collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464871 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1020 on: January 02, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »
There are not many clubs with a full international Keeper as 4th choice (and Croatia are a good level team). So can't see us buying another one unless one or even two are sold.

Nyland looks much better this season, and any keeper would have struggled behind the shambolic defence and powder puff midfield he was confronted with. Ditto Kalinic who may look better in this team than he did previously (although he does seem to have been written off by the club).

I do think we will sign at least one forward. Smith can save face over Wesley now he is injured and get someone to take his place in the team. Wesley may eventually come good but is clearly not good enough to be our main striker this season.

Have seen enough to think Nakamba could be a good player, but some experience and grit in Midfield would be handy too.

Biggest letdown this season though has been the two wingers. El Ghazi can be unplayable or rubbish and is young so too soon to write him off. However neither him nor Trezeguet have done enough to show they should be regular starters yet. So would not be surprised to see another winger come in.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1021 on: January 02, 2020, 11:25:41 AM »
I think Nyland deserves a chance, he's looked very decent in his last few games.  And if he has a good few months we may turn a profit if we sell him in the summer.

With Kalinic and Steer on the books and so much work needed elsewhere in the squad I just can't see us spending money on a keeper.

I'm also amazed we're after a centre half, 5 should really be enough.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1022 on: January 02, 2020, 11:36:38 AM »
We could also swop Kalinic with one of the keepers of the club he'll be joining.

Obviously have no idea where he'll be going so that leaves a wide open field of suggestions.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1023 on: January 02, 2020, 11:43:37 AM »
Steer back end of month/early next. We will recall Sarkic and let Kalinic leave as planned this month

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1024 on: January 02, 2020, 11:44:59 AM »
That seems an unnecessary gamble. Would rather Kalinic than Sarkic, but okay!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:48:11 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1025 on: January 02, 2020, 11:45:31 AM »
We could also swop Kalinic with one of the keepers of the club he'll be joining.

Obviously have no idea where he'll be going so that leaves a wide open field of suggestions.

That young fella Gollini at Atalanta looks alright.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1026 on: January 02, 2020, 11:52:17 AM »
That seems an unnecessary gamble. Would rather Kalinic than Sarkic, but okay!

Steer and Nyland to fight for number 1. Sarkic 3rd option. Don’t think it’s risky or bad at all (as long as our keeper injury crisis has stopped)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1027 on: January 02, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »
Yeah, that's fine. I meant until Steer is back. It's a gamble to try to get through January and, possibly, early February with only one recognised goalkeeper.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1028 on: January 02, 2020, 11:56:34 AM »
It may be that after yesterday, 5 central defenders are enough - Unless Deano doesn't want to expose Konsa long term to a relegation scrap or Chester is leaving in Jan.  No way will Hause be used as a LB except in an emergency.

Regarding the keeper, I agree that Nyland deserves his chance.  I think he still has a mistake in him somewhere but with Steer to come back, I'm comfortable with what we have, even allowing for the potential sale of Kalinic this month.

For me, we need to strengthen the midfield and if we stick with the system played on Saturday then Trez/ElGahzi could also be improved on.  The names of Benrahma and Bowen immediately spring to mind.  It's also looking like we may need to bring 2 strikers in, in January now which will be no mean task.  After those 4 positions have been addressed, then we can worry about a keeper or central defender.

That said, as it's likely that we're going to be using the loan market after all, it might be that those 2 positions prove easier to fill.  The 4 I've highlighted will be far more difficult.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1029 on: January 02, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
Sturridge has 4 goals and 4 assists in 9 League games so far this season and 3 goals in 2 games in the Cup.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #1030 on: January 02, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »
Worth considering Ollie Watkins?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1031 on: January 02, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
Sturridge has 4 goals and 4 assists in 9 League games so far this season and 3 goals in 2 games in the Cup.
Him managing 9 league games must be some sort of record for him.
It’s a big no from me for the arm waving injury prone twat.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1032 on: January 02, 2020, 12:03:28 PM »

We don't need another forward for the treatment room, we need one on the pitch.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1033 on: January 02, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
Doesn't this apply to most of our youngsters we loan them out for experience but they never seem to improve  enough to come back.

The either sink or swim. Most of ours are the former with Jack being the exception. As I recall Jack got plenty of games time with Notts County whereas a lot of the other players don’t seem to get game time due to injuries or attitude etc.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1034 on: January 02, 2020, 12:06:40 PM »
I think our attention needs to be focused on strikers, midfield cover and another experience CH. I'm happy with the goalkeeping situation. All being well Steer is back soon. Sarkic, if we do recall him isn't a bad option to have. Even Kalinic, may well come good if called upon. A lot was expected of him, he came with a fine reputation, so I don't think he's a bad keeper. Nyland I think deserves his chance. He was actually coming good just prior to his injury last season after his shaky start. He's done well when he's played this season too, in difficult circumstance in his league appearences too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal