 times)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: Aston Villa v Watford Post Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2020, 10:17:31 AM »
What did Luiz do to take the piss other than jump into the Holte?
He walked past Deeney doing a kind of matador strut with his chest pumped up and his hands on his hips.

Didn’t notice it at the time but it looked a pretty good celebration seeing it later.

It's the Vince McMahon signature strut, which has become popular again through Conor McGregor doing it.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2020, 10:33:13 AM »
What did Luiz do to take the piss other than jump into the Holte?
He walked past Deeney doing a kind of matador strut with his chest pumped up and his hands on his hips.

Didn’t notice it at the time but it looked a pretty good celebration seeing it later.

It's the Vince McMahon signature strut, which has become popular again through Conor McGregor doing it.
Well it seemed to wind Troy Deeney up so i like it!!

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
just seen a video on twitter of McGinn, Hutton and what looked like Gabby all enjoying that last minute winner...

UTV
The Doc

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2020, 10:38:13 AM »
I was actually a bit bored for the first 20 minutes, for the first time since Bruce left.  It was like back then, slowly moving the ball around with very little idea or movement.  Thank God it got better.  We were still much the better side and yet they went through us like a hot knife through butter to take an undeserved lead.  You could see there why Man City were able to get 6. 

I didn't think Drinkwater was too bad, some good things, some bad,  but still needs to get up to speed and work on his touch, he got closed down and caught on the ball too often.     

Can't really say anyone played badly although I have to say Hause on the ball is dreadful at the moment, like a blind kitten with a ping pong ball and missed a sitter of a header (or was it two?).   And Trezeguet whilst appearing to work hard,  continues to run around like an eager puppy to no effect whatsoever.  Still cannot see the point of him.

I thought the wing backs played well, Targett linked up well with Grealish a few times.  Grealish seemed to be trying to do it all on his own too often second half, taking on three or four men.  Possibly due to the lack of options/quality around him. 

Twatford got what they deserved for their timewasting throughout the second half - aint Karma a bitch?

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »
Nightmare getting the bed dry this morning.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2020, 11:01:39 AM »
just seen a video on twitter of McGinn, Hutton and what looked like Gabby all enjoying that last minute winner...

UTV
The Doc

Link?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »

UTV
The Doc

Link?

Yes, please share

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »
I’ve got lots of thoughts on the game not all positive I have to say

but I was with my two youngest kids last night (11+14) we went down to the front of the Doug to see the game out
when that last second goal went in we were jumping around like loons,
my lad was in the arms of a total strangers we were hugging and just embracing everyone around

I don’t think you get that moment of complete abandonment with anything else in life more than live football

a home game relegation scrap against a nonentity Watford on paper nothing to write home about in the pages of our life history yet we came away with a memory that will last for a lifetime

only football can do that
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:19:31 AM by john e »

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »
I’ve got lots of thoughts on the game not all positive I have to say

but I was with my two youngest kids last night (11+14) we went down to the front of the Doug to see the game out
when that last second goal went in we were jumping around like loons,
my lad was in the arms of a total strangers we were hugging and just embracing everyone around

I don’t think you get that moment of complete abandonment with anything else in life more than live football

a home game relegation scrap against a nonentity Watford on paper nothing to write home about in the pages of our life history yet we came away with a memory that will last for a lifetime

only football can do that

Agreed, all the lads I went to the Brighton game with agreed that the last-gasp winner will stay with them for life, and two of them weren't even Villans. A couple of us ended up in the next row because those directly in front of us had left early and the surge from the crowd pushed us forward so suddenly!

Great memory for your boys, John. As a kid at VP I never experienced a last-gasp winner like that - they will never forget it!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2020, 11:26:17 AM »
So pleased for the lad's a big three points and just what we needed.

Offline MattW

« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2020, 11:27:48 AM »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2020, 11:30:42 AM »
Just seen elsewhere this is apparently the first season since the mid 90s where we've scored injury time winners in at least two league games.

That's a good knack for any emerging club to have, fighting to the end and not just content with the point like we have been so often in the past.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2020, 11:36:29 AM »

UTV
The Doc

Link?

Yes, please share

https://twitter.com/_joshavfc2000/status/1219904985510662144?s=19

That's brilliant! Even if it hurts to see McGinniesta still on crutches :(

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2020, 11:37:34 AM »

UTV
The Doc

Link?

Yes, please share

https://twitter.com/_joshavfc2000/status/1219904985510662144?s=19

That's brilliant! Even if it hurts to see McGinniesta still on crutches :(

So he won't be playing Tuesday night then.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2020, 11:41:59 AM »
Just seen elsewhere this is apparently the first season since the mid 90s where we've scored injury time winners in at least two league games.

That's a good knack for any emerging club to have, fighting to the end and not just content with the point like we have been so often in the past.

BBC Stats has that as well as it being our first win from being behind at the break. Remember though all stats are only for Prem League though.

Rare Villa Premier League fightback - the stats
  • Aston Villa ended their three-game losing streak against Watford in the Premier League, with this win their first victory against the Hornets in the competition since January 2007 (2-0).
  • Villa have won a Premier League game having been behind at half-time for the first time since September 2013 (3-2 versus Manchester City), ending a run of 51 games without a victory in the competition when trailing at the break.
  • Villa have scored two 90th-minute winners in a single Premier League season (Matt Targett v Brighton in October and Tyrone Mings here) for the first time since 1994-95.
  • Villa have scored in nine consecutive home Premier League games for the first time since May 2007-March 2008 (a run of 16).
    Watford's Troy Deeney has scored more Premier League goals against Aston Villa (six in four games) than he has against any other side in the competition.
  • Douglas Luiz's equaliser for Aston Villa was his third Premier League goal of the season and first since October 2019 against Norwich.
    Aston Villa goalkeeper Pepe Reina has conceded as many goals in his last two Premier League appearances at Villa Park (2) as he did in his first seven with Liverpool (also two)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal