collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mbwana Samatta. Sold. Puns still banned.  (Read 122943 times)

richtheholtender

Re: Mbwana Samatta. Sold. Puns still banned.
« Reply #930 on: October 03, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »
Did he leave on loan or permanent? If it is a loan is there an obligation to buy?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #931 on: October 04, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »
Was Smith asked about his departure at all in the recent press conferences?

Its always the inane "How important has this good start been? How impressive is the Ross Barkley signing?"... How about you fuck off if you're not going to ask me something with a bit of thought behind it?

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #932 on: October 04, 2020, 10:11:53 AM »
Asking Smiffy about Barkley is surely a pertinent question to ask?

I’m not sure how profound of a question should be asked, world peace, the flu thingy going round?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #933 on: October 04, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »
He wasn’t asked about Samatta.  Except last week he mentioned something about the offer coming in, him not being guaranteed first team football and ‘reluctantly’ agreeing to leave.  Considering we are light up front I’m still surprised he’s been let go.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #934 on: October 04, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
Jolly nice of the defender, who wasn't really making him to start with, jumping out the way.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #935 on: October 04, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »
Striker thay couldnt do it in the Premier League goes to a crap League and starts scoring?

Kodjia Mark II, Nothing to see here.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #936 on: February 01, 2021, 05:38:12 PM »
Did he leave on loan or permanent? If it is a loan is there an obligation to buy?

i was wondering the same...

he left on a season's loan, with an obligation to buy at £5.5m, potentially rising to £6.2m.

and fenerbahce are currently top of the table and samatta has been starting as the sole striker, since he returned from injury a few weeks ago.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #937 on: June 02, 2021, 06:17:55 PM »
Was wondering about our wandering Mbwana. These are the two most recent news reports brought up by Google. The first from today suggests that he will be returning from a loan move at Fenerbache but he's worried how he'll be received after his fellow-Tanzanians threw shade our way after we "gave-up" on him. The other report from a couple of weeks back suggests a sale was factored in with his loan and so he is no longer a Villa player, despite Fenerbache seemingly wanting shot of him.  Things seem a bit unclear. Anyone know what the craic is?

Goal.com:
The 28-year-old Taifa Stars captain is not sure of his return to Villa Park after what happened when he was loaned out to the Turkish giants
Tanzania striker Mbwana Samatta has claimed he is not sure of the reception he will receive at Premier League side Aston Villa after completing his loan spell with Fenerbahce.

The 28-year-old forward was loaned out to the Turkish Super Lig side having joined the Villans for £8.5million from Belgian top-flight side Genk, however, he failed to make the desired impact in England, scoring just twice in 16 appearances.

The decision by Villa to loan out the player was not received well back home in Tanzania where the fans reacted angrily by criticising the move which saw the Premier League outfit lose over 30k followers on Instagram in the first 24 hours after the loan deal was confirmed.

Immediately after the transfer was announced, Tanzanians descended on the Villa Instagram page to unfollow it, with most of them saying they are now heading to Turkey with “our son.”

Following the incident, Samatta has stated he is not sure what kind of reception he will get at Villa Park when he returns for pre-season.

In a question and answer session as covered by JAYM-Sport, the Taifa Stars captain explained when asked about his return to Villa: “After leaving Villa many Tanzanians talked too much hate about the team and for that reason, I don’t know when I go back how they will receive me.

“I don’t know if they [Aston Villa] will welcome me with open hearts or they will chase me away but I don’t think I will be able to stay because a lot of Tanzanians talked too much hate when I was loaned out and I now don’t know if they will be happy to see me return, or they will hate me.”

Samatta joined Villa on January 20, 2020, after signing a four-and-half-year contract to become the first Tanzanian to play in the Premier League and also the 117th different nationality to play in the competition.

The transfer fee paid to Genk was reported as £8.5 million and he went on to make his debut for the club eight days later in Villa's 2–1 EFL Cup semi-final second-leg win over Leicester City, a result which sealed the club's place in the final of the competition.

On February 1, 2020, Samatta scored on his league debut for Aston Villa, in a 2–1 defeat to Bournemouth, and this made him the first player from Tanzania to play, and subsequently score in the Premier League.

The arrival of Ollie Watkins and Burkina Faso international Bertrand Traore meant Samatta was surplus to requirements in Dean Smith’s squad, hence, he was loaned to the Turkish Super Lig outfit.

Brum Mail:
Mbwana Ally Samatta is yet to become a permanent Fenerbahce player, but the Aston Villa striker is already being linked with a move away from the Turkish club.

Samatta, an £8.5million arrival at Villa Park from Belgian club Genk in January 2020, joined Fenerbahce on an initial season-long loan towards the end of the summer transfer window.

He hit the ground running, netting twice on his full debut in the 2-1 Super Lig win over Fatih Karagümrük in early October.

But the Tanzania forward has added only three more goals in 24 league appearances since then and has lost his place in the starting XI.

Samatta’s stay at Fenerbahce will be made permanent at the end of the season for £5.4million with the 28-year-old having already agreed a four-year contract.

It was reported in the Turkish press earlier this year that the Istanbul club were already considering their options for the 28-year-old ahead of the summer window unless his form improved in the final weeks of the campaign.

But he has failed to nail down a starting spot and Voetbal Nieuws in Belgium reports a return to Genk is on the cards.

Samatta netted 75 times for the club across a four-year spell, including 20 goals to help fire them to the Belgian title in the 2018/19 season.

According to the report, Samatta is ‘paid far too much’ for Genk to finance both a transfer fee and his wages, with a loan move being lined up.

Samatta scored twice in 16 appearances for Villa, grabbing a goal in the 2-1 Carabao Cup final defeat to Manchester City in March last year having scored on his Premier League debut against Bournemouth the previous month.

He said in a recent interview: “It was certainly not my wish to leave the club (Villa) already, I had only been there for six months and I started developing friendships there.

“I trained more to be ready for the competition, but the club had a different plan.

"I no longer fit into the coach’s plans. I would only get a few chances to play. An attacker only wants to stay if he is the coach’s top priority, so I had to leave.”

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #938 on: June 02, 2021, 06:31:22 PM »
The only player to score for us in a cup final in the last ten years.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #939 on: June 02, 2021, 06:51:48 PM »
A future quiz question that will stump Villa-heads never mind fans of other clubs.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #940 on: June 02, 2021, 07:55:06 PM »
Was he really that bad, considering how terrible we were at the time.

The social media stuff from African supporters is quite frankly ridiculous. Every Avfc match day post on Facebook, seems to get totally hijacked by Marvelous fanatics. He's a decent player, but they make out he's like Maradona.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #941 on: June 02, 2021, 09:24:19 PM »
His future (or lack of) will have nowt to do with the Tanzanian social media misfits.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #942 on: June 02, 2021, 09:25:13 PM »
I thought we'd got shot of him.

Nothing like good enough.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #943 on: June 02, 2021, 09:29:18 PM »
We have. He's sighing for Fenerbahce on 1st July.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #944 on: June 02, 2021, 09:33:41 PM »
‘Sigh’

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal