collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464715 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2775 on: January 17, 2020, 10:37:39 PM »
Pearson will fall out with someone soon, they will go back through a bad patch.

Offered me Slimani, NZonzi, Samata, Drinkwater and Reina before the window I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Not having the main deals done for these 2 games seems a massive mistake though.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2776 on: January 17, 2020, 10:40:02 PM »
I didn’t think we were after nzonzi ? Smith said only forwards

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2777 on: January 17, 2020, 10:40:13 PM »
I agree Jim.  I know these things take time but they are games we should be putting out the strongest possible teams for and we have no natural striker. We hamstring ourselves.  I'm sure the owners are well impressed.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #2778 on: January 17, 2020, 10:41:20 PM »

If this is true, we are truly fucked, because our midfield is piss weak and incapable of defending our defenders. 

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2779 on: January 17, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »

So would I if I were Smith. If we have a chance of getting a big hard holding midfielder, I would bet Smith wants him.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2780 on: January 17, 2020, 10:51:51 PM »
The mismanagement of the striker situation is truly pathetic, a thing of the type I thought we might finally have left behind.

I know nobody can predict injuries, but a blind man on a galloping horse could have spotted the risk in our pathetic striker line up at the start of the season.

Meanwhile yet another match with no fucking striker, and one signed, but he needs a work permit and hasn't kicked a ball in this country before.

Abject squad management.

Our problem is we keep pushing back the point at which we think circumstances will allow us to expect to win a game, further and further, and eventually it is going to become irretrievable.

Even if we scrape survival this season there are a number of people at the club who want sacking for getting us in this pathetic mess.

Yes it’s bloody poor. How a Premier League side ends up playing 3 games where they can’t field a recognised striker is utterly bewildering. Really poor.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2781 on: January 17, 2020, 10:52:50 PM »
Not beating Watford will just put more pressure in the run in. Bournemouth is a must three points regardless imo.

If we can't win either then we'll need to beat Spurs so we'll see if the team and manager will actually show some bottle and belief in games against a "top" team that has been sadly lacking in too many v those opponents this season.

With the fixtures West Ham and Burnley have up to end of Feb there's still a decent chance we can be above both going into March by winning a couple of games so all is far from lost still.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2782 on: January 17, 2020, 10:56:12 PM »

If this is true, we are truly fucked, because our midfield is piss weak and incapable of defending our defenders. 

Guess Dean will say we simply have enough there for the moment. Luiz, Nakamba (even if both are very poor currently atm perhaps they'll pick up in the run in) Drinkwater of course who'll continue to play to justify the loan and if we actually sign some attacking players Jack will be moved back centrally. Hourihane will also start likes of Bournemouth and Newcastle as ultimately he's decisive in those six pointers.

I agree an N'zonzi type would make us a better presence but seems that's been a weakness centrally for years.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2783 on: January 17, 2020, 10:56:20 PM »
Pearson will fall out with someone soon, they will go back through a bad patch.

Offered me Slimani, NZonzi, Samata, Drinkwater and Reina before the window I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Not having the main deals done for these 2 games seems a massive mistake though.

Brendan Rodgers has today said he doesn't think Slimani will be moving anywhere in the transfer window as "He is due to stay at Monaco for the season and things are a little bit complicated".

Offline Steve67

« Reply #2784 on: January 17, 2020, 11:14:05 PM »
Turning into another fuck up, this transfer window.  We wanted players with premier division experience and then go out and sign a keeper who hasn't played for two years and a central midfielder, who also has hardly played for two years.  Oh, and then we buy a striker who doesn't know this league.  I hope Ally turns out to be excellent but, what a fucking gamble this is.  On paper, Reina and Drinkwater have both played at the top of the league, but that was eons ago.  We really needed some quality and we are gambling with the clubs immediate future.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2785 on: January 17, 2020, 11:32:44 PM »
The mistake was in the summer. I think criticism in January, while they're trying to bolt the door is off the mark.

We're in the bottom half, who is likely to sell to us, when anybody 8th and below is in competition with us to stay up?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:42:56 AM by Ads »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2786 on: January 17, 2020, 11:55:06 PM »
Smith stating there was a loaded owners premium on Maupay. Brentford kept upping the price for us.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2787 on: January 18, 2020, 07:00:51 AM »
We've handled recruitment appallingly - not just now but in the summer. There is seemingly no reason why Samatta couldn't have been bought on January 1st - come to that, July 1st 2019. Inept and puts our survival on the line.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2788 on: January 18, 2020, 07:20:09 AM »
If it's such a piece of cake to bring players in, why is the window a month long, and not just a couple of hours instead?

Offline KRS

« Reply #2789 on: January 18, 2020, 07:30:51 AM »
Not strengthening midfield will be equally as incompetent and negligent as allowing the striker situation to develop. With SJM out injured and with the exception of Jack, we simply don’t have enough quality in midfield to protect the defence or create chances for the striker...how many times has it been said that despite all his faults, Wes literally had no service from midfield. Luiz and Marv are piss poor signings, Lansbury is next to useless and Hourihane only really offers anything in flashes or from set pieces.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal