collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 7539 times)

Offline Ian J

• GM : 10.09.2020
Re: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »
The next few games are critical, we need to show some fight.

The fans need to play our part and generate an atmosphere at Villa Park like the Everton game.

We were overloaded time & again on our LHS. Everyone knows how Sheffield play & Smith did nothing to counter it. There were quite a few candidates for worst performer but Marvellous was dreadful!

The key word is 'fight' which we simply don't have. Rolled over by a bang average team today.

Who are fifth in the league.
They are now, having trousered three points without much worry.

And your point is?
Maybe at this time better than the other 15 teams below them.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »
The next few games are critical, we need to show some fight.

The fans need to play our part and generate an atmosphere at Villa Park like the Everton game.

We were overloaded time & again on our LHS. Everyone knows how Sheffield play & Smith did nothing to counter it. There were quite a few candidates for worst performer but Marvellous was dreadful!

The key word is 'fight' which we simply don't have. Rolled over by a bang average team today.

Who are fifth in the league.
They are now, having trousered three points without much worry.

And your point is?
My point is them being fifth (now) has nothing to do with how bad we were.  It just comes off like an excuse.  If we play that badly again, teams stand a chance of beating us wherever they might be in the table.  I recall you saying before the Leicester game that you could see no reason why we couldn't beat them and they were 2nd at the time (I think I'm right in saying).

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »
We coud have beaten them, we could have beaten Leicester. But they're fifth in the table so they're a bit more than average.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2019, 09:50:45 PM »
For the last half a dozen games or so, as well as rooting Jack out on the left, McGinn seems to be have been told to stick to the right.
What coach plays his best 2 players out of position consistently. They should be the heartbeat of that midfield, not gathering dust out wide?!

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
We coud have beaten them, we could have beaten Leicester. But they're fifth in the table so they're a bit more than average.
I didn't say they are average.  They're where they are because they have a solid squad, an effective manager and a system that works well for them.  Not easy to go there and win.  But it shouldn't be beyond us to go up there and play well.  They don't have any intrinsic superiority over us.  It's not the result, it's the performance, which showed no improvement at all from the week before and much of the same inertia from the manager.  Sooner or later we are going to have to start winning tougher fixtures against teams further up the table because I think it's dangerous to assume we'll pick up maximum points from all our more 'winnable' games.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »
I think a lot of concern is about how we are playing. That looked a very lackluster performance with no pattern, system or strategy evident.
It’s particularly evident when you look at how Leicester and United went about their work in comparison.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2019, 09:59:38 PM »
Being a Villa fan is not enough of a qualification to be our manager.  Looks like a bad move.

Wise words, Brian. It’s sad but true. The owners need to show us what they’re made of.

Its opinions however I find these views horrifying.
Dean Smith may well become one of the greatest Villa bosses we ever have .
Just stick with the programme chaps.

Come this time next week.
On the back of 2 solid wins Tuesday and Saturday then are you still having this view.
Come a win boxing day v Norwich will Smith nous be questionned.

I respecting the view , I really am however I ask to maybe hold steady with such a strong statement when we have a major week ahead of us.
Say even then a loss in cup and a loss to put Villa in relegation zone I think it's rather hard on Smith to be tarnished however the argument can be stronger than right at this moment.
I only sticking up here for Smith because I want to challenge  the statements such as above become the norm and starts getting roundly  backed as being ' wise '

Hopefully and with respect we can get a bit of perspective on here.
To suggest Dean Smith is a bad move , for me , cannot be further from how I see it.
I hope I'm not alone but grant the frustration , and acknowledge those who see Smith as not up to premier league level.
I think he s perfect fit.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 10:01:12 PM by Vill I An »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2019, 10:01:32 PM »
I didn't say they are average. 

The person Dave was replying to did.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2019, 10:03:09 PM »
I'm normally ultra patient. Along with Chris Smith I was one of the few who didn't call or DOL's head but even I'm starting to doubt.

Please let's see how this week goes.
2 wins Tuesday and Saturday win and this time next week H and V and following the villa will have a completely different outlook and mindset

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2019, 10:04:09 PM »
I didn't say they are average. 

The person Dave was replying to did.
Apologies.  I thought he was replying to me.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2019, 10:05:29 PM »
Absolutely fucking horrible 7 days. Leicester, Election and today. I am going to go and hide in a dark hole till next Saturday.😥😡

Feel that pain.
But maybe just maybe we have to take the rough before the smooth.
This next week could be something great .
Potentially villa could have 2 big wins.
And Sweet Caroline is back in our hearts and minds.
Up the villa.
Stay strong

Offline Richie

« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
This might not be popular, but I seriously wouldn’t play a single player in the Liverpool game who we need to be fit and as sharp as possible for the next 3 league games. Lose a couple of them and I struggle to see us digging ourselves out of the bottom 3.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2019, 10:09:20 PM »
I lost count at the amount of times undroppable McGinn squandered possession.

Is Dean Smith going to ride this 4-3-3 formation till the wheels fall off because the wheels are falling off.
John McGinn
Total Passesl:37
Successful:30
% Successful:81

Smith knows exactly what he's doing with his 4-3-3. But today was a hard task. Our attacking prowess was compromised.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2019, 10:11:14 PM »
This might not be popular, but I seriously wouldn’t play a single player in the Liverpool game who we need to be fit and as sharp as possible for the next 3 league games. Lose a couple of them and I struggle to see us digging ourselves out of the bottom 3.

So play the same side as today then?

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »

1/4 odds on To beat Liverpool.
Implied probability is 80%

Villa will be playing Liverpool reserves /under 23 team and every chance of a comfortable victory

I'm in favour of playing a mix of players.
Its a win whatever team turns out for me.