collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:18:29 PM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:17:17 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 05:16:37 PM]

Re: FFP by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:15:13 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 05:14:02 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Clampy
[Today at 05:13:27 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 05:10:29 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:10:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Aston Villa Manager  (Read 56031 times)

Online Demitri_C

Re: Next Aston Villa Manager
« Reply #450 on: January 12, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »
I actually think farke is a better manager than smith. They didnt spend much and have injuries yet i think if farke had the money smith did norwich would doing a lot better than what we are.

Smith is failing bad i dont see what the point in keeping him here. He has been a utter failure this season

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #451 on: January 12, 2020, 10:19:40 PM »
I heard today that Big Sam is joining the Royal Family as a temporary replacement for Prince Harry until they can secure a permanent / long term replacement.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #452 on: January 12, 2020, 11:05:55 PM »
Half of this £100m was on Mings, Heaton and Wesley. One class act, other two fucking injured. That leaves £50m which, in reality, is fucking peanuts when you are in the market we are. We’ve took a punt on a few Suso gambles all of which look bang average to me (Nakamba, Luiz, Trezeguet) and mixed that with a couple of Smith signings (Engels, Konsa) who are too raw. If you ask me, it’s Suso that’s the fucking turkey in all this. Now he’s gone and got fucking Pepe Reina

Smith went out to watch Trezeguet with Suso.

I suspect he went and watched them all. I’m having our sporting director or whatever title he has as a fucking idiot. I read an article about his time at Valencia, wish I could find it

It was always going to be tough, we needed a lot of bodies and it’s wasn't going to be financially feasible to buy 10x PL players so we naturally looked to the European leagues for talent. It’s always a risk if they will settle quickly enough.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #453 on: January 12, 2020, 11:15:10 PM »
Half of this £100m was on Mings, Heaton and Wesley. One class act, other two fucking injured. That leaves £50m which, in reality, is fucking peanuts when you are in the market we are. We’ve took a punt on a few Suso gambles all of which look bang average to me (Nakamba, Luiz, Trezeguet) and mixed that with a couple of Smith signings (Engels, Konsa) who are too raw. If you ask me, it’s Suso that’s the fucking turkey in all this. Now he’s gone and got fucking Pepe Reina

I suspect he went and watched them all. I’m having our sporting director or whatever title he has as a fucking idiot. I read an article about his time at Valencia, wish I could find it

It was always going to be tough, we needed a lot of bodies and it’s wasn't going to be financially feasible to buy 10x PL players so we naturally looked to the European leagues for talent. It’s always a risk if they will settle quickly enough.

Why did we rule out loans? An experienced head or two - loans - would have maybe been worth a point or two to us. Especially at the start of the season when we were playing well but incapable of closing out the game.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #454 on: January 12, 2020, 11:16:39 PM »
Overconfidence in our plans for ‘the project’ I’d guess.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #455 on: January 12, 2020, 11:34:42 PM »

In his time as sporting director of Valencia they reached the Champions league final and became Spain's third best team. In his time as sporting director of Athletico Madrid they reached the Champions league final and became Spain's third best team. If you want to knock him for his time at Villa fine, but you can't knock his time in Spain.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #456 on: January 12, 2020, 11:41:39 PM »
I blame Suso far more than i blame Smith.

I blame them all (with the benefit of hindsight) for not using loans in the summer, thus allowing us to spend more on first choice targets like Philips, Webster and Benrahma.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #457 on: January 12, 2020, 11:42:40 PM »
When he picks the correct players our defence is decent, any defence no matter how good can stand a midfield that can't or won't tackle (Hourihane) just as an example, and a forward line without a centre forward. What stood out for me was how easily our players were brushed off the ball and were always two paces behind. The one consolation is that we were playing an exceptional footballing side that's been at the top of their game for many years, its not the likes of Man City that will determine whether we get relegated.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #458 on: January 12, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »
We need someone to keep us up, simple no nonsense football, Watford have managed to do it but they have good quality in their squad

I think giving smith the Four year contract was a huge mistake,this makes me think they will be sticking with him regardless.

I'd say bring someone in to keep us up and then start again , i said before Allardyce on a short term deal,keeps us up gets a big bonus and everyone is happy and then we go from there

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #459 on: January 13, 2020, 12:20:48 AM »
Why did we rule out loans? An experienced head or two - loans - would have maybe been worth a point or two to us. Especially at the start of the season when we were playing well but incapable of closing out the game.

The problem with Loans is that you're kicking the problem down the road. That's ok sometimes but when the task at hand is to make a functional squad from a large number of signings and a fairly fractured existing squad it's not necessarily all that helpful. I think they decided to try to rough it out and built a team spirit via adversity but the injuries and falls in form of a few keys players means we're behind where they wanted and we're looking to add some more experience to help push us over the line so we can go again in the summer.

I don't know what impact a change of manager would have on getting the squad where we want it to be by the summer though so I guess it's about finding a balance between the short term need to avoid relegation and the long term goals of growing the squad as a unit.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #460 on: January 13, 2020, 07:23:46 AM »
I dont believe for one second smith doesnt chpose the players. He knew about konsa at brentford. Smith even said they have a whataspp group betwen the three of them.

Smith is just as much to blame as suso is. I think we need someone like mancini in. A european coach who has pl experince

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #461 on: January 13, 2020, 07:36:37 AM »
I'd take anyone wo can coach the basics. i thought Smith and Co could do that, but they make Bruce look like Pep.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #462 on: January 13, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
I'd take anyone wo can coach the basics. i thought Smith and Co could do that, but they make Bruce look like Pep.

Smith cant setup a defence to save his life.absolute shambles defensively.

Needs to drop konsa play hause at lb with engels and mings at cb with guilbert back at rb

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #463 on: January 13, 2020, 08:06:43 AM »
You've got to ask what is John Terry doing? You'd expect he'd sort that defence out but I guess Smith has the final say

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #464 on: January 13, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »
Little rumour floating around VP yesterday is that Dean and JT not exactly getting 'on' at the moment

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal