collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Owners  (Read 16903 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: The Owners
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2019, 04:34:12 PM »
I don't nose. All I know is somebody has just given themselves away with their last post. UTV!!

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
We will see come the end of the season

Watford with a very good Deeney and a solid manager will stay in this league, they're far too good to go down
Not pissed no, I don't drink
This is just bollocks. May be you should take up drink?
Can we lock this thread please?

I might have a tipple on Boxing day if we beat Norwich

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2019, 05:10:26 PM »
We will see come the end of the season

Watford with a very good Deeney and a solid manager will stay in this league, they're far too good to go down
Not pissed no, I don't drink
This is just bollocks. May be you should take up drink?
Can we lock this thread please?

I might have a tipple on Boxing day if we beat Norwich

Even though you don't drink?

Offline CT

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »
I don't nose. All I know is somebody has just given themselves away with their last post. UTV!!

Come on Abbey, anyone can be a big fan of Steve Bruce, and have huge appreciation for Troy Deeney. I'm off to the Tait gallery.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »

Come on Abbey, anyone can be a big fan of Steve Bruce, and have huge appreciation for Troy Deeney. I'm off to the Tait gallery.
KRO

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2019, 05:35:33 PM »
They've done well so far but then getting us promoted was the "easier" part of the brief.

Much more difficult to keep on making the right decisions when the aim is to establish us back in the premier league and eventually have us challenging top 6 as Wolves are doing every year now.

It can be done but turbulance will be encountered along the way.

Lerner and co became completely clueless when they had to do big decisions like replacing managers and inevitably got the decisions mostly wrong. There was other stuff going on of course but get the right manager and the rest falls into place for a few years.

Big month ahead. Looking forward to actually see what we do. Things look bleak atm but it was only 3 weeks ago we were 4-5 points clear of the bottom 3 so still a long way to go.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
I'm a nose for having an opinion on a manager and a player 🙄

Offline CT

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2019, 05:40:51 PM »
I'm a nose for having an opinion on a manager and a player 🙄

Your post was about the owners and their seriousness.

I'm not sure how you managed through the Lerner years. Do you remember what Tom Fox used to call us?

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 06:54:31 PM »
Not sure if anyone has heard this but CP is of the opinion that promotion last season placed us ahead of the "overall plan"
Ie they  were not expecting promotion -  I assume this why they went with Smith rather than someone with some/more experience of managing successfully in the top division - I find it hard to comprehend they may be willing  take a step backwards (relegation) and regroup - starting all over .
Lest we forget the club was facing extinction just months ago with the new owners stabilising the finances - if they are prepared to accept relegation and keep Smith I am Sure two or three of our better players will be sold ,probably in the summer -  I am struggling to come to some understanding as to why Smith was recently given a new contract - the timing seems odd. I fear there will be more upheaval in the coming months especially if Smith is retained and fails to change results on the pitch - the biggest shame is that the euphoria generated by promotion will be dissipate and the fan base become disgruntled ......we , the fans think we are a "big club" - it's time for the owners to prove this and make some kind of statement e.g. appoint a coach/manager who can cope with the immense pressures of keeping a team in the Premier League - as much as we want Smith to succeed it's just not working out - shame but there is no room for sentiment 

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 07:00:08 PM »
No way are these owners contemplating accepting relegation.
They may not be able to stop it though.
 they will make a decision to either back-or sack the manager.
Anything other than a win on Boxing Day and Smith is toast.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2019, 07:00:12 PM »
Yes, if we were to be relegated then we'd effectively be a year behind Purslow's overall plan.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2019, 07:22:18 PM »
Not sure if anyone has heard this but CP is of the opinion that promotion last season placed us ahead of the "overall plan"
Ie they  were not expecting promotion -  I assume this why they went with Smith rather than someone with some/more experience of managing successfully in the top division - I find it hard to comprehend they may be willing  take a step backwards (relegation) and regroup - starting all over .
Lest we forget the club was facing extinction just months ago with the new owners stabilising the finances - if they are prepared to accept relegation and keep Smith I am Sure two or three of our better players will be sold ,probably in the summer -  I am struggling to come to some understanding as to why Smith was recently given a new contract - the timing seems odd. I fear there will be more upheaval in the coming months especially if Smith is retained and fails to change results on the pitch - the biggest shame is that the euphoria generated by promotion will be dissipate and the fan base become disgruntled ......we , the fans think we are a "big club" - it's time for the owners to prove this and make some kind of statement e.g. appoint a coach/manager who can cope with the immense pressures of keeping a team in the Premier League - as much as we want Smith to succeed it's just not working out - shame but there is no room for sentiment 

As you're probably aware I don't always agree with your posts Clive but think you're spot on with that post.

Next two games will tell us if Dean has it in him right now to keep us in the league. If they go badly I think it's going to have to be a "you're fired" with losts of regret.

Lots on here like taking sly digs at Wolves but ultimately this is a club backing what they're saying they want to do. Couple of duff managerial appoinments e.g. appointing Paul Lambert and then they went out and got a reasonably proven top level one in Nuno. Got 4-5 top quality players throughout their side. Before Spurs game they were two points off 4th and comfortably in knock outs of europa so not far off where we were at this stage of 08/09 season.

If they can do it surely we can get there in 2/3 seasons with smart and brave decisions. If that means letting Dean go so be it. It might be good for his managerial career in the long run and he'll always remain a bit of a mini legend for getting us back up whatever happens in the next week.

Offline Dougs Socks

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »

Well i kinda of agree with the OP :o

If Smith is not replaced with Poch by January 31st and not backed by bringing in Messi, Ronaldo and Bale, then im done with these tight fisted chump owners of ours.

Luckily, some of our fans were not about in 1976, when we almost got relegated after coming up. Saunders had his critics, but was allowed to put in place the bricks that landed us our greatest triumph.  :-[

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2019, 07:35:51 PM »
Which has nothing to do with our present situation

Offline Dougs Socks

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2019, 07:57:58 PM »
Which has nothing to do with our present situation

Patience Grasshopper 8)

Im still confident we will stay up and progress from there. Yes, its a mess at the moment, and i do think its going to be squeaky bum time to the end of the season, but i fear sacking Smith now would be suicidal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal