collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464376 times)

Offline Rudy65

Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1035 on: January 02, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
Bowen has scored 51 goals in 117 appearances which is a great strike rate for a winger in a generally mid table team. Great age at 24 as well. He has got to be an upgrade on our current two wingers. Wiki says he failed a trial with us as a youngster!

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1036 on: January 02, 2020, 12:09:23 PM »
Signing a new keeper isn't necessary.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1037 on: January 02, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
Signing a new keeper isn't necessary.

I agree. But only on the condition that we don't release Kalinic until at least one of Steer or Heaton is back.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1038 on: January 02, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »
Doesn't this apply to most of our youngsters we loan them out for experience but they never seem to improve  enough to come back.

The either sink or swim. Most of ours are the former with Jack being the exception. As I recall Jack got plenty of games time with Notts County whereas a lot of the other players don’t seem to get game time due to injuries or attitude etc.

Jack got plenty of game time because he was good enough to not only play for, but to stand out in, Notts County's first team - even as a teenager.  Sometimes the youngsters we send out on loan simply aren't good enough to make it at the top level, and they can even struggle at a level or two below - such is the gap at youth/u21 level vs full professionals.

Sometimes players do great on loan, and then don't push on with us.  Remember Luke Moore's loan at Wycombe? I'm sure he scored a hat-trick and a couple of others despite only being with them a few weeks before coming back and straight into our first-team. Started well, then faded, unfortunately.

The reality is, it's pretty rare for clubs to nurture players all the way through the youth set-up and to have them make a sustained impact in the first-team.  We are incredibly lucky to have Jack doing just that right now. As we were with Gabby, Darius and Barry before him. I can't think of many premier league sides that have more than one or two entirely home-grown players in their elevens each week? Chelsea have had it forced on them this season, obviously, but not sure who else?

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1039 on: January 02, 2020, 12:27:38 PM »
I'm not sure we can claim that Barry is a home grown player. Wasn't he 17 or 18 when we poached him from Brighton?

Offline supertom

« Reply #1040 on: January 02, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »
Doesn't this apply to most of our youngsters we loan them out for experience but they never seem to improve  enough to come back.

The either sink or swim. Most of ours are the former with Jack being the exception. As I recall Jack got plenty of games time with Notts County whereas a lot of the other players don’t seem to get game time due to injuries or attitude etc.

Jack got plenty of game time because he was good enough to not only play for, but to stand out in, Notts County's first team - even as a teenager.  Sometimes the youngsters we send out on loan simply aren't good enough to make it at the top level, and they can even struggle at a level or two below - such is the gap at youth/u21 level vs full professionals.

Sometimes players do great on loan, and then don't push on with us.  Remember Luke Moore's loan at Wycombe? I'm sure he scored a hat-trick and a couple of others despite only being with them a few weeks before coming back and straight into our first-team. Started well, then faded, unfortunately.

The reality is, it's pretty rare for clubs to nurture players all the way through the youth set-up and to have them make a sustained impact in the first-team.  We are incredibly lucky to have Jack doing just that right now. As we were with Gabby, Darius and Barry before him. I can't think of many premier league sides that have more than one or two entirely home-grown players in their elevens each week? Chelsea have had it forced on them this season, obviously, but not sure who else?
I think in the case of RHM and Green, injuries have blighted their development. It's been similar with Keinan, although he's generally (when fit) been in our first time more than we may have expected in comparison to the other two. But then Gabby was deemed to have less natural ability than the Moores and we know how their respective careers turned out.
I have no idea if something at BH is contributing to our kids picking up injuries or if it's simply misfortunate, but some have really been unlucky. It always seems to happen at key times too.
I'm hoping, in the case of Davis in particular, that he can come back and just have a good spell clear of injuries. There's a player there. 18-22 is such a key age and if a player ends up out for half a season it can have a huge effect on their development. I hope Green in particular can recover from it. He looked potentially great at 18.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1041 on: January 02, 2020, 01:11:24 PM »
I agree. But only on the condition that we don't release Kalinic until at least one of Steer or Heaton is back.
Yep, fair enough.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1042 on: January 02, 2020, 02:47:28 PM »
Batshuayi news heating up..

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1043 on: January 02, 2020, 02:51:43 PM »
I think we'll have to wait until Moussa Dembele moves to Chelsea. At least they're not wasting time, they've already put a €40m offer in though it has been knocked back.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1044 on: January 02, 2020, 03:08:05 PM »
Batshuayi would be fantastic. He lacks consistency but fiercly talented.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #1045 on: January 02, 2020, 03:22:44 PM »
Batshuayi is a very similar player to tammy from what i have seen. He is strong big and can score. Think that might be one of the reasons chelsea would let him go.

Get him on loan with option to buy in summer.  He did very well at palace last year.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1046 on: January 02, 2020, 03:24:03 PM »
Batshuayi is a very similar player to tammy from what i have seen. He is strong big and can score. Think that might be one of the reasons chelsea would let him go.

Get him on loan with option to buy in summer.  He did very well at palace last year.

Do we really want to sign a player with a surname that difficult to spell correctly? Some of our fans had enough trouble with Kozak. 

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1047 on: January 02, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »
Batshuayi news heating up..

Someone's already changed his current club to Villa on Wiki

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1048 on: January 02, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »

Do we really want to sign a player with a surname that difficult to spell correctly? Some of our fans had enough trouble with Kozak.

Who loves ya baby?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1049 on: January 02, 2020, 03:52:51 PM »
I'm not sure we can claim that Barry is a home grown player. Wasn't he 17 or 18 when we poached him from Brighton?

16. Made his Villa debut at 17 and a couple of months.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal