collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 20885 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »
If we lose the next three I can't see anything other than a new manager.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2019, 08:37:43 AM »
I'm growing tired of this.
Like McGinn, I'm giving it a miss on Tuesday night. Hopefully the rest will do us both good.
I may not even watch it on telly.
Falling out of love with Dean Smith I think
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:39:26 AM by in exile »

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2019, 09:06:58 AM »
The next four games will tell the story, pick up eight points we will be okay pick up four we are in big trouble.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
I agree that a couple of wins change everything but I’m feeling pessimistic. Aside from the results the last few games have shown worrying signs as we head into these must win fixtures. Tactical issues from smith, players looking ragged, lack of bottle.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
The next four games will tell the story, pick up eight points we will be okay pick up four we are in big trouble.
Need some space between us and our upcoming opponents. After how wasteful we've been this season, losing or drawing from winning positions, we need NINE points from the next 3 league matches. Any other outcome and he needs his marching orders.
I'd feel a bit more patient with him if you could see organisation, effort and a little improvement over the course of the season so far, but we're not. We're going backwards - And fast!

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »
He’s not going to stop the rot by merrily carrying on as if it will magically turn around on it’s own. I think our record shows we are not good enough to play this open, expansive 4-3-3 formation as better teams are just picking us off.

He needs to evolve and adapt or we need to find someone else. We need to be back to an average of a point a game by the turn of the year as a minimum.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »
I've stopped watching the other football highlights when we lose, that's not a good sign.
The problem with the next 3 league games is that there is now enormous pressure to get results therefore making the games more difficult. The key from the Leicester game was the response and there wasn't one.
I'm trying to look for positives, particularly where the managers position is concerned but I'm very gloomy at the moment. Football always has the ability to surprise. Here's hoping....

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2019, 10:28:17 AM »
Went yesterday and was thoroughly deflated by the whole experience.

1. We have some utter bellends as fans.
2. Smith needs to get a grip of his tactical approach, it’s quite patently been worked out by most teams and he refuses to change it even when having to chase the game. His biggest difficulty is the two front wide players are absolutely critical in making the system work and El Ghazi and Trezeguet for different reasons are just not good enough to make it work. With Grealish it just limits his effectiveness and he ends up being peripheral.
3. The players yesterday just weren’t at it physically or mentally. All the defeats have taken their toll, there was a lack of tracking back, appalling ball retention and willingness to pass and move.

All in all we look like a newly promoted team who’ve run out of ideas and have been worked out.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »
There were a few instances yesterday when we had possession and there was not a single player running off the ball to make a pass possible. It really was a performance lacking in pretty much everything needed to even have a sniff of a result.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
Went yesterday and was thoroughly deflated by the whole experience.

1. We have some utter bellends as fans.
2. Smith needs to get a grip of his tactical approach, it’s quite patently been worked out by most teams and he refuses to change it even when having to chase the game. His biggest difficulty is the two front wide players are absolutely critical in making the system work and El Ghazi and Trezeguet for different reasons are just not good enough to make it work. With Grealish it just limits his effectiveness and he ends up being peripheral.
3. The players yesterday just weren’t at it physically or mentally. All the defeats have taken their toll, there was a lack of tracking back, appalling ball retention and willingness to pass and move.

All in all we look like a newly promoted team who’ve run out of ideas and have been worked out.

Your observations make for depressing reading. Apart from the inevitable continued bellend contingent, DS needs to learn lessons - and learn 'em fast: otherwise he will go the way of so many others who couldn't deal with the inherent expectations that are part & parcel of being the manager of Aston Villa. I sincerely hope he manages to turn this around asap. 

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2019, 11:59:11 AM »
You simply couldn't make it up, we go into the the Christmas period of 3 games between 21st and 28th, a little over a week, we play the 3 teams below us, this is without doubt the defining moment in the season for Villa and Smith, normal circumstances would say 9 points, that's what we should go for, this is the moment we can either get back on track or spiral into the abyss, very interesting matches coming up. 

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2019, 12:07:21 PM »
Supporting the Villa is a bit like having kids. Somedays they make you so happy and proud and somedays they drive you to despair and you could tear your hair out but you still end up loving the sods everyday.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »
We really were piss poor today. We're missing amongst other things an in-form McGinn and a decent centre forward. I thought Hause did ok and Grealish tried his best to get us going (totally wasted out wide by the way) but it all looked too predictable at times and it wasn't good enough.

I hope to God that JM gets the 'Super' back quicksticks. I appreciate that many players inevitably go in & out of form and don't shine if they're being played out of their preferred position, so I hope the aforementioned' explain his alarming drop in form. I guess there's always the possibility that his head's been turned by a clandestine approach from another club looking to splash the cash in January, but I'd like to think he's far more professional than that. I guess we'll have to wait & see how things pan out...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:11:12 PM by auntiesledd »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2019, 12:12:12 PM »
We really were piss poor today. We're missing amongst other things an in-form McGinn and a decent centre forward. I thought Hause did ok and Grealish tried his best to get us going (totally wasted out wide by the way) but it all looked too predictable at times and it wasn't good enough.

I hope to God that JM gets the 'Super' back quicksticks. I appreciate that many players inevitably go in & out of form and don't shine if they're being played out of their preferred position, so I hope the aforementioned' explain his alarming drop in form. I guess there's always the possibility that his head's been turned by a clandestine approach from another club looking to splash the cash in January, but I'd like to think he's far more professional than that. I guess we'll have to wait & see how things pan out...

I think it’s simpler, he’s playing fast, tiring 90 minute matches twice a week constantly.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2019, 12:35:17 PM »
Someone said elsewhere on here that he's having injections before games and if that's true, he should be left out for a little bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal