collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:43:13 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 09:41:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Aston Villa Manager  (Read 55924 times)

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
Re: Next Aston Villa Manager
« Reply #315 on: December 29, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »
For me this isn't a time for style or a fancy name we need a Sam Allardyce type on a short contract until the end of the season. Keeps us up one final big pay day, leaves the game on a high and then we get a new 'head coach' in

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #316 on: December 29, 2019, 03:21:07 PM »
Didn’t he also keep Sunderland up when they were seemingly dead and buried?

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #317 on: December 29, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »
in the past we have gone from managers who have different styles so they have to bring in a whole bunch of players to suit their style

I thought the whole reason for the behind the scenes team was to put a consistent football style down no matter who the manager was
that style was the football Smith started off playing,
if he’s changed surely we go for someone with those principles but just better at producing it rather than starting all over again with a different method and new players to fit

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #318 on: December 29, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »
Didn’t he also keep Sunderland up when they were seemingly dead and buried?

Yup , he left for the England job after they stayed up and was replaced with Moyes who took them down.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #319 on: December 29, 2019, 03:26:28 PM »
For me this isn't a time for style or a fancy name we need a Sam Allardyce type on a short contract until the end of the season. Keeps us up one final big pay day, leaves the game on a high and then we get a new 'head coach' in

I don't think any of us would sacrifice PL safety for "style".  The question is, would Allerdyce be able to hit the ground running and provide a quick fix?  Personally, I don't think he would.

Offline pipe

« Reply #320 on: December 29, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
England Manager caught taking bungs and saying how to work the system. Have we really sunk that that low?

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #321 on: December 29, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »

I don't think any of us would sacrifice PL safety for "style".  The question is, would Allerdyce be able to hit the ground running and provide a quick fix?  Personally, I don't think he would.

He has a pretty decent record.  we need a short term fix and then start over again , retaining our best players with PL status

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #322 on: December 29, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »

He has a pretty decent record.  we need a short term fix and then start over again , retaining our best players with PL status

All 4 of our best players.
The rest can go to The Championship where quite honestly they'd still struggle.

Offline ez

« Reply #323 on: December 29, 2019, 03:42:26 PM »

Looking at it another way. What would our fellow strugglers prefer us to to do. Stick with Smith or get Allardyce in? I reckon they would say stick with Smith all day long.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:45:21 PM by ez »

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »
I don't believe the owners are even contemplating a new manager.   I think they have confidence - rightly or wrongly - that they have the right man for the job already, hence the new contract he has just been awarded.  And I would therefore think they have the funds lined up to spend on new players needed to keep us in this league.  Whether it will work is a different matter, but I'd be happier to see us to do things this way than another.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #325 on: December 29, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »

All 4 of our best players.
The rest can go to The Championship where quite honestly they'd still struggle.

I think the players are more than capable, we wasn't winning games before this dreadful run but we were competing , we took it to the big boys and were never embarrassed .That has all changed because of poor tactics

We have a solid spine to the team, new manager,new ideas and get a striker in and we might just stay up. I think the owners have a big decision to make and it needs to happen ASAP 

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #326 on: December 29, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »

Looking at it another way. What would our fellow strugglers prefer us to to do. Stick with Smith or get Allardyce in? I reckon they would say stick with Smith all day long.

They'd prefer us to stick with Smith than replace him with most other managers to be fair, not just because it's Allerdyce.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #327 on: December 29, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
England Manager caught taking bungs and saying how to work the system. Have we really sunk that that low?

I don’t think he was found guilty of anything other than having a big mouth

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #328 on: December 29, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »
I don't believe the owners are even contemplating a new manager.   I think they have confidence - rightly or wrongly - that they have the right man for the job already, hence the new contract he has just been awarded.  And I would therefore think they have the funds lined up to spend on new players needed to keep us in this league.  Whether it will work is a different matter, but I'd be happier to see us to do things this way than another.
I agree, it is unlikely Smith will be going anywhere: the club appears to want stability and continuity; hence the recent 4 year deal. We're 2-3 points off safety and the plan is - I think - to get through the first season and then buy progressively better players to start competing more effectively.

That said, we're not doing the basics right - (i) play with some passion and commitment, (ii) defend better and with greater awareness of what's going on around each player, and (iii) move the ball more quickly and accurately - and so the best acquisition would be a new coach with deep Premier League experience, to work with Smith.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #329 on: December 29, 2019, 05:08:52 PM »
Posted in the dean our thread also.
He’s been backed and won’t be going anywhere yet. 3/4 new players in jan with extra backing. Players been called into training today (was a day off). Response needed v Burnley now

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal