collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Purslow on Talksport  (Read 13111 times)

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
Re: Purslow on Talksport
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2021, 08:30:46 AM »
I imagine that not including him would have sent the signal to the rest of football that we were expecting big money for him and their prices would have increased accordingly. It looks like we refused to sanction the deal until we had Danny Ings safely in the fold.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:32:38 AM by Scratchins »

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2021, 08:30:52 AM »
Yes there probably was a concern about season ticket sales if he had gone earlier so there  was a certain amount of cynicism  in that move but equally they couldn't  use Ings and Bailey so I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2021, 08:37:07 AM »
One thing I don't get is if they knew he was off from the end of the season, why was he the main person featured in the marketing of season tickets, etc.? This seems out of order.

We didn't know he was off.  Purslow expressly mentions interest from clubs earlier in the summer who did not match the valuation in the release clause, and were therefore rejected.  Until Man City offered £100m just over a week ago, he was staying.  That's not to say that Jack hadn't decided to leave if he could, or still wanted to go, but that doesn't happen without a £100m offer, which hadn't materialised at that point.

I thought it was a great video - and regardless of how many fans on here want to call him Ratboy from here on in, I think we did well with the 'thanks for the memories' videos, not least because there are plenty of fans who ARE grateful for those memories. Also, as tribal an issue as it is, pretending the last five years of Grealish at Villa didn't happen doesn't do us ANY favours except make us feel better for a little while. 

Imagine the youth players who are Villa fans seeing Grealish ignored or denigrated by the club?  I want them all 100% committed to the club, and safe in the belief THIS is where they want to be long term - not thinking "Well, if they can turn on Jack, they'll turn on me in a heartbeat".

Offline sid1964

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »
I suppose the question is if we had known in May that Jack wanted to leave if right club / offer came in for him , how many would not have renewed their season tickets?

Personally I love this club and would have renewed my season ticket

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2021, 09:04:02 AM »
I dont think we knew in may. I think we knew most clubs couldnt afford 100m only city.

I know alot of people wanted more than 100m but for me 100m with his injury record is a excellent deal for us. Also lets not forget thats 125k week wages off the wage bill so we have more money to save and burn if needed

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
Replacing Jack with three players is a master stroke from Purslow

How he managed to persuade the Premier League chiefs for us to field 13 men next season is just sheer genius

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2021, 09:18:59 AM »
One thing I don't get is if they knew he was off from the end of the season, why was he the main person featured in the marketing of season tickets, etc.? This seems out of order.

We didn't know he was off.  Purslow expressly mentions interest from clubs earlier in the summer who did not match the valuation in the release clause, and were therefore rejected.  Until Man City offered £100m just over a week ago, he was staying.  That's not to say that Jack hadn't decided to leave if he could, or still wanted to go, but that doesn't happen without a £100m offer, which hadn't materialised at that point.

I thought it was a great video - and regardless of how many fans on here want to call him Ratboy from here on in, I think we did well with the 'thanks for the memories' videos, not least because there are plenty of fans who ARE grateful for those memories. Also, as tribal an issue as it is, pretending the last five years of Grealish at Villa didn't happen doesn't do us ANY favours except make us feel better for a little while. 

Imagine the youth players who are Villa fans seeing Grealish ignored or denigrated by the club?  I want them all 100% committed to the club, and safe in the belief THIS is where they want to be long term - not thinking "Well, if they can turn on Jack, they'll turn on me in a heartbeat".

I think the youth players should concentrate on being half as good as Jack. I doubt they will be worried about the repercussions of moving on in the future

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2021, 09:19:05 AM »

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2021, 10:07:37 AM »

I think the youth players should concentrate on being half as good as Jack. I doubt they will be worried about the repercussions of moving on in the future

I disagree, in the world of professional sport, where a 1% improvement in performance can be the difference between trophies or not, I think it's vitally important that we consider the players who remain here when decided how we publicly handle Jack leaving.  We want them feeling like Jack made the wrong long-term decision to leave this club, this family, not thinking of the club like an emotionless corporate entity that couldn't wash its hands quick enough of someone once they were no longer useful to them.

It's not about the "repercussions of leaving" in the future, it's about getting them to buy into Villa as a club that values them and their efforts when wearing the shirt.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 10:09:23 AM by Smithy »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »
It's not about the "repercussions of leaving" in the future, it's about getting them to buy into Villa as a club that values them and their efforts when wearing the shirt.
[/quote]

That and being in Europe, paying them the going rate, winning stuff. 

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »
So many false dawns but I am beginning to wonder if the villa lion is awaking from its slumber.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2021, 05:14:00 PM »
we're being ran properly - I love the owners, the manager and the CEO - Purslow knows what he is doing.

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2021, 06:12:54 PM »
You are right the lion is starting to waken up and is ready to take on anyone who wishes to have ago

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »
You are right the lion is starting to waken up and is ready to take on anyone who wishes to have ago

Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number–
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you–
Ye are many — they are few.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2021, 06:54:01 PM »

Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number–
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you–
Ye are many — they are few.
Thats a great twist (context wise) on an emotive poem. There’s something in the way we as a club have been run this last 3 years that I feel makes us different to the scab 6 and with the potential to challenge the status quo. UTV

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal