collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 20857 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »
Went yesterday and was thoroughly deflated by the whole experience.

1. We have some utter bellends as fans.
2. Smith needs to get a grip of his tactical approach, it’s quite patently been worked out by most teams and he refuses to change it even when having to chase the game. His biggest difficulty is the two front wide players are absolutely critical in making the system work and El Ghazi and Trezeguet for different reasons are just not good enough to make it work. With Grealish it just limits his effectiveness and he ends up being peripheral.
3. The players yesterday just weren’t at it physically or mentally. All the defeats have taken their toll, there was a lack of tracking back, appalling ball retention and willingness to pass and move.

All in all we look like a newly promoted team who’ve run out of ideas and have been worked out.

Have to agree with you, but would also add McGinn's drop in form is a main factor, why we are being dominated in midfield.

Regards the fans, are you talking about a handful or quite a sizeable number and in what way are they bellends?

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »
We really were piss poor today. We're missing amongst other things an in-form McGinn and a decent centre forward. I thought Hause did ok and Grealish tried his best to get us going (totally wasted out wide by the way) but it all looked too predictable at times and it wasn't good enough.

I hope to God that JM gets the 'Super' back quicksticks. I appreciate that many players inevitably go in & out of form and don't shine if they're being played out of their preferred position, so I hope the aforementioned' explain his alarming drop in form. I guess there's always the possibility that his head's been turned by a clandestine approach from another club looking to splash the cash in January, but I'd like to think he's far more professional than that. I guess we'll have to wait & see how things pan out...

I think it’s simpler, he’s playing fast, tiring 90 minute matches twice a week constantly.

Top point - well made. It's difficult to see a way of managing the situation that doesn't involve resting him, especially as we're so reliant on him; and we don't have anybody of a similar ilk to provide effective cover. Perhaps it's time DS tweaked his system in order to get the best out of players who could come in & 'do a job'?!

Offline john2710

« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
To put in some perspective, we went to Old Trafford 2 weeks ago & should have come away with more than 1 point. We also gave Liverpool a game for 80mins. Last week we were taught a lesson.

Generally our away performances haven't been good enough & yesterday was another example. We are not physically strong enough. The team isn't built to dig in & grind out results.

There are issues with some of Smith's selections,  tactics & lack of alternatives. But dramatic changes in management & tactics won't deliver a better outcome. Many of this squad are simply not good enough or not good enough yet? One or two key additions will help enormously.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #198 on: December 15, 2019, 02:05:31 PM »
There were a few instances yesterday when we had possession and there was not a single player running off the ball to make a pass possible.

I noticed the same when we had a throw-in. Nobody wanted the ball, it was almost comical how the players managed to disappear.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
There were a few instances yesterday when we had possession and there was not a single player running off the ball to make a pass possible.

I noticed the same when we had a throw-in. Nobody wanted the ball, it was almost comical how the players managed to disappear.

what about Nakamba on a few occasions under limited pressure just booting the ball back to Sheff Utd. Just did not want the ball and he was far from the only one. Confidence is on the floor and there is all kinds of responsibility shirking going on.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2019, 02:21:43 PM »
Well yesterday the full backs were being forced right back by Sheffield’s and didn’t offer any support forward, whether this was from lack of confidence, courage, experience, instruction or fitness I don’t know. This meant there wasn’t the ball on for Nakamba so he just booted it.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #201 on: December 15, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »
The 2nd goal started with Hause down in the left back area with the ball with no outball , he ended up just lumping it down the line , they got ball and scored with their next attack ..

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2019, 03:00:54 PM »
All in all we look like a newly promoted team who’ve run out of ideas and have been worked out.
I agree on "have been worked out" and ineffectiveness of McGinn and our wide players  is clear evidence of that.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
Our best midfield is Grealish in the centre
Mcginn, Luiz then Nakamba/Hourihane depending on how dominant the opposition midfield is on paper

no point fucking about with anyone else

play your best ball players in their best positions every week and let them develop together
same with the back 4 when they are all fit

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal