collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Let’s Look At The Positives.  (Read 8382 times)

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
Re: Let’s Look At The Positives.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
Wesley was crap. At one point he did manage to beat a player somehow, then ran into the area and passed it tamely to a Norwich player.  Then his one contribution late in the second half was a shit shot/pass at the Norwick keeper's near post, with no other Villa player anywhere near him.  His lack of effort in the last 20 minutes  was a complete disgrace. It's not just an H&V thing, people sat around us were screaming for him to be taken off.

I think last 10 mins he was knackered, I don't think it was lack of effort. That was the time to sub him. For lack of effort generally see AEG,Trezeguet and Targett.
Totally agree.  He worked hard today and was just knackered at the end.  He was the one berrating his team mates for not closing down.  Aeg, trez, target and Douglas were infinitely poorer than him today. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
He didn't have a single shot all game, against Norwich, at home.  He's woefully inadequate.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 02:51:38 AM »
Trying to be positive so whats happened to our future stars out on loan are any of them improving, some of them must surely be in their mid twenties now.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 06:40:02 AM »
Half way through the season and 18 points. Have a slightly better second half of the season and we could be looking at around 40 points.

Need to get some cohesion back in to the play. A couple of astute loan signings could make all the difference.

People go on about spending a lot of money in the summer but that's when you compare it being spent on an established squad. Much of the money had to be spent just on filling places in the squad. Some of the players have clearly not combined well with others and some will take time.

Offline levico

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 10:48:53 AM »
Arguably its valid under this thread to mention the plight of Sunderland.

Yesterday they scraped a 0-0 draw at home to Bolton in front of 33,000 spectators.
They now sit in the bottom half of League 1.

This could have been us.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 01:16:28 PM »
I did look at Sunderland during the week and think the same. Think we have Steve Bruce to thank for arresting the slide during that first season in the Championship.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »
For those who like stats. (Those who don't just ignore)

Villa are 5th for most chances created .
And
3rd at home after Man City and Chelsea

Villa are 5th for most crosses in league overall
Man city , Everton , Liverpool , Sheff Utd
(5th at home,9th away)

Dean Smith side in premier league are 6th for most shots on target only behind man city , man utd , Liverpool Chelsea Leicester
Aston villa are 7th  for Overall average of 13 shots per game.
Only Man city , Chelsea , Liverpool , Man Utd , Leicester , Everton have had  more shots at goal than

Villa this season  247 shots.
103 shots from outside the box
The 4th most in the league ( only man utd ,man city and Chelsea had more)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »
We're 18th.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 01:38:54 PM »
We're 18th.

Finally. An easily digestible and understandable stat. Thanks, Legion!

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
In Dean Smith . We have a manager who wants to progress and develop.
He loves the club.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »
One positive is that all we have to do is finish 17th.  We don't have to be scintillating, we don't have to score hatfuls of goals, we don't have to finish miles ahead of the bottom 3, and there are enough games left (just about) where we can expect to pick up points.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2019, 02:35:45 PM »
This is the positive thread.

If you want to point our reasons to be negative there are lots of other threads to do that in.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »
He didn't have a single shot all game, against Norwich, at home.  He's woefully inadequate.

How many chances did our wonderful midfield create?  And our two wide forwards?  I agree he's been far from great but I don't think he's as bad as some make out either.  It seems you decided long ago he's beyond redemption.  Where others can see mitigating circumstances, effort, and some nice touches, you can't.  Or is it won't?  As someone else said earlier int he season we were creating a lot of chances and Wesley's goal return in the first 10-12 games wasn't that bad, somewhere between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3, without setting the world on fire.  Since the midfield has become a basket case and now creates very few opportunities it's hardly surprising he's not looking much like scoring.  I've seen him make a fair few runs off the shoulder of the last defender, similar to the one that led to the goal against Everton, and the man on the ball has either not seen it, seen it too late,  or chosen not to play him in.   

For me Trezeguet and to an extent AEG are far bigger problems up front than Wesley.   

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »

How many chances did our wonderful midfield create?  And our two wide forwards?  I agree he's been far from great but I don't think he's as bad as some make out either.  It seems you decided long ago he's beyond redemption.  Where others can see mitigating circumstances, effort, and some nice touches, you can't.  Or is it won't?  As someone else said earlier int he season we were creating a lot of chances and Wesley's goal return in the first 10-12 games wasn't that bad, somewhere between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3, without setting the world on fire.  Since the midfield has become a basket case and now creates very few opportunities it's hardly surprising he's not looking much like scoring.  I've seen him make a fair few runs off the shoulder of the last defender, similar to the one that led to the goal against Everton, and the man on the ball has either not seen it, seen it too late,  or chosen not to play him in.   

For me Trezeguet and to an extent AEG are far bigger problems up front than Wesley.

Well said and whilst I’m no Wesley fanboy he’s less of a problem than El Ghazi and Trezeguet who have been utterly woeful all season.

And to keep this on topic, we’ve a lot of players who’ve either struggled to settle or struggled with the step up. However it’s now been nearly 6 months and the time for these excuses is lessening with time so let’s hope they all start to up their game.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
Arguably its valid under this thread to mention the plight of Sunderland.

Yesterday they scraped a 0-0 draw at home to Bolton in front of 33,000 spectators.
They now sit in the bottom half of League 1.

This could have been us.

Absolutely. Both Sunderland and Villa stank the Premier League out for two or three seasons and then eventually went down. Both clubs then struggled to some extent in the Championship, in Sunderland's case all the way down to league One where they are currently fifteenth. Our first season in the Championship when we finished 13th was disappointing at the time but looking back it was a solid season whilst we steadied the ship and learnt how to win a reasonable amount of games for the fist time in a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal