collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 12:59:18 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464283 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #735 on: December 27, 2019, 09:29:18 PM »
Benteke would be a huge mistake, he is physically and mentally spent.
Check what Palace fans think of him.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #736 on: December 27, 2019, 09:31:19 PM »
Mitrovic scored in 4 of his last 31 league appearances last season so I wouldn't be in a rush to chuck a load of money at him.
Exactly this.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #737 on: December 27, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »
Benteke return may be on the cards. Loan to buy (from what I’ve heard last night)

Wouldn't be the worst shout ever, Palace seem safe already and Bentekes next move if he doesn't start scoring goals soon is the MLS or China.

He also has the EUROs coming up next summer. I can't see him getting near the Belgium side right now so a move may be on his mind.

Apart from Belgium's very last game when he scored twice and missed two sitters.

Hodgson on Benetke

"Everybody knows that when they get a chance they need to show a goal threat and get some goals". “He knows that too. That is what he is saying he wants to do – it isn’t much more complicated than that.

“He will get his chances. He will have to fight with the competition of the other two strikers we have. And when he gets in the team he will have to make sure he plays well, goes out and creates chances for us and scores goals for us which will mean we want to keep him in the team.
I am afraid that in the two-and-a-half years I have been here, I have not seen the best of Christian Benteke. I can’t criticise his work rate. And his desire always comes out – not least when he speaks to the press.

“The only problem for me is that I have to see it is in Crystal Palace shirt on the field of play, because unfortunately however hard you work in training and however much you try to put your case forward, at the end of the day, when you are the centre-forward of a football club it all comes down to what you do on a Saturday afternoon"

All as quoted by Roy Hogdson
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:27:17 PM by Vill I An »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #738 on: December 27, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »

Roy Hogdson is an intentionally renowned manager so he knows a good player when he sees one.
If he not selecting Benetke then that's because he knows he's not up to standard. As he said in his comments on him after playing Cyprus

Roy to reporter on Benetke

"His Belgium goals will give him confidence, absolutely. But once again you are placing an awful lot of importance on a couple of goals against Cyprus in a 6-0 win.

“If he had just scored a hat-trick against Germany in Germany, I think the case would be a lot stronger than you are trying to make.”
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:29:58 PM by Vill I An »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #739 on: December 27, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »

Roy Hogdson is an intentionally renowned manager so he knows a good player when he sees one.
If he not selecting Benetke then that's because he knows he's not up to standard. As he said in his comments on him

So Hodgson always gets it right with players and coaching? If that's the case why has he worked at something like 20 clubs?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #740 on: December 27, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
I would've been well up for Benteke two years ago.

Just feel like it's the wrong move now. He hardly scores nowadays and think his mobility has been reduced with the injuries he's had so it won't be the guy roaming around the pitch like in his first season here.

He also seems to have lost a bit of motivation to me. Seems he always wanted to live in London given his quotes when he moved to us so he's now doing that and pretty happy being a squad striker there.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #741 on: December 27, 2019, 10:48:52 PM »

Just feel like it's the wrong move now. He hardly scores nowadays and think his mobility has been reduced with the injuries he's had so it won't be the guy roaming around the pitch like in his first season here.

He also seems to have lost a bit of motivation to me. Seems he always wanted to live in London given his quotes when he moved to us so he's now doing that and pretty happy being a squad striker there.

4 goals in last 61 games, fair to say he is miles of the player he once was.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #742 on: December 27, 2019, 10:51:46 PM »

If he not selecting Benetke then that's because he knows he's not up to standard. As he said in his comments on him

So Hodgson always gets it right with players and coaching? If that's the case why has he worked at something like 20 clubs?
So you think a Hodgson has got it wrong with Benteke.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #743 on: December 27, 2019, 10:51:53 PM »

4 goals in last 61 games, fair to say he is miles of the player he once was.

No doubt that's the case. It's also fair to say that Palace haven't been set up to create many chances since Hodgson has been there. Added to that, even at his best Benteke was always a bit streaky and the lack of goals have meant he's not been in the side regularly enough to build up a head of steam.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #744 on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:28 PM »
But we don't make many chances. We've gone from a position of making around 20 a game down to no more than a handful if we're lucky. Our biggest problem isn't having a centre-forward not putting chances away, it's that we've stopped creating those chances.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #745 on: December 27, 2019, 11:25:30 PM »

So you think a Hodgson has got it wrong with Benteke.

It's not a perfect science. To suggest Hodgson by being an internaionally renowned manager should know a good player isn't exactly true as all managers make mistakes when buying or selling. In this case I am suggesting he either isn't a Hodgson type player or the manager cannot use based on the way he wants to play. After all it was Pardew who signed him from Liverpool.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #746 on: December 27, 2019, 11:26:00 PM »
El Ghazi had two of the easiest chances yesterday. No doubt two fans sitting in the Upper North Stand went home each with a match ball.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #747 on: December 28, 2019, 01:02:15 AM »
Who among us would have predeicted Jordan Ayew would be keeping Benteke out the Crystal Palace team in 2019? A team with with good with good wide players.

I have always wated Woy, even when he was at the Stripey's. War Hammer. Wo Amma.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #748 on: December 28, 2019, 07:27:18 AM »
What about Andre Ayew? Been brilliant for Swansea and experienced. 18 months left on his deal and they're always looking to sell. Much better player than Trez or Anwar.

Him and Joe Allen would give us a lot more experience in areas we need it. A couple of players in the 28-32 range would really make a difference IMO.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #749 on: December 28, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »
no thanks - we got burned on one brother and the other one is just as temperamental, plus he's on huge coin.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal