collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464660 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #585 on: December 23, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »
Promising article about January:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/50894893

Doesn't sound like we are too worried about FFP currently.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #586 on: December 23, 2019, 09:11:09 PM »
Why would Leeds, in the position that they’re in currently, and Kelvin Phillips for that matter join us right now. If we were going to sign him it was last summer not now. You may as well say sign Harry Kane.

We need a proven striker, a proven PL performer or someone from overseas that plays in a top league. That’s just for starters. Wishlist striker would be Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, he knows were the back of the net is but could we get him and go 2 up top with Wes?  He’d cost the thick end of 60 million but he’d get goals and keep us up.

Kelvin Phillips was wanted in summer I think for £14 million but they wanted double that. Thought he went to play for Anderlecht and Kompany but that was Keymar Roofe and he left So  Phillips if money was right may come to Villa it's getting the fee with these things.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #587 on: December 23, 2019, 09:16:10 PM »
The Phillips ship has sailed. For now, at least.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #588 on: December 23, 2019, 09:23:41 PM »
We need an experienced holding player. Someone who can shore things up a bit and lead. A Premier League Whelan.

No names jump out to me tbh

Granit Xhaka
Adam Lallana

Lallana would be very interesting he's someone who can look after the ball and played as a deep lying midfielder for Liverpool in semi of World club cup .
Ultimately see him having to move away for regular playing time and If he wants to got o Euro 2020 then ideal . Similarly Xhaka may look for a new start and would have the steel that Villa need. Smith would just need to work on his discipline but both have good experience at this level.

I see Midfield at Villa a real weakness at the moment and that's costing games
Wanyama and Matic who was already mentioned the only other realistic players.

Mark Noble is to set in his ways at West ham though ideal but unlikely but Iwouldn't want a Jack Cork at Burnley
A compromise between those 2 would be Andrew Surman at Bournemy  but don't how much better than he is to what we have got though has a steady ability on the ball.

So for me I would go  Lallana .

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #589 on: December 23, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
We could really do with early deals so they can get stuck in.  Another three or four games wasted if they wait til the end of the window. Urgency required.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #590 on: December 23, 2019, 10:00:47 PM »
We need an experienced holding player. Someone who can shore things up a bit and lead. A Premier League Whelan.

No names jump out to me tbh

Granit Xhaka
Adam Lallana

Lallana would be very interesting he's someone who can look after the ball and played as a deep lying midfielder for Liverpool in semi of World club cup .
Ultimately see him having to move away for regular playing time and If he wants to got o Euro 2020 then ideal . Similarly Xhaka may look for a new start and would have the steel that Villa need. Smith would just need to work on his discipline but both have good experience at this level.

I see Midfield at Villa a real weakness at the moment and that's costing games
Wanyama and Matic who was already mentioned the only other realistic players.

Mark Noble is to set in his ways at West ham though ideal but unlikely but Iwouldn't want a Jack Cork at Burnley
A compromise between those 2 would be Andrew Surman at Bournemy  but don't how much better than he is to what we have got though has a steady ability on the ball.

So for me I would go  Lallana .
Nonsense

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #591 on: December 23, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »
I was talking to a disgruntled Spurs taxi driver earlier. He was moaning that Winks isn't getting a look in as he's not a 'Mourinho player'. No idea whether that's true, but if it is, a loan for him to play at the base of midfield would gruntle me.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #592 on: December 23, 2019, 11:42:05 PM »
The bigger problem is getting the ball moving quickly in midfield I know a lot of people have decided Wesley is the worst striker the club has ever had (or similar) but for me the bigger problem is that he either gets the ball pumped up at his head or he gets a couple of seconds too late. I don't know what we do in training but I haven't seen much sign of us forming into a confident team who know each other and are playing to their strengths.

Getting in a striker who can work with the broken build up we have and hold up the ball as a focal point would be a good idea (it's what Davis does and it's why he's looked like a good option in his little cameos). For me it's more about game management more than goals, which is also why we're conceding loads despite having decent defenders.

Not convinced that's true to be honest. It's pretty much the same midfield Tammy was playing infront of. We're not as effective as we were at Championship level but we still get territory, we just have a forward who doesn't make life difficult for defenders.

I'm not writing him off and hope he turns it round, but he is our biggest single problem at the moment.

but last season we were moving the ball quicker, and even at the start of this season as well but then we started getting a bit nervy and taking an extra touch or 2 and suddenly every team started to figure us out. Compare how we played at the weekend to the first few games of the season and we look a totally different team, now everything is tentative and played quite softly so there's loads of time for defenders to get in position to crowd players out or steal possession.

There's loads of comments about our lack of pace but I think it's more the lack of anticipation and understanding, we look slow in reaction more than flat out pace, to many players on their heels waiting for the guy on the ball to make a decision for them when they should be moving and creating space for him.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #593 on: December 24, 2019, 07:34:17 AM »
Bowen please, on January 1st. Plus some others.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #594 on: December 24, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
We really messed up not signing bowen and going for trezuget in my opinion. Id rather have had bowen over jota and trez combined

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #595 on: December 24, 2019, 11:06:23 AM »
The bigger problem is getting the ball moving quickly in midfield I know a lot of people have decided Wesley is the worst striker the club has ever had (or similar) but for me the bigger problem is that he either gets the ball pumped up at his head or he gets a couple of seconds too late. I don't know what we do in training but I haven't seen much sign of us forming into a confident team who know each other and are playing to their strengths.

Getting in a striker who can work with the broken build up we have and hold up the ball as a focal point would be a good idea (it's what Davis does and it's why he's looked like a good option in his little cameos). For me it's more about game management more than goals, which is also why we're conceding loads despite having decent defenders.

Not convinced that's true to be honest. It's pretty much the same midfield Tammy was playing infront of. We're not as effective as we were at Championship level but we still get territory, we just have a forward who doesn't make life difficult for defenders.

I'm not writing him off and hope he turns it round, but he is our biggest single problem at the moment.

but last season we were moving the ball quicker, and even at the start of this season as well but then we started getting a bit nervy and taking an extra touch or 2 and suddenly every team started to figure us out. Compare how we played at the weekend to the first few games of the season and we look a totally different team, now everything is tentative and played quite softly so there's loads of time for defenders to get in position to crowd players out or steal possession.

There's loads of comments about our lack of pace but I think it's more the lack of anticipation and understanding, we look slow in reaction more than flat out pace, to many players on their heels waiting for the guy on the ball to make a decision for them when they should be moving and creating space for him.

Your last point is the key for me, although I actually don't think we're moving the ball through midfield that slowly, I think it looks that way because at the moment it's very easy for defences to follow as it's all happening in front of them, since practically none of the front three seem to make clever runs either in behind or into areas which force defenders into awkward decisions - we know Jack needs to come towards the ball so that he can make things happen, so he's no threat to run in behind, nor can Wesley, who can't even make a nuisance of himself in the box right now. That leaves just El Ghazi or Trezeguet, whoever's on the pitch, and neither of them are instinctive with their off-the-ball movement either. So, basically, it seems like all the defence has to do is watch us pass the ball around in the middle of the pitch, 15 yards from the edge of the box, and just wait for the right time to nick it or for us to mess it up ourselves. Then, even when the ball gets worked into decent positions out wide, there's no one who attacks the box with any particular threat.

We all know about Kodjia's issues, that he's pretty dismal at winning aerial duels or physical battles and that he has serious tunnel vision, but he at least has the ability to receive a ball played into his feet and then roll his marker if they get too aggressive or careless, and he offers at least some semblance of being able to run in behind - just look at the two corners he won prior to Jack's goal on the weekend, he actually made the defenders have to do something a little more than just pushing into Wesley until he fell over or gave the ball away. Whoever comes in January either has to offer that sort of mobility, or otherwise have that poacher's instinct to make up for it (Batshuayi falls in the latter category), and I think with McGinn out now, Grealish has to move back into midfield, to be replaced by a wideman who moves well without the ball, because right now all defenders have to worry about is whoever has the ball, not whoever could potentially receive the ball.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 11:11:01 AM by passitsideways »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #596 on: December 24, 2019, 11:32:40 AM »
We really messed up not signing bowen and going for trezuget in my opinion. Id rather have had bowen over jota and trez combined

I'd rather have had Jim Bowen than Trezeguet.  But yes to Jarrod.  Another one I'd consider is McNeill at Burnley, puts some decent crosses in and works hard as well.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #597 on: December 24, 2019, 11:49:47 AM »
Isn’t one of our biggest issues lack of experience at this level?
I think Bowen is a great player, but look where he is playing.
Should we risk blowing a significant amount of money one someone who ‘could’ make the step up at this time?
Truth is, we are in a relegation battle and desperately need some experience and nouse.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #598 on: December 24, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
I was talking to a disgruntled Spurs taxi driver earlier. He was moaning that Winks isn't getting a look in as he's not a 'Mourinho player'. No idea whether that's true, but if it is, a loan for him to play at the base of midfield would gruntle me.
Doubt they will sell or loan him, but very impressed with him this season. Think we might go back for Joe Lolley.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #599 on: December 24, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
From Greg Evans writing in The Athletic

Aston Villa are approaching the January transfer window with a clear plan that does not hinge on results over the Christmas period.

Head coach Dean Smith wants a striker who can also play out wide but has been told to scour the loan market rather than seek another expensive arrival. Villa spent £120 million on a summer rebuild and will not be splashing the cash next month.

Werder Bremen wideman Milot Rashica is a player of interest but Villa can’t afford the £35 million-rated Kosovo international this season. Sources have also told The Athletic that the 23-year-old wants Champions League football if he were to leave his current club.

It’s understood that unless there are any injuries, a maximum of three new signings — ideally a forward, winger and an attacking midfielder — will be targeted to help boost the squad in 2020. Villa also hope they can arrange temporary deals, possibly with a view to making them permanent in the summer.

Smith has been given the reassurance that he can strengthen his squad if it suddenly becomes depleted and when asked if there was scope to replace the injured John McGinn with either a permanent signing or a short-term fix, he said: “Yes, definitely. When you lose key players it changes our stance a little bit in the market.

“Losing John is a big blow for us and while it gives opportunities to some of the other lads, we’re also looking at what is out there to help improve us.“

With the current forward options limited in the English market, it’s understood Villa will look to Europe for a striker on loan. Sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch — known as Suso during his playing days in Spain — knows the Spanish, French and Portuguese leagues well and is currently exploring possible options. Tentative enquiries over Rashica’s availability and price tag have already taken place but it’s a non-starter for now.

Early business is unlikely: Villa will wait until the middle-to-late weeks of January before making a move. In the meantime, the need for additional points to drag the club away from the relegation zone is growing.

Crunch games over Christmas and leading into the New Year can help define the season but the recruitment team will not be forced into panic-buying if results go against them.

Villa still have to be aware of Financial Fair Play regulations following years of heavy spending. Losses are calculated on a three-year cycle and the club was understood to be close to the limit last season before Villa Park was sold to co-owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens in a £56.7 million deal. The move helped ensure Villa complied with the EFL’s profit and sustainability rules, which allow Championship clubs to lose a maximum of £39 million during that period.

Of course, Villa’s revenue streams have increased this season and the losses can be widened by a further £35 million a season in the Premier League, taking the total losses over a three-year period to around £61 million following promotion. Villa can also free up further funds through player sales, if required, but there are no plans to balance the books in such a way.

The hope is that the club can get through this next window with a low spend. That will then allow for more freedom to increase the outlay next season if relegation is avoided.

With that in mind, there will be no transfer records broken in the weeks ahead. Darren Bent inspired Villa to safety back in 2011 after arriving in an £18 million deal but this time around, Villa decided to do most of their main business before the season started: a considered spending spree helping rebuild the squad following promotion.

Strategic in their planning, Villa prefer to do the bulk of their business in the summer window as they feel it represents better value. Already, some of the signings from July and August have increased in value and the hope is they will continue to develop as the season goes on.

“I’ve seen enough of them to see they’re progressing as a team and getting better,” suggested Smith. “There certainly won’t be a raft of players (signed next month). It will be fine-tuning, if anything, because we made 12 signings in the summer.”

Still, finding a regular goalscorer remains the priority. Wesley’s strike rate has decreased in the Premier League and with Keinan Davis missing the last two months through injury, the alternative options are slim. Interestingly, a host of Championship clubs are keen on taking Davis out of Villa but Smith has no intention of letting him leave regardless of the business he is able to get done.

Smith also knows that the right addition could be the difference when it comes to staying in the Premier League at the first attempt and then kicking on next term.

Villa wanted to sign Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham in the summer after a successful loan period but didn’t even get to the negotiating table as they knew he would be too expensive. Neal Maupay was also deemed too much at £20 million, so Brighton & Hove Albion pounced.

Smith would have liked that fourth striker but Villa simply couldn’t afford to spend any more. After lengthy discussions with Suso and CEO Christian Purslow, they now hope to fill that gap with a loan signing.

He still remains a big fan of Brentford’s Said Benrahma but the money is not available to sign him. The Bees wanted £20 million for the winger in the summer and they’re unlikely to relax their asking price five months on, sitting in sixth place. A move for the 24-year-old Algerian at the end of the season could follow if the Championship club fail to win promotion.

For now, whether a striker and a winger can be sourced on loan remains to be seen. Last January was chaotic and uncertain as Smith was trying to rebuild a squad that was severely short on defensive cover while also fighting to keep loan star Abraham, who attracted serious interest from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The loan signings of Tyrone Mings and Kortney Hause proved astute and Villa are hoping for similar success this time around.

All thoughts are geared towards Premier League survival and a steady progression thereafter, so there’s no need to move players on. But if suitable offers come in for some of the fringe players then Villa will not stand in their way.

With just six months left on his contract, Jonathan Kodjia could well attract further interest from France and Qatar. Villa are yet to open discussions over a new deal, so his situation remains uncertain at this stage.

The hope is that an offer for Lovre Kalinic, the fourth-choice goalkeeper, is forthcoming. The Croatian international, signed for £7 million last January, has endured a nightmare year at the club and wants to be playing football again.

Andre Green’s miserable loan spell at Preston North End is expected to be cancelled in January and Villa will look to move him on elsewhere as the 21-year-old winger searches for much-needed game time.

Discussions also need to take place with Callum O’Hare and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy as they are both out of contract in the summer and currently out on loan at Coventry City and Tranmere Rovers respectively

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal