collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 20852 times)

Offline jwarry

Re: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2019, 05:40:49 PM »
The sad thing is I think they were there for the taking. If we approached that game like we did Norwich we would have turned them over. I don’t think it’s only the players who have lost some confidence, I think Dean has as well

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2019, 05:41:03 PM »
Being a Villa fan is not enough of a qualification to be our manager.  Looks like a bad move.

Looked a terrible move in May didn't it.

You mean before we'd actually played any Premier League games?  But now it's Christmas.

As we were promoted I don't see how there's even a debate about the appointment, if we'd appointed someone else we'd probably still be in the Championship with no Jack and we could be top or we could be midtable and shite.

The debate is whether he's good enough to keep us up and take us forward.

That surely must have been part of the discussion when he was first appointed though and if not absolutely must have been before they gave him a new contract.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »
The only time selling a player like Jack is the right decision is if it saves the club, as looked a likely scenario last summer.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »
Around this time last year I posted something along the lines of 'we ought to cash in on Grealish and work out a proper system of play that doesn't require him'. I was obviously talking bollocks then, but I'm starting to think the same thing again.

It's mad, and counter-productive, to be so reliant on one player.

I'd rather keep him and buy players that are closer to his standard. He's also being played out of position by a manager who increasingly looks like he's lost the plot.

Yes, if the owners are as minted as we hear then we don't need to sell him.  What we need are more Grealishes.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »
I don't think it's coincidence that we look crap now McGinn looks crap. We badly miss his energy and persistence. While I think we really need a new striker in January, we could probably also do with another dynamic box to box midfielder to give us some fresh impetus too.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2019, 05:43:53 PM »
Around this time last year I posted something along the lines of 'we ought to cash in on Grealish and work out a proper system of play that doesn't require him'. I was obviously talking bollocks then, but I'm starting to think the same thing again.

It's mad, and counter-productive, to be so reliant on one player.

I'd rather keep him and buy players that are closer to his standard. He's also being played out of position by a manager who increasingly looks like he's lost the plot.

Yes, if the owners are as minted as we hear then we don't need to sell him.  What we need are more Grealishes.

Well there is that, yes.

I had considered that it was possible that I was talking bollocks again!

Offline jwarry

« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »

“We didn’t manage the ball well enough, and we should do with the players that we have. It was a game of few chances and it was littered with fouls. They deserved to win.”

Suspect they had another bollocking

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2019, 05:47:10 PM »
I'm still 100% behind Smith.  I think he's an intelligent bloke and will turn it round.  But I think he's been a streaky manager at times and it looks like we're on one of our bad streaks.  I'm hopeful we'll put a run together soon.

Signing Wesley over Maupay was fucking stupid, but I suspect that was not Smiths call.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2019, 05:48:29 PM »
To paraphrase  Sir Graham " I'm not being wise after the event " as I thought this during the summer, but our recruitment did worry me, to buy so many players who haven't played in this league, let alone this country was very risky. A couple of shrewd January loanees could easily settle the ship. But apart from Jack, we seem to have no players playing in form or with confidence.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2019, 05:49:15 PM »
The window might just come at the right time for us.
We desperately need a striker.
Desperately.

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »
Awful, got exactly what we deserved. First time this season i've been really fucked off with the result and performance. Massive few games coming up now, if we don't step it up then we are in trouble.

Same as this. Wasn't expecting us to walk it but expected a performance.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »
Once again we concede just after half time. What the fuck are they doing, drinking tequila at the interval?

We need more leaders and fighters in the team. Players that lift us and that the opposition hate playing against. We were a sullen and defeated team in the last 20 minutes against Leicester and it seems like a further lack of bite today.

I wonder if he will play a weakened team against Liverpool ( easy for me to ask as I can’t make it) to give the players some rest. My nightmare is a proper team losing to their kids.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2019, 05:55:28 PM »
I'm normally ultra patient. Along with Chris Smith I was one of the few who didn't call or DOL's head but even I'm starting to doubt.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »
The new contract to me is immaterial. We don’t know what clauses or conditions are in there. He absolutely deserved a better deal than the one he was on. He earned every penny of that increase in his compensation. But as generous as the club were in doing that Dean Smith will be under no illusions that it’s a piece of paper. That the moment the club feel he no longer is the manager to protect our PL position he’ll be gone. He’ll get paid out under the terms agreed in the deal and we will get someone else in. The next 10 games and transfer window will either see him cement his place as Villa Manager or not.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
PWS I am not saying it was a bad move appointing Smith.  What I am saying is that increasingly it COULD look like a poor move.  If you can take exception to that you can take exception to anything.  I am not putting forward my staunch 75 years on the Holte as proof of the veracity of my opinions only as justification that I offer views in good faith.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal