collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ron Saunders RIP  (Read 37130 times)

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
Re: Ron Saunders RIP
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »
I am stunned that no one else seems to be bothered that the pre match tribute was so half arsed. We managed a better pre match tribute to Bobby Robson!
I have been at many pre match applause h
Where fans have started applauding during the announcement but I haven’t see one before where they’ve decided that this counts as the applauses and just got ready to kick off right after the announcer finished saying ‘will start and end on the referees whistle’.

I agree, thought it was poorly executed by the officials but well applauded by all in the ground

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »
I understand Amfy's point. They did balls up the minute for Ron. I don't think it was deliberate just Villa players hearing a whistle and thinking it was the end of the minute's applause rather than the start.

Let's just celebrate all the amazing minutes he was alive rather than the minute today after he had passed away. RIP Ron.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2019, 07:30:07 PM »
I am stunned that no one else seems to be bothered that the pre match tribute was so half arsed. We managed a better pre match tribute to Bobby Robson!
Where fans have started applauding during the announcement but I haven’t see one before where they’ve decided that this counts as the applauses and just got ready to kick off right after the announcer finished saying ‘will start and end on the referees whistle’.

That's not at all what I experienced. Everyone including the Leicester supporters to their credit carried on clapping until the ball was in play and shortly after.

Of all the things to criticize today.

If I wanted to criticise anything else I’d do it on the post match thread. As it is - the worst pre-match tribute to anyone I have ever seen, to the greatest Villa manager in living memory deserves to be criticised.
Personally I found it really upsetting that we could balls this up.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »

That's not at all what I experienced. Everyone including the Leicester supporters to their credit carried on clapping until the ball was in play and shortly after.

If I wanted to criticise anything else I’d do it on the post match thread. As it is - the worst pre-match tribute to anyone I have ever seen, to the greatest Villa manager in living memory deserves to be criticised.

Have to agree Amfy, it wasn't great at all. I expected the applause to get cranked up once the ref blew the whistle, but then the teams broke away and that was it!

To hear (and I can't confirm the facts of this) that John Terry sat through the whole thing talking would make me very unhappy. I hope it's just a nasty rumour.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #199 on: December 08, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »
To many fans, Saunders was the best manager we’ve ever had. I can’t help but think that we owed him a lot more than a few flags on bean sticks and a cocked up minutes applause, which takes some doing.

Poor show, Villa.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2019, 07:37:47 PM »

I think it's harsh. We only found out a day ago that he had passed. Yes he's our greatest ever, and we printed massive flags and a banner in his honour, the players wore black armbands, we had a minute's applause at kickoff and another in the 80th minute which went off without a hitch, did the players drop the ball at the start, yes, but the announcer is only human and everyone was arranging this at late notice.

I'm sure we will, as another poster has suggested we should, have a more permanent memorial to him in future.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
I’m not having the short notice point, sorry. He’d been terminally ill for years, so it was a matter of time and we should have been ready.

I am the first one to scoff at clubs marking minor events with displays such as mosaics and the like, but imagine if Liverpool had lost Shankley or Forest lost Clough this week. They wouldn’t be down B&Q looking for sticks.

Some things we just don’t get right.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #202 on: December 08, 2019, 07:47:47 PM »
You may not want to have it but it's a valid point unless you expect the club to pre-ordered stuff.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2019, 07:52:03 PM »
Surely we'll give a more proper tribute at the Norwich game given he managed both clubs and there's probably some Norwich players who played for him that are still alive that could be invited to the game, special programme being produced which is one thing the club certainly couldn't at short notice and also interview some of the 82 boys on the pitch before the game to relive some memories.

When Gary Speed died Newcastle United had a home game straight after when they had the standard Minute's silence/applause and then two weeks later their home game v Swansea was designated as the official tribute match

Again Holte End holding up placards/banner saying Don't bet against us would be brilliant sight, another thing the club couldn't do at short notice.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2019, 07:59:45 PM »
Surely we'll give a more proper tribute at the Norwich game given he managed both clubs and there's probably some Norwich players who played for him that are still alive that could be invited to the game, special programme being produced which is one thing the club certainly couldn't at short notice and also interview some of the 82 boys on the pitch before the game to relive some memories.

When Gary Speed died Newcastle United had a home game straight after when they had the standard Minute's silence/applause and then two weeks later their home game v Swansea was designated as the official tribute match

Again Holte End holding up placards/banner saying Don't bet against us would be brilliant sight, another thing the club couldn't do at short notice.

Agreed.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »

To hear (and I can't confirm the facts of this) that John Terry sat through the whole thing talking would make me very unhappy. I hope it's just a nasty rumour.

That's what it looked like on the television, in fact the whole Villa bench and coaching staff looked totally disengaged from any tribute that may (or as it looked may not) have been taking place.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »

That's what it looked like on the television, in fact the whole Villa bench and coaching staff looked totally disengaged from any tribute that may (or as it looked may not) have been taking place.

Pretty stunned by all that if true. You always see the bench stood up and applauding or silent for other tributes/rememberence day.

I wasn't at the game though but could hear what Russ Morris was saying loud and clear on WM so don't really understand it.

Have to say Holte End signing "HEITS" at the start had me welling up a little.

Online luke95

« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »

That's how I seen it too . It looked as though they had no idea of what was going on

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2019, 08:16:18 PM »
Difficult one, club had little opportunity to make arrangements and it all seemed a little chaotic, but is that surprising?

There was a round of applause right around the ground for a very long time

I’m absolutely convinced that a more considered tribute will be forthcoming with a little more planning.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2019, 08:26:05 PM »

Everyone of them were chatting whilst applauding. Dean Smith too.

Disrespectful twats all of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal