collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 05:50:51 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by DB
[Today at 05:50:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 05:49:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:49:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 05:48:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:48:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 05:46:33 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:45:46 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Run IN  (Read 24287 times)

Online RamboandBruno

Re: The Run IN
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2020, 05:22:36 PM »
If McGinn can just be the McGinn we know and love, Grealish can forget the dip in form before lockdown and nakamba can show the energy and tenacity that he showed in some games, like Liverpool and Watford at home and not turn in headless chicken performances like in many other games, then we have a chance in the first game.

I would like smith to try Samatta and Davies up top and use Guilbert and Targett as wing backs with 3 cbs. We used a half hearted version of this at the turn of the year with still one up top with Grealish behind and a winger still in the team. I like El Ghazi to an extent but for remainder of the season would use him as an impact sub or to change formation if needed. Trezeguets cut inside and loss of the ball when a simple pass was on, in last minute of cup final, summed up his season for me. He’s not currently good enough with ball or decision making and I would only use him sparingly for remainder of season. He may get better next season.

I hope all this happens but as Dean has literally never gone with two strikers, I can see a continuation of one striker with a hope of better form and a McGinn.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:24:42 PM by RamboandBruno »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
                 Steer
Guilbert Konsa Mings  Targett
               Nakamba
  Grealish   McGinn  Luiz
        Samatta  Davis

Never gonna happen but going two up top gives us more chance of scoring. Push the full backs on and go gung ho.  Best chance of winning because we can't defend for shit.

Everything else has failed so why not. I like that line up. I'd just swap Jack to the middle and SJM to the right. Both our fullbacks require some decent protection and I don't want to see Jack back defending.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »
                 Steer
Guilbert Konsa Mings  Targett
               Nakamba
   McGinn     Luiz   Grealish
        Samatta  Davis

Never gonna happen but going two up top gives us more chance of scoring. Push the full backs on and go gung ho.  Best chance of winning because we can't defend for shit.

Everything else has failed so why not. I like that line up. I'd just swap Jack to the middle and SJM to the right. Both our fullbacks require some decent protection and I don't want to see Jack back defending.

I swapped it to move Jack to the left as I think Luiz would be better in the centre.  We have to go for it.  We have proven to the world that we are crap defensively, I think our only option is to take the game to the oppo and hope for the best.  Like I say, I think Dean will stick to his trusted 4-3-3 and we will revert to type, although God, I hope not.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2020, 10:15:08 PM »
I'd bring in Hause and go with 3 cbs. As limited as he is he's o.k in the air and Sheffield have scored a few headed goals v us in recent seasons. Their long diagonals to full backs also a feature of their play.

Would keep Luiz on the bench. Whatever the score we'll need to bring on a couple of players who can keep the tempo up around 70th minute due to the long lay off so think him and AEG are the best bets for that. Luiz had some good games off the bench in January.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2020, 12:54:13 AM »
Following on from the leicester match 4-0 defeat and that set up and line up well I would have Guilbert and Luiz out and have McGinn and El Ghazi or Davis in.
Those 2 are always the first to drop in form minute match becomes a struggle as does El Ghazi. So give Davis a go .

I don't trust Luiz- he's only half interested as much as he's very gifted definitely have super John in for him.

I rather have Hourihane stay in team for this initial match alongside McGinn and Nakamba. As he knows the patterns of play far better and maybe I would also switch Elmo back to right back for Guilbert.

Reina
Elmo
Engels
Mings
Targett
Nakamba
McGinn
Hourihane
Grealish
El Ghazi/Davis
Samatta

Though I suspect Dean Smith will have  Hourihane benched rather than Doug for McGinn and Guilbert will play and get booked.
In these matches you can count on Hourihane and McGinn to provide goal threats. We don't know what we get with Dougie too inconsistent . How much is he committed? I do like his play , think he's a class act at times with the football but, his winning attitude could be found wanting against a Sheff United midfield. Last thing we need is a midfielder going hiding.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 01:02:19 AM by Vill I An »

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2020, 03:58:20 AM »
I wouldn’t have Reina in goal. I’d go with Nyland or Steer, probably Nyland. Presume you left out Guilbert for Elmo because of Guilbert’s yellows? I’d probably start with Guilbert and swap him for Elmo later on. I’d probably switch Connor for Doug against Sheff Utd.

Offline villabear

« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2020, 07:31:30 AM »
Paul Doyle from The Guardian has us staying up. I’m agreeing with him, I think.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/08/premier-league-restart-preview-aston-villa

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
I'd rather have Hourihane in the mix than 2 up front.  He provides excellent goal threat and I just think our midfield will get over run with two up top.  Call it 4-5-1 or 4-3-3

I'd like to get Jack more central, but I just don't think our wide players are good enough.  But Hourihane switches well with him anyway.  Or you could potentially switch ElGhazi to the left with McGinn on the right to free up Jack.

Nyland
        Guilbert Engels Mings Targett
El Ghazi McGinn Nakamba Hourihane Grealish
                      Samatta

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »
I also agree that that is our best starting 11, ChrisW. Possibly more of a 4141 though, with Nakamba sitting deeper and Jack and Connor regularly switching places especially when Jack receives the ball out wide then cuts inside.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2020, 02:36:06 PM »
Paul Doyle from The Guardian has us staying up. I’m agreeing with him, I think.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/08/premier-league-restart-preview-aston-villa

A positive assessment there from Paul Doyle. My main concern from this season so far is the sloppy (and often unforced) errors we make all over the pitch. We are often uncomfortable in possession and treat the ball like a hot potato.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2020, 05:44:30 PM »
If it is going to be close please can it be that us and Wet Spam need a draw on the last day? We play out a desperately dull 0-0 bore draw that sends Watford down and their tinpot fans hate us for all eternity. Thanks.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2020, 01:35:50 AM »
I guess that's why we read stuff on here and Paul Doyle writes for a global news outlet, footy!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2020, 10:51:25 AM »
I listened to Talksport this morning for the first time in quite a while. Our legendary former manager 'Tactics Tim' thinks we will struggle to stay up.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2020, 11:24:29 AM »
I listened to Talksport this morning for the first time in quite a while. Our legendary former manager 'Tactics Tim' thinks we will struggle to stay up.
It's hardly great insight, but not particulalrly controversial either - I imagine most people think we'll struggle to stay up.

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2020, 11:36:16 AM »
We'll continue to struggle if we don't change things up a bit. Hopefully the return of McGinn will help our lack of legs in midfield, but we still have 2 full backs who can't defend, a lack of height and physicality and an inability to retain the ball up front. So I'd go 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 with one of Konsa or Hause at full back. Either way Davis up front to hold the ball up and Samatta playing as near to him as possible. We were dead and buried in March, but now there's hope with the right selections and a more ruthless approach. The amount of stupid points we've squandered is what's put is in this position. We've also got a few players that seem to prefer the warm weather so hopefully they can make an impact from our extended bench!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal